Prince Philip, 97, escapes unhurt from car crash

webfact

3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

My guess is he managed to hit the accelerator instead of the brake. My uncle did the same at 85; he stopped driving after that!

My wife did it 58 and she hasn't driven since either!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

My guess is he managed to hit the accelerator instead of the brake. My uncle did the same at 85; he stopped driving after that!

I guess that never happens to people under 85. Probably only drive drunk while they're texting as well.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

From the diagram he was at fault, suspect he will be reported for driving without due care and attention, and takes the "Driver Awareness Coarse" option, thereby not being prosecuted, and probably agree (to her who must be obeyed) not to drive on public roads. 

A diagram produced by a national newspaper, not by the police!

To have hit the land Rover hard enough to roll it twice and looking at where both vehicles ended up the Kia must have been travelling at considerable speed; probably greater than the 60mph limit.The Duke of Edinburgh's Land Rover overturned

That stretch of road is an accident blackspot, and Norfolk CC have already discussed and agreed to reduce the limit to 50 mph and install average speed cameras along it's length. Prince Philip A149 crash road speed limit 'to be reduced'

There were 40 accidents, five of which were fatal, on the A149, which is the main route to the Norfolk coast, in the six years from 2012-2018.

A council report recommends lowering the maximum speed limit and installing average speed cameras along the road between the Knights Hill roundabout and Snettisham - an idea originally proposed in 2015.

The average speed camera system would cover the A149 from the junction with the A148, about two and a half miles south of the crash scene, to Snettisham, six miles to the north.

Residents have previously raised concerns about a number of junctions along the A149, which is used by more than 15,000 vehicles a day.

Whether or not the police prosecute anyone is, of course, up to them. But in most situations like this, where there was only minimal injury, they wont and will leave the matter of blame to the insurance companies to sort out (as they did when I was side swiped by a lorry cutting into my lane on the Hanger Lane gyratory last December).

Though the police may have measured the Kia's skid marks to determine it's speed, even if it's driver was speeding, as the Prince crossed a give way line the best he can hope for is 'knock for knock.'

Wonder what his excess is and if his no claims bonus is protected!

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree.

The accident was clearly his fault and at 97 he shouldn't (IMO) be allowed to drive on public roads anymore.

The royal family have HUGE personal, estates - and so if he loves driving so much, he should be restricted to that personally owned land..

A very good point.  Personally, I think around 80 is probably a good age to be taken off the road - even if passing the mandatory 3 year testing?

It would be interesting to know how many ordinary people over the age of 80 have passed the mandatory testing.

For some people, perhaps the age when they are fit enough to drive, should be restricted 50, while others could still be sharpe enough at 90. 

It all depends on the individual. Although I think a medical should be compulsive from a certain age.

On U.K news this morning, there are over 100,000 people, over the age of 90, who are still driving. 

It was a Freelander 2 and as such not considered a real Land Rover by many including me.( Monocoque with a 4 pot diesel). My Disco 2 has a separate chassis, a V8 and weighs 2 tonnes. 

This Solihull machine would not have rolled. But the Kia and occupants would have been in bad shape.

I agree that driving at that age is not sensible. I also suspect that the Royal foot slipped; I've done that myself.

The King should have a chauffeur for the highway, DefenderS for the estates. And a Range Rover for shooting lunches off the capacious drop down rear gate. Tally Ho!

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So a foot slipping on the brake can happen at any age?

At the risk of boring everyone, I have type 2 diabetes and as a result of peripheral neuropathy I lose track of where my limbs are without checking. So on occasion I assume my foot is square on the pedal but it's actually on the floor between pedals. I need to park my 2 tonnes of Birmingham steel I think. So should my friend Phil the Greek!

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

At the risk of boring everyone, I have type 2 diabetes and as a result of peripheral neuropathy I lose track of where my limbs are without checking. So on occasion I assume my foot is square on the pedal but it's actually on the floor between pedals. I need to park my 2 tonnes of Birmingham steel I think. So should my friend Phil the Greek!

Without sounding harsh, you might be a bigger risk than Phil.

I'm amazed he could walk away from that accident without any injuries. Well done ! 

I think anyone over 90 should be tested every year , if they are fit to drive. Now it's every 3 years, and the brain can suddenly "stop working" at that age. 

But compared with Thailand this is like a walk in the park. 

