Prince Philip, 97, escapes unhurt from car crash

webfact

15 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My Mom did fine for about 86 years, many of those in a manual.  3 1/2 years ago she broke her hip.  Then her wrist. Lots of falls.  Now at 90, she has an exceedingly difficult time even plopping her rear end into the passenger seat or into a chair. Can't "drive" one of those rollator walkers worth a darn.  Done a face-plant or two. Signed her up at an assisted living home yesterday.

Had an aunt and cousin in failing health.  The old farmer across the street volunteered to drive them to doctor appointments if they needed.  I think he was 95 at the time, still driving.  Yeah, right.  I think that guy lived to be 99 or a hundred.

Old age and the ability to drive will get to some people faster than others...

I think that there are many people still fit and with enough marbles to drive at 95+ and others under 70 who should not be driving due to age related issues.

Though now they are pushing up the age they expect us to work to may be the should extend the driving licence to 75 or 80.

Maybe just ask doctors instead asking do you smoke every visit, ask if you drive and consider the patients ability and advise if they are not fit to. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking of the police officer who has to investigate this, it is a poisoned challis, if he finds the other driver at fault or even no driver to blame he will be accused of a cover up, and unless he has actual hard evidence against HRH may end up with his decision being challenged by the courts or senior officers.

As for those who think the Breathalyzer was faked, I do not, if it had been his late sister in law then maybe I would have had doubts, I have known many alcoholics in my life time and confidently would say none of the immediate royal family fits the bill, I think there are too many minions around who have the ear of HM and the Duke, who leads by example, if anything get out of hand then the Duke will have words with Charles, Andrew, Edward or Anne, If say it was Will or Harry then he would tell Charles to sort it, that's the way the Firm works.  

But I was supersized he was not travelling with a close protection office, well at least a chauffeur trained in anti terrorism techniques which may well be the order of the day from now on.  

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

So she started driving when she was 4!?  ...

555.  Got me.  I'll bet she drove tractors or something from an early age, having come from farm country. 

When my brother and I reached driving age, we talked her into buying a stick shift car so we could learn.  She was 40.  Bought a 1969 Chevy Camaro V8.  She continued to buy manuals until she was 65 and Dad could no longer manage a manual with his arthritis.  She said she had "more control" with a manual.  I think the last one was a V6 Accura Legend.  She didn't just putt around. 

18 hours ago, Basil B said:

Looking at the picture I wounder if the Landrover actually spun twice? eye witness reports can often be "over dramatic", IMHO looks like he was hit while turning to the right on the rear right side, possibly already half way over the centre line, 180 pirouette, and flipped on it's side, I doubt he could have been doing the speed or the Kia have enough weight to cause the Landrover to do a double pike and 3 half twists...

And one must remember Obama complimented him on his driving.

hqdefault.jpg.1d9c7ced43d0044e3eea1085584319ca.jpg

PTSD!... it's not just for soldiers and firemen any more.

Prince Philip car crash victim 'not getting enough support from Palace'

A mother of two whose wrist was broken when the car she was in collided with Prince Philip’s Land Rover has told friends she is “unhappy” with the way Buckingham Palace has handled the accident.

The Telegraph can reveal that Emma Fairweather, 45, was the passenger in the Kia car last Thursday when it struck the Duke of Edinburgh’s Land Rover near the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

Ms Fairweather has since complained of feeling “overwhelmed” by the experience of being involved, firstly, in a crash and, secondly, in one involving the husband of the monarch. ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/19/first-picture-prince-philip-car-crash-victim-not-getting-enough/

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

A mother of two whose wrist was broken when the car she was in collided with Prince Philip’s Land Rover has told friends she is “unhappy” with the way Buckingham Palace has handled the accident.

The Telegraph can reveal that Emma Fairweather, 45, was the passenger in the Kia car last Thursday when it struck the Duke of Edinburgh’s Land Rover near the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

Ms Fairweather has since complained of feeling “overwhelmed” by the experience of being involved, firstly, in a crash and, secondly, in one involving the husband of the monarch. ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/19/first-picture-prince-philip-car-crash-victim-not-getting-enough/

I can't read the article, so perhaps I misunderstand - but what support does she expect from the Palace?

Surely it will all be dealt with by the Insurers?

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I can't read the article, so perhaps I misunderstand - but what support does she expect from the Palace?

Well,,,,, a brand new Range Rover has already been delivered to one of the parties involved not sure when the brand new Kia will arrive. ????????

50 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And has it been determined who was at fault or more to the point were they blameless as it has been quoted HRH said the sun was in his eyes. 

As already pointed out there is an issue with vehicles speeding on the road they were travelling and were there road signs warning of the junction, and did they take any notice.

Maybe the mother of two who's wrist was broken should be looking to claim of the driver of the car she was traveling in.

57 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Well,,,,, a brand new Range Rover has already been delivered to one of the parties involved not sure when the brand new Kia will arrive. ????????

It pays to have a good insurer... ????

I just feel sorry for the person who was expecting a brand new Landrover and has just received a call from the show room to say there is a problem with the delivery, wonder what excuse they came up with?

