Double cut! Teachers shear student's lovely long hair AND cut grades of her friend who filmed it

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Not quite true, many Thai universities offer a B.Ed. degree. The degree was reworked a few years back and is now a 5.5 yr degree, it has more / better focus on child psychology and childhood learning, it includes some study of different pedagogy systems / methods including student centered learning / project based learning, and it's an easy path to an official teachers license.

And students complete many trainee teacher / work assignments throughout the 5.5 years. As can be expected (in many countries) the value of this aspect can be valuable or can be a waste of time, all depending on the attitudes of the headperson of the school the student is assigned to.

True enough, but I guess my point is that such formal training is not an absolute  requirement here. Too many village and small school teachers are not qualified to teach anything. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

True enough, but I guess my point is that such formal training is not an absolute  requirement here. Too many village and small school teachers are not qualified to teach anything. 

Another twist of this - I'm aware of a group of students who could not complete their 5.5 yr degree (because of uni admin. mistakes, not because of anything the students did or didn't do and the uni refused to fix the mistakes they had made, other than 'start again').

As a group several of these kids went to one big school upcountry, and explained their situation. End result, they were all offered 'teachers' assistant' positions to help the unqualified 'teachers' at the school.

They refused. Most of these kids became very disillusioned and went into other industries / professions.

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

These people committed a grave error of judgment. What difference does it make if the girls hair is long? Is the need for convention, and conforming so great here, that even longer hair is not allowed? That is so far beyond inane, it is hard to even contemplate. And they deserve the blowback they are getting. It is not the fault of her friend for posting this. Her friend is a hero. It is the fault of the gutless teachers, and administrators, and their refusal to take responsibility for a big, big mistake. Hopefully, one that will haunt them for years. 

Face is perhaps the greatest weakness Thailand deals with, as a nation. It is a despicable shortcoming. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

In the words of Tom Petty,

Buy me a drink

Sing me a song

Take me as I am

'Cause I can't stay long.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, webfact said:

the girl concerned had been warned many times but had refused to have her hair cut. 

what is very concerning is they had to do it in front of the school ,not necessary and those brain dead  teachers with there big egos' are not thinking  of what they are doing.

2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

We all know there is always another side to any story.  My 27yo Thai stepdaughter is a high school science teacher in the public school system. She has double degrees in biology and education and she's brilliant, kind and caring, gets her students to think outside the box, and is respected by students and peers.  She takes offense to your characterization of the village doofus  as representative of the entire Thai education system. 

I asked her about this issue and she brought to light something that is being ignored in all the arrogant negativity characteristic with many TV posters and Facebookers. Lice.  Besides the cultural tradition and perceived benefits of uniformity for younger students, and lessons in humility as important for character building, it is hers and the system's view of policy, that historically infestations of head lice become rampant in younger students in a close environment.  They believe that short hair limits the infestations and is a benefit to the student community. Individuality and self expression must be sacrificed for the larger public health cause, like it or not.  The alternative of chemical treatment is not always affordable or acceptable to all families, so it doesn't get done dependably enough for effective control. 

In older students head lice becomes less of an issue and longer hair is allowed.   

Yes she really sounds brilliant.

So brilliant that she has no idea that cutting the hair to shoulder length will have zero effect on prevention of lice infestation. The head has to be virtually shaved to reduce the chances of lice infestation. Didn't they teach her anything in biology?

18 hours ago, ramr said:

I agree there's probably something else going on here.  Selective enforcement of unrelated picayune rules for those who piss off the wrong people, whether intentionally or not.

No surprises here, especially since this is a universal, not only Thai, phenomenon.

Quite right, it's everywhere, UK, USA, China, TVF. Which is why it's so important to nurture relationships rather than being good at your job in many places, especially Thailand, or so I understand. People are basically animals after all, they live broadly by the same rules and behave in broadly similar ways.

These rules are the individual school's (and others) own rules.  The ED dept repealed the national rule some time ago allowing students to have long hair.  They then backtracked by allowing schools to make their own rules.

There are many schools that followed the Education Department's lead in allowing long hair.  These schools score much better than the ones that are run by power crazed administration and teachers.

Whichever way you look at it, someone cutting hair at school against the will of the student and parents are guilty of assault, a criminal offence.  If a student flouts 'school rules' then the school has other options.  Suspension, expulsion for example.  The options for parents/students are either comply or move to a better school.

Rote teaching was supposed to have been abandoned under the direction of the Education Dept in favour of 'Student Centred Learning'.  However, all the government schools I've known continue with 'rote' to the detriment of their students.

1 minute ago, HalfLight said:

They are used to being told to regard themselves as inferior, so naturally, some of them try to change who they are.

Thais are uniformly taught in schools that they are superior.

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Rote teaching was supposed to have been abandoned under the direction of the Education Dept in favour of 'Student Centred Learning'.  However, all the government schools I've known continue with 'rote' to the detriment of their students.

In general I agree with all the point you make, for what that's worth. The above point is very important though, they stay with what they know and what they feel comfortable with - which equates to what they themselves have learned. In many (perhaps most) cases, people are just animals which have learned to walk upright.

My American buddy served at Udon Thani in '66-67.

He took a whole series of quite remarkable photographs.In one he comments on the highly autocratic and militaristic aspects of Thai society as he saw it.

I will try and find the photo and post it-please note the hair cuts..he called this shot-"grim girls"

27-Parade3.jpg

37 minutes ago, akampa said:

what is very concerning is they had to do it in front of the school ,not necessary and those brain dead  teachers with there big egos' are not thinking  of what they are doing.

Power trip.