Looking at the picture I wounder if the Landrover actually spun twice? eye witness reports can often be "over dramatic", IMHO looks like he was hit while turning to the right on the rear right side, possibly already half way over the centre line, 180 pirouette, and flipped on it's side, I doubt he could have been doing the speed or the Kia have enough weight to cause the Landrover to do a double pike and 3 half twists...

And one must remember Obama complimented him on his driving.

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Looking at the picture I wounder if the Landrover actually spun twice? eye witness reports can often be "over dramatic", IMHO looks like he was hit while turning to the right on the rear right side, possibly already half way over the centre line, 180 pirouette, and flipped on it's side, I doubt he could have been doing the speed or the Kia have enough weight to cause the Landrover to do a double pike and 3 half twists...

I Say Mr Derick, 10 for the 3 half twists. 

It is a bit odd how a Kia managed to flip a landrover twice - even if the Kia was travelling too fast?

I only say this as hubby and I were once driving a rented, small, jeep - and coming to a T junction with limited visibility from the right, hubby stopped at the junction (as we didn't have 'right of way') and, seeing nothing coming, pulled out to turn right.

Unfortunately, an SUV (travelling FAR too fast) appeared over the hill and hit our vehicle on the side.

Even though our vehicle was tiny and had very little weight compared to the SUV - it was only turned over onto it's side, and pushed some way along the road.

My father (RIP) used to drive to and from the supermarket in Leicester (UK) when he was 89 years old and was caring for my disabled mum at home - my father refused all help.

Let me just say that it was akin to a miracle each time that he reached the supermarket safely and returned home as well without causing a major accident.

I apologise to all those drivers who were forced to take avoiding action when my father was on the roads ????

Oh - when his time came, it wasn't as a result of a car accident...

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

I doubt he could have been doing the speed or the Kia have enough weight to cause the Landrover to do a double pike and 3 half twists...

Driving or diving?

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

My father (RIP) used to drive to and from the supermarket in Leicester (UK) when he was 89 years old and was caring for my disabled mum at home - my father refused all help.

Let me just say that it was akin to a miracle each time that he reached the supermarket safely and returned home as well without causing a major accident.

I apologise to all those drivers who were forced to take avoiding action when my father was on the roads ????

Oh - when his time came, it wasn't as a result of a car accident...

Have a similar problem with my mum, for years I have being advising my mum she is not fit to drive, before getting the automatic car she has now, (some 8 years ago) she had a manual when starting off in first gear she was so slow changing gear she would be stationary before getting into second gear, the automatic did help for a few years but then her driving was so bad that at least for the last two with a succession of falls, fractures and ops she has not been able to drive, but she keeps telling the doctors that she wants to drive when she is better, It is very clear that her reaction time are slow and is often unable to comprehend what is going on around her, I her her say how good some doctors are and how bad others are, her carer who accompanies her to hospital appointments fills me in afterwards, it seems the nice doctors are the one who pacify her and the ones she does not like are the realistic ones who try to point out that she will probably never be fit enough to drive again.

Even driving my mother can be a pain as an ex driving instructor she is a terrible backseat driver, the other week my sister was driving my mum, I was following behind, she comes to a road junction she indicated left, then stops then continues straight on, I knew straight away what happened, it did not make any difference which way they went, but my mum knows different, did not matter which way my sister was intending to go she was going to be wrong.  

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Even driving my mother can be a pain as an ex driving instructor she is a terrible backseat driver,

I always remember during my instructor training my instructor telling me: "A good way to practice is to make a mental note of the faults committed by others when they are driving you; BUT DON'T TELL THEM!!!"

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Have a similar problem with my mum ...

My Mom did fine for about 86 years, many of those in a manual.  3 1/2 years ago she broke her hip.  Then her wrist. Lots of falls.  Now at 90, she has an exceedingly difficult time even plopping her rear end into the passenger seat or into a chair. Can't "drive" one of those rollator walkers worth a darn.  Done a face-plant or two. Signed her up at an assisted living home yesterday.

Had an aunt and cousin in failing health.  The old farmer across the street volunteered to drive them to doctor appointments if they needed.  I think he was 95 at the time, still driving.  Yeah, right.  I think that guy lived to be 99 or a hundred.

2 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My Mom did fine for about 86 years, many of those in a manual...……..Now at 90...…….,

So she started driving when she was 4!?

How did she reach the pedals?

(I'm joking, I know that's not what you meant.)

Archived