Are things on the upturn

Toosetinmyways

anyone notice any activity with new fossil power generation projects? looks like folks are having big probs with financing except with chinese contractors that offer their own financing...the arabs can still pay for whatever they want but things were slowing down in saudi a couple of years ago...

it could be the end of life as we knew it in old fashioned fossil fired power generation...

Congratulations!!  Best of lick if you decide to go back. I would in a heartbeat.

There may be more offshore work, but it's still pretty bad in drilling unless your younger than 55. Some guys in the 55-60 range may do okay, but it's tough if you over 60 and don't have a few years of experience in drilling shale zone horizontal wells.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 3:11 PM, sgoodes said:

I'm still offshore East Timor and things are not really picking up. The commissioning & construction are finished for the big jobs, Prelude & Inpex so until the mob I work for get their next project off the ground up here things will probably stay stagnant for a while.

I've made my intentions clear that I don't want to go to the next project so when I finish up in 2-3 years, I'll have 20 up and it's time to enjoy my life in Thailand. Hopefully the redundo will see me through until I can pull my super.

There's a little bit of drilling going on but only short contract work. 

I don't know gorgon 2 starts early next year that's a rig and a drill ship minimum 3 years. Icthys stage 2 is the same with a minimum 5 years that's without including all the tiebacks subsea work and AHTS, PSV work that goes with it.  Transocean who I currently work for said they are bringing down between 4-6 rigs in the next couple years. Then we have the whole statoil / synergy thing down the bight which has the potential to be massive. So Oz isn't looking to bad certainly a bit more than short contract stuff.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:18 AM, starky said:

I don't know gorgon 2 starts early next year that's a rig and a drill ship minimum 3 years. Icthys stage 2 is the same with a minimum 5 years that's without including all the tiebacks subsea work and AHTS, PSV work that goes with it.  Transocean who I currently work for said they are bringing down between 4-6 rigs in the next couple years. Then we have the whole statoil / synergy thing down the bight which has the potential to be massive. So Oz isn't looking to bad certainly a bit more than short contract stuff.

The problem with Oz is their environmental overkill. NOPSEMA's slow and pedantic oversight had already killed exploration seismic well before the oil prices cratered, E&P minnows went tits-up and some major contractors either folded or abandoned the business.

I am waiting for the renewables industry to prove they have something viable, economical and of suitable scale to be globally rolled out. Maybe then I will say the fossil-fuel industry is in final remission. However, if they can't deliver, there's going to be an awesomely long, traditional oil and gas exploration boom and there won't be enough bodies to 'man the pumps', skilled or otherwise.

On 2/11/2019 at 12:38 AM, NanLaew said:

The problem with Oz is their environmental overkill. NOPSEMA's slow and pedantic oversight had already killed exploration seismic well before the oil prices cratered, E&P minnows went tits-up and some major contractors either folded or abandoned the business.

I am waiting for the renewables industry to prove they have something viable, economical and of suitable scale to be globally rolled out. Maybe then I will say the fossil-fuel industry is in final remission. However, if they can't deliver, there's going to be an awesomely long, traditional oil and gas exploration boom and there won't be enough bodies to 'man the pumps', skilled or otherwise.

I look at it like big pharma, big tobacco or the alcohol industry. Though you are right about Nopsema ( sort of) I refuse to believe that all these massive multinationals, regardless of how good the renewables replacement are, are going to shut up shop one second before the last drop of oil and gas are pulled out of the ground. Why would/ should they? They is always a way around the regulators. Bring on the bight I say then we can all retire offshore. I'm only 46 I need at least another 15 years. Lol

Archived