Prince Philip, 97, escapes unhurt from car crash

webfact

Just now, robblok said:

You really think that the prince would have to take a test as the normal people. I like it how naive you are. 

I never suggested over 70 should be dead or in a nursing home.. they should be tested to see if they become drama queens like you who take everything as a personal insult. 

Perhaps because I get sick of your constant bashing of the elderly, a history that goes back many years on this forum. I see you never actually responded to the fact that the prince has had one accident that we know of, and I'm sure it would be reported if he was a hazard on the road, and yet that one accident has caused you to call for all the elderly to be tested regularly. As I said, par for the course.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Perhaps because I get sick of your constant bashing of the elderly, a history that goes back many years on this forum. I see you never actually responded to the fact that the prince has had one accident that we know of, and I'm sure it would be reported if he was a hazard on the road, and yet that one accident has caused you to call for all the elderly to be tested regularly. As I said, par for the course.

Do show me my last bash of old people (what you view as bashing old people that is).. because I get really bored of remarks like that. There would have been countless opportunities to do so and I have not. Must be at least 1 or 2 years ago maybe even more.

One accident is all it takes and in this case he was in the wrong, the situation seems easy enough when entering a road you have to check if other cars are coming. He obviously did not do that. There is a lot of information about older people who respond slower and slower. I don't see why the prince would be an exception. 

Besides I made it clear in all my posts that I would not be the one judging anyone but that people should be tested. Thankfully its the law in many countries. Will you attack the people who thought up the law ? 

It happened in the UK, not Thailand, so to those saying that it would all be overlooked because he is a member of the royal family, here is some old news about one of Princess Anne's brushes with the law. "The 50-year-old princess was caught driving her luxury Bentley at 93 mph in a 70-mph speed zone near her home Gatcombe Park in Gloucestershire, England, on Aug. 27, 2000. She was fined $570."

To conclude, if he has done something wrong, he will be charged for it. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I believe older drivers should be regularly tested to see if they can still drive good, how their eyesight is and how their reaction speeds are. They can become a danger quite fast. I have seen it in my family. To act like this is not the case is just foolish. That being said there should not be a mandatory age but checks, so those that can drive should be able too.

I believe this too... and its not unreasonable... 

I can see the deterioration in my fathers driving (he's 80) we've had disagreements about it, he still drives too quickly, cuts corners and is clearly not as sharp as he used to be. I am no longer comfortable with my father driving with my family in the car and thus don't let that happen.

True Story: In the UK my sister was following a car, it was driving erratically and was not keeping within the lane, my sister thought DUI and pulled over to call the Police. After the call, 10mins down the road there was a traffic jam... caused by an accident... A head on accident. 

An elderly gentleman have veered across the road into the path on an oncoming SUV. Those in the SUV survived with non-life threatening injuries. The elderly gentleman survived, his wife died in the accident. The former Mayor of Worcester is no remembered not for his life of contribution to society but for one accident...  According to my sister who was following him, he should not have been driving, his driving was so poor it caused my sister to pull over and call the police. 

In short, anyone who's been in an accident where the blame is attributed to them needs to be tested for driving fitness.

For the benefit of the safety of everyone on the roads anyone beyond a 'pre-determined age' (I'd suggest 65) should be 'evaluated' for 'driving fitness' on a regular basis (every couple of years).

I don't see anything wrong with this at all, its not 'ageist' its common sense and the only people who would object are those who it may effect, those who are too proud to admit that their reactions and response are slowing, those who can envisage a potential loss of their freedom... and do those people I ask - 'Is your freedom worth someone else life ?'

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It happened in the UK, not Thailand, so to those saying that it would all be overlooked because he is a member of the royal family, here is some old news about one of Princess Anne's brushes with the law. "The 50-year-old princess was caught driving her luxury Bentley at 93 mph in a 70-mph speed zone near her home Gatcombe Park in Gloucestershire, England, on Aug. 27, 2000. She was fined $570."

To conclude, if he has done something wrong, he will be charged for it. 

If you say so, I am not sure the royals in my country live by the same laws. I think certain things will certainly be hidden. Not all.. but I am certain they have more privileges. 

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

HRH should be charged with driving without due care & attention. Dazzled by the sun? Rubbish, the Kia was coming from the North, but the sun goes via the South.

Police were called shortly before 15:00hrs. That's 3pm in other words. The A149 runs due south and the B1439, the road HRH was on, comes in at about 80 degrees, roughly WNW if you understand compass jargon.

At that time in the winter months, HRH would indeed have been driving directly into the setting sun which be at around 4:15pm. Still no excuse though, but at least a mitigating factor.

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Police said two people in a car that collided with that of the prince........

Implies that it was the fault of the Kia driver.

Certainly not. HRHs RRover was coming out of a country lane onto a main road. The Kia driver probably had no time to brake and prevent the collision because Phil was 'dazzled by the sun'. In the North ????

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Police were called shortly before 15:00hrs. That's 3pm in other words. The A149 runs due south and the B1439, the road HRH was on, comes in at about 80 degrees, roughly WNW if you understand compass jargon.

At that time in the winter months, HRH would indeed have been driving directly into the setting sun which be at around 4:15pm. Still no excuse though, but at least a mitigating factor.

But the Kia was coming from the North. And the B1439 is facing WSW at the junction.

697926482_Annotation2019-01-18161428.jpg.029a5c0b8cfb9d3c2ec3f00412dbc2ea.jpg

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:
4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But the Kia was coming from the North.