On 1/18/2019 at 8:34 AM, wgdanson said:

ALONE as well. Surely he should have had a security man with him.

A  lady  friend ,   would make a more suitable companion. 

Keep  your hands on the wheel, until later.

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I just feel sorry for the person who was expecting a brand new Landrover and has just received a call from the show room to say there is a problem with the delivery, wonder what excuse they came up with?

Sorry Sir but the main agent delivered your new car in Royal blue so we had to send it back to get another in the colour you requested.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

A gong , will do nicely,  problem solved .

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

I can see the ad' coming up.

Range Rover

Some panel damage.

Low mileage

( Former owner elderly lady who only used it on saturday to nip down to the shop for venison and caviar )

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I can see the ad' coming up.

Range Rover

Some panel damage.

Low mileage

( Former owner elderly lady who only used it on saturday to nip down to the shop for venison and caviar )

Actually I can see it ending up at at the back of a show room, "as is", when prospective customers come in they get taken out back to see it and told the elderly gent driving walked away from that.

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

555.  Got me.  I'll bet she drove tractors or something from an early age, having come from farm country. 

When my brother and I reached driving age, we talked her into buying a stick shift car so we could learn.  She was 40.  Bought a 1969 Chevy Camaro V8.  She continued to buy manuals until she was 65 and Dad could no longer manage a manual with his arthritis.  She said she had "more control" with a manual.  I think the last one was a V6 Accura Legend.  She didn't just putt around. 

Did she manage to fix it with all those manuals?

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Sorry Sir but the main agent delivered your new car in Royal blue so we had to send it back to get another in the colour you requested.

I think there will be another call tomorrow... "Sir, good news we sent it back to the main agent and seems my young assistant is colour blind, any way he will be driving it back and we should be with you later in the week, unfortunately driving it back and forth has put a few miles on it" 

As I am sure it will be returned tomorrow... and the Duke grounded, yesterdays stunt which was intended as a two finger salute to those who say he should not be driving at his age backfired when it was noted he was not wearing a seat belt.  

He will be lucky if he gets use of his late MIL's  buggy...

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

looking for a payout and compo I would guess. The whiplash must be really painfull. 

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

3 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

looking for a payout and compo I would guess. The whiplash must be really painfull. 

In early December I was side swiped by a lorry cutting into my lane on the Hanger Lane Gyratory.

I've not heard a word from the driver nor his employer. Though I assume our insurance companies have exchanged pleasantries

Should I sue for the emotional distress of their ignoring me?

On 1/20/2019 at 2:17 AM, NanLaew said:

The Prince has written to Emma Fairweather...

The Duke of Edinburgh has written to a woman injured in a car crash he was involved in near Sandringham in Norfolk to say that he is "deeply sorry".

Prince Philip wished Emma Fairweather a "speedy recovery", adding that he was "somewhat shaken after the accident".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47017855

Notice he only wrote to Mrs Fairweather, sure that is his way of saying he blames the other driver.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

The Prince has written to Emma Fairweather...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47017855

Notice he only wrote to Mrs Fairweather, sure that is his way of saying he blames the other driver.

Disagree entirely.

It was a letter sent to apologise for the accident IMO - without beIng too obvious, as this would annoy the Insurers.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Disagree entirely.

It was a letter sent to apologise for the accident IMO - without beIng too obvious, as this would annoy the Insurers.

I disagree, although it seems stupid (if he did write) to say it was the sun in his eyes, I still maintain the force needed to cause so much damage and at the time of impact as he must have been near perpendicular to Kia it must have been doing a hell of a speed, given that it must have collided on the rear offside the Landrover so it must have been visible for many seconds, unless the Duke is inclined to "Burn Rubber" when pulling out, I would assume he thinks the other driver fully or partly to blame, I would agree with him but lets see what if the police decide to prosecute either party.

It will probably end up with the police taking no action, the insurances going for "knock for knock" deciding both drivers were partly to blame, so if you think the Duke should write to her, she should also be writing a letter of apology to him.  

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

It will probably end up with the police taking no action, the insurances going for "knock for knock" deciding both drivers were partly to blame,

When I was a driving instructor one of my pupils stalled halfway though a right turn out of a side road. Before we could get moving again, a car appeared from our right, slowed and attempted to steer around us, failed and hit my car's front offside wing.

No one was injured, though some looker on did call the police.

One of the officers came up to me and said that in her opinion the other drivers skid marks showed he was doing over 40 mph (it was a 30 limit) and she asked if I wanted her to call someone to come and measure them for evidence.

I asked her what's the best I could expect if the other driver was successfully prosecuted for speeding. She replied 'Knock for knock." So her told her not to bother on my account as I'd still have to pay my excess and all it would mean was tying my car up at the repair shop for a lot longer.

So I suspect that, unless the police do successfully prosecute the Kia driver for speeding, it wont be knock for knock, but the Duke will be held to be at fault by the insurance companies. At the end of the day, it was him who pulled out into the main road when he shouldn't have done.

Archived