I'm a teacher I'm entitled to power trips.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:11 AM, Ossy said:

But it was, NanLaew, and so it should have been punished. That this is how things happen in Thailand appears to be the thrust of your post but, let's be honest, if you were that girl's parent, would you be taking such a dismissive stance?

If I was the parent, the teacher would be getting a haircut and i would probably get arrested but a haircut for a haircut sounds fair to me.... 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, Pilotman said:

Yes, and that is why this country will always and forever  be 'Third World', despite all their protestations and ambitions. 

Is Singapore "3rd World"?  The rules are pretty-strict there, I've heard.  Similar "hair" rules apply in the Philippines (to males).  Same in the USA until recent decades.

Schools, the world over, are PRIMARILY Factories of Obedience / Conformity TrainingSocial-Engineering.  The modern-model was created in Prussia, as a response to a large proportion of conscripts being unwilling to risk-death for the state on the battlefield.  The decision was made to create a system which "moulded" (brainwashed) people, during their formative years, to prefer death to "disobedience to authority."  This system worked.

"Education" (i.e. "learning useful things") is a Secondary Purpose - allowing the "products" of these factories to have greater utility to the organizations which will "consume" their lives.  In the USA, a form of corporate-welfare - "property taxes" - pays for the operation of the facilities.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Is Singapore "3rd World"?  The rules are pretty-strict there, I've heard.  Similar "hair" rules apply in the Philippines (to males).  Same in the USA until recent decades.

Schools, the world over, are PRIMARILY Factories of Obedience / Conformity TrainingSocial-Engineering.  The modern-model was created in Prussia, as a response to a large proportion of conscripts being unwilling to risk-death for the state on the battlefield.  The decision was made to create a system which "moulded" (brainwashed) people, during their formative years, to prefer death to "disobedience to authority."  This system worked.

"Education" (i.e. "learning useful things") is a Secondary Purpose - allowing the "products" of these factories to have greater utility to the organizations which will "consume" their lives.  In the USA, a form of corporate-welfare - "property taxes" - pays for the operation of the facilities.

In many ways, yes it is. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:58 AM, colinneil said:

Maybe i am wrong, but i am sure this rule about hair length was abolished a couple of years ago.

If that is the case, school director and teachers involved should be sacked.

And should be charged with assault IMO

On 1/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, Somtamnication said:

Happens all the time as well as canning. Nothing new and it will never change.

I will challenge the part about...."it will never change"........ It MUST and it WILL....

I see this similar..... however in a much 'lesser way'........ than Rapeing these girls by school staff...... Actually we read about schoolgirl rapes by staff here on ThaiVisa more often than this hair cutting.........

If the 'THAI' schools still have this policy is 'Questionable - as post by 'Colinneil') -

On 1/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, colinneil said:

Maybe i am wrong, but i am sure this rule about hair length was abolished a couple of years ago.

I do believe I have heard similarly that hair length was no longer regulated.......

Personally I feel that hair length is something for the parent, not school, to choose........

So much time wasted on this and NOT ENOUGH time allotted for teaching 14-15 year old students where 'babies come from' and how'Thai boys MUST share responsibilities of babies they produce'......

What PETTY CRAP hair length is...... When compared to all the other important things that need to be taught........

WHY...... why didn't the school just send the girl home rather than 'raping' her.... My guess is that the teachers took keen pleasure of abusing the girl....

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

My American buddy served at Udon Thani in '66-67.

He took a whole series of quite remarkable photographs.In one he comments on the highly autocratic and militaristic aspects of Thai society as he saw it.

I will try and find the photo and post it-please note the hair cuts..he called this shot-"grim girls"

27-Parade3.jpg

An interesting Photo.............. Thanks..........

I think I have seen quite a number of these girls recently selling vegetables in the markets around Issan.... LOL .... and Chewing that beetle-nut stuff that leaks red drippings from their mouths and rotten teeth when they do smile.......

I am sure it was some of these girls..... LOL .....

26 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

The rule was repealed by the Education Dept but still allowed schools to make their own rules.

N.B.  That quote was from ColinNell, not GTgrizzly.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, Rugon said:

Cutting hair is illegal

I would be happy to see the parents of those girls take revenge on the teacher involved by cutting off her pig-tail and see how she likes it.  As a poster said, if it is indeed a current school rule and legal too, the girl should have been sent home to have her hair cut by someone sufficiently competent to do it properly.  In my view, it was an assault on the girl.  Who do these teachers think they are?

13 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I think I have seen quite a number of these girls recently selling vegetables in the markets around Issan.... LOL .... and Chewing that beetle-nut stuff that leaks red drippings from their mouths and rotten teeth when they do smile.......

Yes-all old"aunties" now..

At the risk of going off topic-but note the hair length-here is 'tough girl'

18-Toughgirl (1).jpg

On 1/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, colinneil said:

I'm sure you are right i remember this too,but i have just asked my wifey and she tells me its up to the school, our local school abolished this rule,also i believe if you learnt the traditional Thai dancing in the school then you could keep your hair long.images.jpg.794c4a5b3ae78d0dfecd911c18ac4960.jpg 

20 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

If I was the parent, the teacher would be getting a haircut and i would probably get arrested but a haircut for a haircut sounds fair to me.... 

Id shave her head then tar and feather it put it on facebook and leave Thailand with a big grin on my face.

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'm sure you are right i remember this too,but i have just asked my wifey and she tells me its up to the school, our local school abolished this rule,also i believe if you learnt the traditional Thai dancing in the school then you could keep your hair long.images.jpg.794c4a5b3ae78d0dfecd911c18ac4960.jpg 

Well mate, i asked my wife about it, she is a school director, and she said and i quote.... Now school not allowed to do it, if we do we will have a problem with the boss area office.

17 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

They are plump little things considering there were no 7-11's about in those days

Archived