Like I said, only a mitigating factor. Driving around that area, which I did a lot of in my RAF days, is very similar to driving around Issan. In the mornings and the evenings the sun can be very distracting.

And it's well known that older folks' eyes are slower to adjust to changing light conditions, than us younger folk. (said with his tongue in his cheek!) ????

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Like I said, only a mitigating factor. Driving around that area, which I did a lot of in my RAF days, is very similar to driving around Issan. In the mornings and the evenings the sun can be very distracting.

And it's well known that older folks' eyes are slower to adjust to changing light conditions, than us younger folk. (said with his tongue in his cheek!) ????

Similar to driving around Issan:cheesy:

I think you should not be driving, if you think Lincolnshire quiet roads are similar to Issan.

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Similar to driving around Issan:cheesy:

I think you should not be driving, if you think Lincolnshire quiet roads are similar to Issan.

I've spent many happy hours riding around the quiet roads in my little corner of Issan. And it is, indeed very comparable to the quiet roads of Norfolk as I remember them.

Just now, Moonlover said:

I've spent many happy hours riding around the quiet roads in my little corner of Issan. And it is, indeed very comparable to the quiet roads of Norfolk as I remember them.

Why are you posting nonsense?

I have lived in Lincolnshire, spent time around there when i was in the R.A.F.

lIVE FULL TIME IN iSSAN, it is 2 completely different worlds.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

And I said he is tested, as are all people over 70 in the UK every 3 years. That's the law, live with it and stop trying to suggest that everyone over 70 should either be dead or in a nursing home. Young drivers are a far greater risk to themselves and others than the elderly. perhaps they should undergo driver training regularly.

WHAT? Over 70s tested every three years. Rubbish. You fill in a form to say 'Yes I can read a number plate, I do not have epilepsy or other mental problems' but tested.....no way, but should be. I have just re-newed my DL at 70 online from here..

From gov.uk

Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale(with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

Anybody EVER had a test, or heard of, the Snellen Scale?

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

He will need a doctors certificate like anybody else to renew his driving licence every 3 year which he would have probably done last year.

The problem many doctors are reluctant to refuse issue such certs.

I just re-newed mine at 70 ONLINE. Doctor's Certificate....what's that?

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I think Moonlover is saying that Sandringham is in Norfolk, not Lincolnshire.

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

WHAT? Over 70s tested every three years. Rubbish. You fill in a form to say 'Yes I can read a number plate, I do not have epilepsy or other mental problems' but tested.....no way, but should be. I have just re-newed my DL at 70 online from here..

From gov.uk

Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale(with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

Anybody EVER had a test, or heard of, the Snellen Scale?

Yes it grows on Germans Bottoms.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

He will need a doctors certificate like anybody else to renew his driving licence every 3 year which he would have probably done last year.

No, he wouldn't.

All he would need to do, like any other driver aged 70 or above, is sign a declaration to say that he is medically fit to drive. Medical certificates are only required if renewing one's licence after a medical disqualification.

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

The problem many doctors are reluctant to refuse issue such certs.

Not in my experience.

I am epileptic and every time I had a fit I was disqualified from driving for 12 months, and had to get a medical certificate to say I was fit to drive before I could get my licence back. That licence was only valid for three years and I had to get a medical certificate to say I hadn't had a fit in the last three years before I could renew it. When I had been free of fits for 10 years I was allowed a standard licence valid until I'm 70; although I am still restricted to driving vehicles of 3.5 tonnes or less.

One thing for sure if he is physically fit enough, compos mentis and his reaction times are good enough then there is no reason why he should not be allowed to drive.

Indeed, but I believe that older drivers should at least be subject to an eyesight test when renewing; a proper eyesight test. My father drove well into his nineties, despite being blind in one eye and having virtual tunnel vision in other. But he could pass the required eyesight test as it involves merely reading a number plate directly in front of you!

Maybe having older drivers having to do an assessment in a simulator would not be a bad thing before renewing their licence. 

I personally believe that every driver, regardless of age, should have to do this, or even retake the driving test, when renewing their licence. Whether they are under 70 and renewing every 10 years. or over 7o and renewing every 3 years.

10 hours ago, Bullie said:

"Dazzled by winter sunshine", my foot. Advanced old age and poor eyesight are way more likely to be the main causes of this accident.

97 years old - the man should not even be allowed to leave the house unattended!

You do realise, that according to the AA, that you are twice as likely to be killed by a driver under the age of 25yrs, then you are by a driver over 75yrs.

One interesting aspect of this incident, is that the Duke was required to take a breathalyzer test, the same as any other citizen. Is this the same for VIP’s in all countries?

Regarding your comment about dazzled by winter sunshine. I returned to live in the UK. last year,after living in Thailand for 20yrs. And as you can image, it’s a relief to drive here in the U.K. where the standard is so much higher. However one aspect of U.K driving that does give me cause for concern,and sometimes scares the shxt out of me, is how difficult it is sometime to adjust for the low setting of the Sun. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I'm comparing quiet roads and often dazzling sunshine, not worlds!

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

But the Kia was coming from the North. And the B1439 is facing WSW at the junction.

697926482_Annotation2019-01-18161428.jpg.029a5c0b8cfb9d3c2ec3f00412dbc2ea.jpg

Yes, well spotted, I should have said ENE, which would put HRH facing WSW, but still driving into a setting sun of course.

I should have known that. I once lived in Hunstanton and I've been up and down the A149 numerous times!

Archived