Double cut! Teachers shear student's lovely long hair AND cut grades of her friend who filmed it

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If the rules say the hair must be no more than 9 inches from the top of the ears, should the teacher not be holding the ruler VERTICALLY.

And to comply with Thai law, the rules must not say that a teacher is entitled to cut a student's hair anyway, the law changed a few years back.

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So you've sat in on his village classroom and watched him teach?

Is the boy / young man employed through the mainstream education system, because how can he have a teaching license id he has no teacher training?

In terms of subject knowledge, it's true that teacher training in many western countries gives teachers quite broad and some depth of knowledge.

Here in Thailand the new education degree is 5 years but somehow teachers don't have broadness or depth of many subject areas.

Case in point, my Thai son went to high school in Singapore, several times the science teacher at a nearby local school (knows my son went to HS in singapore) has asked son to give specific science lessons because local guy doesn't understand specific items in the curriculum.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is the boy / young man employed through the mainstream education system, because how can he have a teaching license?

In terms of subject knowledge, it's true that teacher training in many western countries gives teachers quite broad and some depth of knowledge.

Here in Thailand the new education degree is 5 years but somehow teachers don't have broadness or depth of many subject areas.

Case in point, my Thai son went to high school in Singapore, several times the science teacher at a nearby local school (knows my son went to HS in singapore) has asked son to give specific science lessons because local guy doesn't understand specific items in the curriculum.

I certainly hope he held his hand out for payment, which if possible should come from the incompetent teacher.

But I don't think anyone should hold their breath.

46 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

One of our Thai Nephews is a village teacher.  He is a serious and dedicated young man and I know that he treats the children well and is liked and respected by his students.  However, after Military service, he trained as an electrician and then took up teaching.  Zero teacher training for him and zero checks done on his competence to teach.  I do like the lad,  but his level of pure knowledge and awareness of the outside world is minimal to say the least.  That says everything  that needs to be said about the education system here.  

So your village teacher represents all teachers in Thailand? There are good schools, with proper teachers here too.

11 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

This place is a window to the dark ages. 

Fantastic quote (above), Oziex1 ! You should put an 'intellectual copyright' on it! It is one of the best I've ever seen on Thaivisa.

My God -  you are right! One could write a whole book illustrating, detailing and buttressing the point you are making here. 

Well said, my friend!

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Fantastic quote (above), Oziex1 ! You should put an 'intellectual copyright' on it! It is one of the best I've ever seen on Thaivisa.

My God -  you are right! One could write a whole book illustrating, detailing and buttressing the point you are making here. 

Well said, my friend!

Fully agree, Thais could learn a bit from some of the comments on here.

They won't of course, Thais are Thais.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

There are good schools, with proper teachers here too.

Yes? Perhaps you could name a the school - and a the teacher, for that matter . . . they'd enjoy your words of praise that have been thin on the ground, lately.

3 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Fully agree, Thais could learn a bit from some of the comments on here.

They won't of course, Thais are Thais.

Thais could learn from some of the comments on here.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Priceless comment that mate.... When have you even seen a Thai listening to a farang????

Answer, never.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Thais could learn from some of the comments on here.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Priceless comment that mate.... When have you even seen a Thai listening to a farang????

Answer, never.

Correct. They already know everything - they were born knowing everything thanks to the demi-God which looks after them.

At least that's the wet-dream he and his supporters had, and it gave them a goodly number of nocturnal orgasms.

Oh, I am so happy, we just had teachers day, where students all over Thailand praised and celebrated and showed their appreciation for the fantasticallyness of the great teachers of Thailand!

...cue the story of one village teacher, doing something good for a hand full of children...

:coffee1:

Same problem in our house.

My son aged 18, in his last year at High school.

Two weeks ago he had his hair cut by the local barber, neat and tidy, the usual cut he has. Three days later his class teacher told him that it was too long on top, so cut a handful out of the crown of his head. So back to the barber to get it recut to the length of the teacher's cut.

He has always had his hair neat and tidy because 3 years ago the school had a blitz on all the boys hair. Any student whose hair was deemed be be incorrect had a handful cut out, using a corkscrew type cutter. All the boys in his class were given this treatment. It left a cut of about 8 inches long, down to the scalp. So then all the recuts were so short to match the very low depth of the teachers cut.  So they all made an effort to keep their hair in the accepted manner. 

Thankfully he finishes at the school in 5 weeks. He has no time for any of the teachers who did the cutting. 

1 hour ago, KhunProletariat said:

Absolute savages. No other words for them.

Junta boot licking teachers always willing to please their masters. Clearly individuality and abstract thinking aren't that high on the government schools curriculum.

Embarrassing.

KP.

Uniforms and haircuts are trying to take away the rich kid advantage and have all the students look the same so only their academic accomplishments stand out.  It's embarrassing that you would be unaware of this. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

One of our Thai Nephews is a village teacher.  He is a serious and dedicated young man and I know that he treats the children well and is liked and respected by his students.  However, after Military service, he trained as an electrician and then took up teaching.  Zero teacher training for him and zero checks done on his competence to teach.  I do like the lad,  but his level of pure knowledge and awareness of the outside world is minimal to say the least.  That says everything  that needs to be said about the education system here.  

