BANGKOK
webfact

Double cut! Teachers shear student's lovely long hair AND cut grades of her friend who filmed it

27 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No, she's indicating where the 'hairdresser' should do the cut.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, although to some it might have been a challenge. 

The actions of so-called “educated adults” in this country. Spend time on completely stupid stuff, instead of teaching the kids something useful.

What a bunch of idiots! No wonder the educational system here sucks big time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cmsally said:

For a country (and school institution) so obsessed by face , why do they choose to single out and ridicule students in front of all their peers. That is the ultimate in the loss of face. It is pure and utter bullying to keep (students) in fear and in place. If they were really concerned with face as they claim then they would not choose to ridicule their students in a manner such as this.

It is purely an exercise in power and showing the others the extent to which they can exercise it. Until Thais can break out of this scenario, they will never move forward as a country.

NB It provides a stark footnote in contrast to the Saudi girl that just fled her family and country in order to escape from repression.

Making another lose face makes you feel more self important.

Mind you not unlike the vast majority of expats here and home who love trying on direct insults for their own entertainment but can't handle it.

eg I still have a full head of hair even at my advanced age and get the supposed to be funny comment 'get a haircut, you look like an aging hippy'

I usually reply on the lines of 'can you repeat that, I was distracted by your head shining in my eyes'

Quess who gets upset and it isn't me.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, cmsally said:

It is pure and utter bullying to keep (students) in fear and in place.

Well, obviously the 'sweet talk' didnt work.

the cutting happened on January 10th and was done according to the school rules

These were published in the school handbook and everyone knew them since orientation day at the start of term.

She said that the girl concerned had been warned many times but had refused to have her hair cut.

There is almost a tremendous collective fear of individuality here. Almost a belief that the "sameness" creates a Noah's Ark situation.

I don't think its ever been established that a society can exist just on its collective sameness.

Then of course there are the insidious levels of power where everyone should know their place. In my opinion these two things do not make a healthy society.

• Like 2

When my wife was a girl she and her twin sister used to be hit with a cane on the hand for not dressing properly, every week. They wore flip-flops instead of the correct shoes. 

They couldn't afford shoes. 

Uniforms and haircuts are trying to take away the rich kid advantage and have all the students look the same so only their academic accomplishments stand out.  It's embarrassing that you would be unaware of this. 

Possibly but my wife was unmoved by it as she’s a product of the system years back and explained its about not having fashion and vanity be the focus and distraction more than wealth. They surely make up for the lost vanity years after they’ve been unleashed from the schools.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mackstask said:

In the west an action like this would be classed as physical assault and a criminal offence.

Heck, in the West threatening to cut a kids hair would be grounds for dismissal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

She confirmed that the student who filmed the incident had had her grade points cut for causing the school to lose face

The teacher caused the school to lose face. Then the school lost face for punishing the girl who filmed it. But hey, TIT.

• Like 2