Health Insurance

farang1979

37 minutes ago, Siam Bruce said:

Interested,  I know BUPA is this BUPA for Thailand only or mainly Thailand with short visits to Europe, I expect an extra premium is required for USA?

Who is/are AETNA ?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Aquaman2016 said:

AETNA is the new name for BUPA Thailand.

Actually I was thinking AETNA bought BUPA Thailand. AETNA already existed before as a Health Insurance company.

51 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I never had any problems with BUPA/AETNA. Only used them twice in 6 years, but they payed up......as I did with my Premium every year. 71 years old, inpatient only , Bht 57000 a year.

Yes, looked at Aetna (formerly BUPA) as the school I am with provides cover from them already. However, I want to upgrade my cover for accidents too and the cover I have now is fairly basic. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, farang1979 said:

After looking at the myriad of confusing options for health insurance in the kingdom, please can you recommend a reputable company to get a quote from. Thanks.

You'd be better of posting to either/both the Health and Insurance forums.

AETNA did indeed buy out BUPA Thailand, And Aetna Thgailand is a distinct entity apart from AETNA global.

There are many individual factors that affect what policy you should get. Perhaps the most important ones are your age (which may limit options), whether you have any underlying health problems now or in recent past,  and whether you plan to remain permanently in Thailand. It is usually best not to have a local policy if you will grow old here as most of them will  raise rates based on claim history/change in health status and that can effectively price you out even though in theory there is guaranteed lifetime renewal. Also, locally issued policies are nto any less expensive than international expat policies and often offer loser levels of cover.

You also should be sure to get one that has direct billing arrangements with a large number of Thai hospitals and which does not exclude or limit coverage for chronic diseases (referring to chronic diseases newly acquired after you get the policy - they will pretty much all exclude any chronic disease you already have).

I suggest you   should contact AA Insurance Brokers  www.aainsure.net. Buying through a broker does not cost anything more, they will give you comparison charts of different policies and help you select one, and afterwards can be called on to help if there are any claims issues.

Archived