Double cut! Teachers shear student's lovely long hair AND cut grades of her friend who filmed it

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I agree about face, but I saw it more as the teacher trying to make face over her class, by humiliating one of the students.

Neither one is the problem. In my opinion, the problem is simply the psychological need to demonstrate that you have power over other people in order to feel good about yourself.

9 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

During the video, in the background, you will see at least one student with long hair in a horse's tail. Why is this particular student being singled out for overlength hair? There probably is an ugly underlying reason. To us westerners, the school deserves the social media backlash but Thai officialdom will say that the will of the students must never undermine the school hierarchy or the whole edifice will crumble and turn to chaos.

I agree there's probably something else going on here.  Selective enforcement of unrelated picayune rules for those who piss off the wrong people, whether intentionally or not.

No surprises here, especially since this is a universal, not only Thai, phenomenon.

5 minutes ago, HalfLight said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I agree about face, but I saw it more as the teacher trying to make face over her class, by humiliating one of the students.

Neither one is the problem. In my opinion, the problem is simply the psychological need to demonstrate that you have power over other people in order to feel good about yourself.

Surely that's just what 'making face' is all about.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sadly that is the Thai mentality for you all over. Rather than set a good example in being positive about actually learning something useful, the schools follow archaic rules and then when they lose face, strike out against the person who revealed their idiocy. Utterly disgraceful, but very much the norm, and probably a fair contributor to the poor academic performance of kids nationwide.

Idiocy is a too kind word ...I call this fascism

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe i am wrong, but i am sure this rule about hair length was abolished a couple of years ago.

If that is the case, school director and teachers involved should be sacked.

From what I recall the ministry did abolish the rule on a national basis but left it up to schools to make their own rules.

7 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

So the girls hair a 15 seconds is not a problem? I dont get it....but I dont think I am supposed to....Rules in this country often follow no rhyme or reason.

I think it's disgusting that the girl should be treated that way, what right as the got to cut her hair, do they have long hair. Why didn't they contact the parents and tell the rules and let the girl go to a hairdresser to have it cut properly, I'm going to this on my fb so people will see in Europe 

5 minutes ago, elgenon said:

How could the video cause the school to lose face if they did nothing wrong?

Looks to me like the girl in the background has even longer hair.

Yes, the girl walking around in the background with a pony tail seems to have even longer hair. Perhaps she is in the queue for a free hair cut.

stupid teachers at my sons school also in kanchanaburi keep cutting my sons hair. Had to take my son back to my home country with him looking like a peasant. Was pretty embarassing. My wife did some digging and apparently theteachers arent allowed to touch the kids at all and they cant force it but they never stop, don't care, no rules enforced..

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

The Thai law that teachers are not allowed to hit or cane children is also very very clear but thousands of teachers ignore the law and hit / cane children, often causing severe markings on skin, blood, bruising etc.

Teachers are forbidden by the law to do this but without hesitation they ignore the law.

Where's the Ed. ministry? No comment, asleep, too lazy, incapable of construction a comment,  as usual. 

Very simple answer, you hit my kid, I hit you back, children cant defend themselves against an adult, but an adult can..........I can accept the 1000 baht fine.   I would make it very clear, I, and only I, can discipline my children.   They do something wrong, call me, and I'll come to the school and whip their ass, but not you.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

What is wrong having a rule regarding hair length? Absolutely nothing.

You are missing the point on this, the teacher had no right what so ever to cut the girls hair.

Face is a MAJOR thing here, and that teacher humiliated the girl in front of other students.

That is a very BIG no no here.

Justifiable homicide in some cases in rural Thailand - no Shi'ite  - I am serious.  There are accounts abound in the news of these things happening.

27 minutes ago, Arkady said:

From what I recall the ministry did abolish the rule on a national basis but left it up to schools to make their own rules.

Then this rule needs clarifuing to the school. Apply corporal punishment to my step-daughter and see how good I am at explaining that point.

15 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Very simple answer, you hit my kid, I hit you back, children cant defend themselves against an adult, but an adult can..........I can accept the 1000 baht fine.   I would make it very clear, I, and only I, can discipline my children.   They do something wrong, call me, and I'll come to the school and whip their ass, but not you.

Sounds to me like you don't have any children in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

Great example of "Thai Logic" and how "Losing Face" works.

Nobody has lost face due to cutting the hair (the action itself). Face was only lost due to the girl filming it and sharing it on social media. 

You steal or lie is okay... until someone tells on you. Then it is time to play the "Lose face" card and hit back with anger.

The basic way of thinking is so extremely primitive that you have to witness it, to actually believe it.

Yes. Thailand is what is sociologically termed a 'shame-based society' rather than a 'guilt-based society'. As long as you are not caught and exposed doing something wrong, you feel not the least bit uncomfortable inside (no qualms of conscience) - whereas in (Western) guilt-orientated societies, one's 'little  inner voice' torments one and troubles one when one has done something bad or immoral, even if no one except oneself (one's inner moral monitor) was witness to it.

Thailand is all about 'externals' - nothing about the deeper, more meaningful 'inner' life.

4 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Then this rule needs clarifuing to the school. Apply corporal punishment to my step-daughter and see how good I am at explaining that point.

You're an educated person?  Going to beat up some Thai teachers?  Ya right.  Did you want to start a psychology business in Thailand or a boxing school? 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sounds to me like you don't have any children in Thailand. 

Sounds to me like you condone the action of the teacher and school administration.  I talk in generalities, and stand by my posts.

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

...  the problem is simply the psychological need to demonstrate that you have power over other people in order to feel good about yourself.

And there we have present-day Thailand in a nutshell (as explained above by HalfLight).

Total failures and inadequates on EVERY level who steal their power from those who cannot easily fight back love, sadistically, to lord it over the weaker persons they are kicking in the face. Somehow that (irrationally) makes the bully feel good.

Disgusting.

Archived