ICE Tried To Deport This U.S. Citizen And Marine Veteran

webfact

ICE Tried To Deport This U.S. Citizen And Marine Veteran

jilmar_ramos_gomez_picture-1--73b69020c48a9c6f6ad91584e39bfcc572679993-s600-c85.jpg

Federal immigration authorities took Jilmar Ramos-Gomez, a U.S. citizen and veteran, into custody to face possible deportation. Courtesy ACLU of Michigan

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez served in the Marines and saw combat in Afghanistan. Born in Grand Rapids, Mich., he is a U.S. citizen.

But last month, federal immigration authorities took him into custody to face possible deportation. Attorneys and immigration advocates in West Michigan are now demanding to know why, and how, that happened.

Ramos-Gomez's mother, Maria Gomez-Velasquez, remembers getting a call from her son on a Friday, telling her he would be released from the Kent County jail. When she went to pick him up, a jail employee told her he had just left, in a van filled with detainees held by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Source: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/686188335/ice-tried-to-deport-this-u-s-citizen-and-marine-veteran

-- NPR 2019-01-18

18 minutes ago, zydeco said:

"The question as to why Ramos-Gomez was subject to a detainer has been answered by ICE. The department says ICE agents spoke with Ramos-Gomez two days after the hospital incident, and that he told them he was an undocumented immigrant." https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/jilmar-ramos-gomez/

Well, if they say so...

Having read the whole story I tend to believe that ICE acted in good faith. Ramos was undoubtable suffering from PTSD or some other mental condition and this may well have had him say that he was undocumented.

His mother stated that he had his passport with him, which would have been a little strange, and hard to believe as he would have been searched initially by the police and again by ICE.

While this may have been as ICE claims, there is in fact a sinister policy in effect in the border areas:

U.S. is denying passports to Americans along the border, throwing their citizenship into question

"In some cases, passport applicants with official U.S. birth certificates are being jailed in immigration detention centers and entered into deportation proceedings. In others, they are stuck in Mexico, their passports suddenly revoked when they tried to reenter the United States. As the Trump administration attempts to reduce both legal and illegal immigration, the government’s treatment of passport applicants in South Texas shows how U.S. citizens are increasingly being swept up by immigration enforcement agencies."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-is-denying-passports-to-americans-along-the-border-throwing-their-citizenship-into-question/2018/08/29/1d630e84-a0da-11e8-a3dd-2a1991f075d5_story.html?utm_term=.1d7d0c74404c

57 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

His mother stated that he had his passport with him, which would have been a little strange, and hard to believe as he would have been searched initially by the police and again by ICE.

In my 63 years, I have never known another American while inside the US to carry their passport with them anywhere.

Born in the USA, a member of the military, combat veteran. Three strikes, fire all ICE staff involved. No excuse, a fingerprint check to see if he was a wanted criminal should have revealed his citizenship status. :coffee1:

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

"The question as to why Ramos-Gomez was subject to a detainer has been answered by ICE. The department says ICE agents spoke with Ramos-Gomez two days after the hospital incident, and that he told them he was an undocumented immigrant." https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/jilmar-ramos-gomez/

so where is the presumed innocence.  An American citizen has the right to say that he is from Mars if he so wishes.  Isn't it up to them to substantiate claims they  make?

30 minutes ago, car720 said:

so where is the presumed innocence.  An American citizen has the right to say that he is from Mars if he so wishes.  Isn't it up to them to substantiate claims they  make?

Would be interesting to see them trying to deport someone back to Mars though, very expensive.

This isn't the first or only case of this kind by a long shot, regardless of what his Marine vet did or didn't tell ICE.

There have been cases like this around the U.S. with ICE sweeping up either U.S. citizens or those with legal residency, and putting them into detention and the deportation process.  From what I've read, ICE's records system is a faulty mess. That's the problem sometimes. Other times, it's just carelessness or indifference to error on the part of ICE staff/agents.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-citizens-ice-20180427-htmlstory.html

Immigration officers in the United States operate under a cardinal rule: Keep your hands off Americans.

But Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents repeatedly target U.S. citizens for deportation by mistake, making wrongful arrests based on incomplete government records, bad data and lax investigations, according to a Times review of federal lawsuits, internal ICE documents and interviews.

Since 2012, ICE has released from its custody more than 1,480 people after investigating their citizenship claims, according to agency figures. And a Times review of Department of Justice records and interviews with immigration attoreys uncovered hundreds of additional cases in the country’s immigration courts in which people were forced to prove they are Americans and sometimes spent months or even years in detention.

There's crime here, all right... And it's ICE who's committing it.

As a former Special Agent I would ask (1) Why was he in the Jail in the first place? (2) Was he wearing his nice spiffy uniform? (3) Did he advise ICE Agents that he was an honorably discharged US Marine.

The HATE US AND HATE ICE coming from all these NO NOTHINGS astounds, but does not surprise me.