But the Thai curriculum doesn't include teaching knowledge and information about the outside world . . . it is of no interest to them whatsoever . . .

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Uniforms and haircuts are trying to take away the rich kid advantage and have all the students look the same so only their academic accomplishments stand out.  It's embarrassing that you would be unaware of this. 

I was brought up in the 80's in Germany!

No school-uniforms anywhere!

It worked out, but maybe that was, because we were taught to behave like humans!

It is NOT about what you wear, but what you learn!

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you sure about this? I grew up in a system where the idea of a uniform was to level-out the social divide and prevent the rich kids from flashing off all their designer gear in front of the poor ones.. I'm embarrassed to think I'm unaware that uniforms were about academic achievement . . .

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If they wanted to keep the population poor and stupid they wouldn't have 170 institutions of higher education in Thailand, both public and private, offering 4,100 curricula that can accommodate 156,216 new students, now would they?

The existence of numerous Thai 'universities' in no way is an indicator of their intellectual calibre and quality. And the knowledge base of most Thai 'graduates' is (I think many of us here will testify) embarrassingly thin, porous and flimsy.

Have you seen the international listings of universities and noted where most Thai 'educational' institutions stand in such rankings? They rank from unimpressive - to appalling!

8 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Are you sure about this? I grew up in a system where the idea of a uniform was to level-out the social divide and prevent the rich kids from flashing off all their designer gear in front of the poor ones.. I'm embarrassed to think I'm unaware that uniforms were about academic achievement . . .

What you said.  By preventing rich kids from flashing off the designer gear the only difference is achievement in school - sports or academic.   

37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If they wanted to keep the population poor and stupid they wouldn't have 170 institutions of higher education in Thailand, both public and private, offering 4,100 curricula that can accommodate 156,216 new students, now would they?

Some people have a simple view of the world.

Recently I spent a long time in conversation with a French micro-biologist who previously worked with L'Oreal. He came to Thailand to branch out on his own and produce his own brand of high-end spa products. Having found suitable premises and set up the process-line, he then started looking around for two talented post-graduate students to train.

He contacted four top universities and arranged interviews. In all he interviewed 15 candidates spread between Bangkok and Songkla - the brightest and best of the young Thai people who were working towards their Doctorates. The result? He closed everything down and went back to Paris.

He told me that he simply couldn't believe that the students he interviewed were so ignorant (his words) of many of the basic processes and had huge gaps in their knowledge-base, and he reckoned that they were at about the same level of education that he would expect from an 18-year-old, fresh out of school, and just beginning a first-level degree course in Europe..

It is meaningless that Thailand boasts . . . "170 institutions of higher education in Thailand, both public and private, offering 4,100 curricula that can accommodate 156,216 new students" . . . if the students are ineffectively taught and learn virtually nothing along the way. It might do for Thailand but it's staggeringly 'under-educated' in terms of first-world nations.

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

The existence of numerous Thai 'universities' in no way is an indicator of their intellectual calibre and quality. And the knowledge base of most Thai 'graduates' is (I think many of us here will testify) embarrassingly thin and flimsy.

Have you seen the international listings of universities and noted where most Thai 'educational' institutions stand in such rankings? They rank from unimpressive - to appalling!

I have and many Thai universities are ranked above universities in the USA or UK.  That does not mean that the hundreds of universities in the UK and USA ranked below Mahidol, Chulalongkorn or Chiang Mai university are not good schools.  In any event graduating from any university is better than dropping out of high school.  If it says nothing else than you can delay instant gratification of money being a taxi driver for the chance to become educated and make a difference.   

5 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Some people have a simple view of the world.

Recently I spent a long time in conversation with a French micro-biologist who previously worked with L'Oreal. He came to Thailand to branch out on his own and produce his own brand of high-end spa products. Having found suitable premises and set up the process-line, he then started looking around for two talented post-graduate students to train.

He contacted four top universities and arranged interviews. In all he interviewed 15 candidates - the brightest and best of the young Thai people who were working towards their Doctorates. The result? He closed everything down and went back to Paris.

He told me that he simply couldn't believe that the students he interviewed were so ignorant (his words) of many of the most-basic processes, and reckoned that they were at about the same level of education that he would expect from an 18-year-old sophomore, fresh out of school, and just beginning a first-level degree course in Europe..

It is meaningless that Thailand has . . . "170 institutions of higher education in Thailand, both public and private, offering 4,100 curricula that can accommodate 156,216 new students" . . . if the students are ineffectively taught and learn virtually nothing along the way.

Brilliantly stated, Robsamui.

It is the experience of many of us that Thai graduates know vanishingly little about anything scholarly. 

It is frightening, and very disheartening.

And as for Thais' analytical skills and the capacity for independent thinking - don't even get me started on that one!

Says it all really grades cut for losing face.  Thais will never learn and I'm convinced now more than ever they don't want too - it's not a problem.  Between face and the silly wai-ing they don't want to prosperous.  I gave up hope when I saw news of  a relatively poor person using the defamation law for someone calling out her atrociously bad driving on facebook. Up the chain, down the chain, all toxic.  

Archived