Thailand pledges to soften harsh refugee policies

webfact

Thailand pledges to soften harsh refugee policies

By The Thaiger

rahaf_mohammed.jpg

PHOTO: Toronto Star

Thailand’s immigration chief is pledging an upgrade of the country’s draconian treatment of refugees following the intense international media coverage of the young Saudi woman’s attempt to seek asylum.

Rahaf Mohammed became the biggest international story across the world for a week after being intercepted during a transit stopover in Bangkok, on her way to Australia, and was immediately prepared for deportation back to Saudi Arabia.

Following the 19 year old’s Twitter stream, as she barricaded herself inside her hotel room, Thai authorities were forced into damage control as the woman’s plight shed light on the harsh treatment of people arriving or transiting through the Kingdom in the hope of seeking asylum.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-pledges-to-soften-harsh-refugee-policies

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-18

The high profile Chief of Immigration, Surachate Hakparn, says refugees would no longer be returned home “involuntarily” if they arrived in Thailand and claimed they were seeking asylum. He pledged that, moving forward, when it comes to asylum seekers, “Thailand will now follow international norms”. https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-pledges-to-soften-harsh-refugee-policies

If, and I repeat if, they indeed follow through with this, it will be a very welcome move. I have seen first hand the way immigrants are commonly dealt with and it is nothing short of appalling. There is a mentality here that has traditionally viewed immigrants as less than human, an attitude that is long overdue for correction. I hope this is the first step.

The high profile Chief of Immigration, Surachate Hakparn, says refugees would no longer be returned home “involuntarily” if they arrived in Thailand and claimed they were seeking asylum. He pledged that, moving forward, when it comes to asylum seekers, “Thailand will now follow international norms”. https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-pledges-to-soften-harsh-refugee-policies
If, and I repeat if, they indeed follow through with this, it will be a very welcome move. I have seen first hand the way immigrants are commonly dealt with and it is nothing short of appalling. There is a mentality here that has traditionally viewed immigrants as less than human, an attitude that is long overdue for correction. I hope this is the first step.
+1

There was unfortunately no internet when more than 40,000 Cambodian refugees were forced over a cliff into a minefield in 1979. 12-14,000 of them died as a result.

The authorities weten't content to just force them back into Cambodia and the hands of the retreating Khmer Rouge. They went out of their way to bus them some distance to a spot with very perilous terrain known to be heavily mined. Outright murder IMO and of the cruelest type as they didn't die quickly.

www.pvfund.org/trailer

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

there was a article in the leftie rag guardian about this 2 days ago, stating that thai immigration a year ago agreed not to keep arresting women and children in cells under refugee status but the joker home boy reneged and started to re-arrest the same women and children refugees throughout 2018. Now hes saying he will re-release them in the same article. I dont know about you guys but this treasonous gang can never be trusted, their nationalistic minds are too twisted 

Big Joke Surachate seems to be trying to redeem himself and Thailand after making a goose of himself by initially seeming to side with Saudi Arabia and the family of the girl.

All this while accusations and denials were being made as to how diplomats were allowed inside the sterile immigration area and her passport being seized. When the media began asking questions Big Joke's flip-flopping started. 

The EU being great defenders of human rights will have been watching this circus and probably confirming in their minds that Thailand is not yet ready for a Free Trade Agreement.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Which is even the more appalling considering the fact that a very large proportion of the people leading this country, including the immigration chief, are actually themselves descendants of immigrants.

So can I now claim to be a refugee escaping Donald Trump in America? And no more need to renew my retirement visa?......Could the Brits claim to be a refugee from Brexit ?..........Hey a refugee is a refugee is a refugee......Right?

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Big Joke Surachate seems to be trying to redeem himself and Thailand after making a goose of himself by initially seeming to side with Saudi Arabia and the family of the girl.

All this while accusations and denials were being made as to how diplomats were allowed inside the sterile immigration area and her passport being seized. When the media began asking questions Big Joke's flip-flopping started. 

The EU being great defenders of human rights will have been watching this circus and probably confirming in their minds that Thailand is not yet ready for a Free Trade Agreement.

"The EU being great defenders of human rights will have been watching this circus and probably confirming in their minds that Thailand is not yet ready for a Free Trade Agreement."

Which EU country offered to take the Saudi girl? 

So much for the great human rights defenders. I guess they all know that she can be a handfull to deal with after her Twitter storm. Europe got enough problems with the nos. they got.

As far as foreigners or refugees go, Thailand has an appalling record of treatment.

Most countries of the world except immigrants as a bonus, they wish them to assimilate into the society and bring in welcome labour and new ideas, giving them assistance during the early stages to make the transition as smooth as possible. After a short period they offer residency as a way to encourage them to make roots and stay.

Thailand has the opposite approach, they want you to remain forever a "short-term tourist" 

Work permits are only given for a very limited type of work as apposed to allowing you to do whatever you like or are actually qualified to do. They see you as opposition and not new blood.

Expats are treated as cash cows, you're allowed to stay here if you have certain cash flows but still need to do 90 day check-ins like some kind of criminal.

Residency they say is offered but the criteria needed almost certainly excludes most as does the charge for application, (most countries give residency for free)

Thailand has a long way to go to improve the situation but it's draconian laws are far from those needed in a modern world.

Archived