23 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

As a former Special Agent I would ask (1) Why was he in the Jail in the first place? (2) Was he wearing his nice spiffy uniform? (3) Did he advise ICE Agents that he was an honorably discharged US Marine.

The HATE US AND HATE ICE coming from all these NO NOTHINGS astounds, but does not surprise me.

1. Irrelevant. (Unless being in jail removes his US citizenship).

2. Irrelevant. (Unless wearing a nice spiffy uniform is a requirement to hold and maintain US citizenship).

3. Irrelevant. (Unless advising ICE agents of being an Honorably Discharged US Marine is a requirement to demonstrate one legitimately holds and maintains US citizenship).

Footnote: This is the internet, you can be whatever you want to claim to be. 

44 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

I don't think anyone here HATES ICE....

I think most folks here, simply, want ICE to stop wrongly arresting and excessively detaining U.S. citizens and legal residents. Is that too much to ask???

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He’s not the only one who had to prove his citizenship

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-citizens-ice-20180427-htmlstory.html

Victims include a landscaper snatched in a Home Depot parking lot in Rialto and held for days despite his son’s attempts to show agents the man’s U.S. passport; a New York resident locked up for more than three years fighting deportation efforts after a federal agent mistook his father for someone who wasn’t a U.S. citizen; and a Rhode Island housekeeper mistakenly targeted twice, resulting in her spending a night in prison the second time even though her husband had brought her U.S. passport to a court hearing.

They and others described the panic and feeling of powerlessness that set in as agents took them into custody without explanation and ignored their claims of citizenship.

The errors reveal flaws in the way ICE identifies people for deportation, including its reliance on databases that are incomplete and plagued by mistakes. The wrongful arrests also highlight a presumption that pervades U.S. immigration agencies and courts that those born outside the United States are not here legally unless electronic records show otherwise. And when mistakes are not quickly remedied, citizens are forced into an immigration court system where they must fight to prove they should not be removed from the country, often without the help of an attorney.

20 hours ago, oldrunner said:

He was in jail because he started a fire in a hospital. He then claimed to be an illegal. He was detained, not deported. When proof arrived affirming his citizenship, he was released, despite his claims to be an illegal. Sounds to me like the system worked perfectly. Except maybe I wouldn't have released an arsonist no matter what his citizenship status was.

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

He was in jail because he started a fire in a hospital. He then claimed to be an illegal. 

Are you sure about that?

"Kessler is the one who called ICE to tell the agency it had a citizen, a Marine war veteran, locked up in its jail. He says he suspects Ramos-Gomez had told people all along he was a citizen. The Kent County jail confirms Ramos-Gomez told staff there he was born in the U.S."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/686188335/ice-tried-to-deport-this-u-s-citizen-and-marine-veteran

The media is so corrupt. Parading around his military service like he is some great guy. You know why he was arrested originally? 

"He was arrested on "felony charges of arson, damaging property and disturbing the peace" after he lit a small fire in a hospital."

Now the open borders mob will be using this as propaganda to try to shut down any law enforcement against the illegal immigrant invaders.

40 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

The media is so corrupt. Parading around his military service like he is some great guy. You know why he was arrested originally? 

"He was arrested on "felony charges of arson, damaging property and disturbing the peace" after he lit a small fire in a hospital."

Now the open borders mob will be using this as propaganda to try to shut down any law enforcement against the illegal immigrant invaders.

Yes, he deserved to be deported. 

1 hour ago, vinegarbase said:

He’s a US Citizen.

His crimes do not diminish that fact, and ICE has no business detaining US Citizens.

Absolutely nothing to do with the immigration issues you loose sleep over.

2 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

Please explain to me as I am a Brit, exactly where do you deport a US citizen to, especially one born in the USA who has served in the USMC.

20 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Are you sure about that?

"Kessler is the one who called ICE to tell the agency it had a citizen, a Marine war veteran, locked up in its jail. He says he suspects Ramos-Gomez had told people all along he was a citizen. The Kent County jail confirms Ramos-Gomez told staff there he was born in the U.S."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/686188335/ice-tried-to-deport-this-u-s-citizen-and-marine-veteran

It was in the link I supplied above.  "

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez was arrested November 21, 2018. He reportedly had his passport with him at the time of his arrest. Police told local news outlets at the time that he was accused of setting a fire in the hallway of Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan. No one was injured and the fire did not cause any substantial damage.

Police said Ramos-Gomez pulled a fire alarm before heading to the roof. He was arrested on the helipad. He faced serious charges including arson and property damage."

48 minutes ago, zydeco said:

It was in the link I supplied above.  "

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez was arrested November 21, 2018. He reportedly had his passport with him at the time of his arrest. Police told local news outlets at the time that he was accused of setting a fire in the hallway of Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan. No one was injured and the fire did not cause any substantial damage.

Police said Ramos-Gomez pulled a fire alarm before heading to the roof. He was arrested on the helipad. He faced serious charges including arson and property damage."

It is not the fire that was questioned but your claim, unsubstantiated so far, that he said to be an illegal.

Archived