Double cut! Teachers shear student's lovely long hair AND cut grades of her friend who filmed it

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attending a Catholic High school, the glaring look by Sister Mary Alexander was more than enough encouragement to get a hair trim. I don't recall a "length rule" but a "duck tail in back" easily got the Nuns attention and it was not the kind of attention you wanted.

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Uniforms and haircuts are trying to take away the rich kid advantage and have all the students look the same so only their academic accomplishments stand out.  It's embarrassing that you would be unaware of this. 

Your argument rather falls at the first fence, when you consider that the recorded "academic accomplishments" of pupils are so often directly related to the amount of influence (????) that the parent are prepared or able to deploy...

1 hour ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

They put pupils in tins as well?

Eligius and bluesofa - whilst it's great fun for a while, we could be here for a lifetime with proofreading the English mistakes on TV. I therefore only comment sporadically... ???? I'm going for a lie-down in a darkened room... ????

7 hours ago, HalfLight said:

My understanding of the law is that this was a common assault, and were it my daughter on the receiving end, the teacher would be feeling very uncomfortable right about now, and my daughter would be in a new school.

The problem is that laws in Thailand are not enforced; cultural 'unwritten' laws supersede all else. Thailand won't grow up until that changes, if at all. There is no sign that Thais recognise the sewer they have created, of the need to make changes. As the prophet wrote: "If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got. If you want something different, then yopu have to make a change".

What “prophet” ?

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maybe i am wrong, but i am sure this rule about hair length was abolished a couple of years ago.

If that is the case, school director and teachers involved should be sacked.

Yes, it was. There is now no law which says that either the boys or girls have to have certain lengths of hair. However, individual schools do still have their own rules, regardless of the national (government) rules.

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

If the rules say the hair must be no more than 9 inches from the top of the ears, should the teacher not be holding the ruler VERTICALLY.

The ears could not be seen so it was guesstimate.

10 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Yes, it was. There is now no law which says that either the boys or girls have to have certain lengths of hair. However, individual schools do still have their own rules, regardless of the national (government) rules.

Well mate, i showed my wife the video when she came home.

She was shocked that a teacher would do that, as that practice has been banned by the government. 

Individual school rules are illegal.

Now before anybody starts telling me i am wrong, my wife is a school director.

Look at how many other girls in the video have long hair.

20 minutes ago, AjarnMartin said:

Eligius and bluesofa - whilst it's great fun for a while, we could be here for a lifetime with proofreading the English mistakes on TV. I therefore only comment sporadically... ???? I'm going for a lie-down in a darkened room... ????

Ha ha! OK, but just make sure it is a room and not a loom.

7 hours ago, HalfLight said:

My understanding of the law is that this was a common assault, and were it my daughter on the receiving end, the teacher would be feeling very uncomfortable right about now, and my daughter would be in a new school.

The problem is that laws in Thailand are not enforced; cultural 'unwritten' laws supersede all else. Thailand won't grow up until that changes, if at all. There is no sign that Thais recognise the sewer they have created, of the need to make changes. As the prophet wrote: "If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got. If you want something different, then yopu have to make a change".

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

it is ridiculous to cut students hair by force...in which kind of backward country we are living...sounds like in victorian times...the dark age of humanity...they should improve on the teaching quality which is more often lousy...not on students hair length...

3 hours ago, Enki said:

Why do you think most adult Thai women have long hair?

They hated the short hair as kids ... probably a trick by the patriarchal society to make them fit their taste? Oh, well it is no actually a patriarchal society ... but more a matriarchal one ???? 

As soon as they have kids the long hair gets a cut....just like the schoolgirls..but it must be very hot to wear i can guess..

M4? This is criminal.

Force them to tie it back in one style if you must. Send them home for a haircut. Cutting their hair in public. I'm certain that was a big win for admistrators and teachers alike.

Looking how poorly education is going I'd really have to ask if they don't have something better to do with their time?

My first thought was:
school principal with sawdust in the scull can only be important by physically assaulting a student. 

Would be better to make the students of the (my guess: obviously) mediocre school excel.

8 minutes ago, randy723 said:

the video shows many girls with longer hair than hers. If I was her father I would be suing the teacher and the school. this is a total disgrace to the school and everyone involved.

I am from America and if this happened there the girl would be getting millions of dollars from the teacher and school and everyone involved would be fired and the one cutting the hair would go to jail for assault.

Many private schools attribute most of their uniform traditions and dress codes back to their British public school roots. The formal starched collars and tails worn by Eton College boys are world-famous, but they are hardly typical of a normal school uniform these days. Much more common is a looser dress code consisting of the ubiquitous blazer, white shirt, school tie, slacks, socks and black shoes; or the option of wearing dresses, or a blazer and blouse with slacks or skirts are pretty much standard for girls.

Proponents of the policy claimed that the dress code created a climate for education which led to improved test scores and better discipline.

The real secret to success is consistently enforcing rules and regulations. Hold students accountable and you will see results.

https://www.thoughtco.com/private-school-uniforms-and-dress-codes-2774037

Thai schools are just trying to be like their British teachers. 

Yes in the west it is assault and no doubt the teacher/s would be lynched by the parents... but of course the cutting of hair is general practice in the government “free schools” where the small minded staff want to make the kids “Suffer for being poor ... wwf don’t they realise by taking away their individuality make them less confident in future .. of coarse this doesn’t happen in the private schools, because if it ever did people would walk, = end of the school ... PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER THAILAND [emoji1242]!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

46 minutes ago, AjarnMartin said:

I am well rebuked, AjarnMartin.

But you have to admit that the image conjured up of school pupils' being squeezed into cans ('canned') was  just too funny for some of us to resist remarking upon it  - or 'liking' the posts that did!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The school has said that they were within their rights

Of course they're not 'within their rights'.  It's assault!

said the cutting happened on January 10th and was done according to the school rules. 

The school rules certainly does not allow a teacher to cut a student's hair and if it did then the rule would be illegal.

Archived