Will a tourist visa get approved without a return flight?

If I want to come to thailand and start living there for a while doing border runs, would I get approved for a tourist visa while I'm still here in USA? It says on the tourist visa application that you need a flight both ways but I wanna make sure. Would a tourist visa get approved with a one way flight, or would it be a better option to just come on a visa-exemption, and not apply for a tourist visa?

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could buy a low cost one way flight to anywhere from here to meet the requirement for a ticket out of the country. It does not have to be a return flight to the US.

But would I get accepted for a tourist visa if i put my one-way ticket flight information in the envelope?

You already have the correct answer. If you haven't traveled in Asia much FYI carriers like AirAsia and others have flights out of Thailand some tad under 1000baht. I wouldn't book ticket back to USA.

Since your currently in USA you might wish to check out METV. More costly but would give you heap more flexibility.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

But would I get accepted for a tourist visa if i put my one-way ticket flight information in the envelope?

The flight out of Thailand is more for the airline you board in USA. Envelope wont help. And for what its worth I think the airline will want to see one. Is not the onward flight required to obtain your setv at Thai consulate USA?

Edited by DrJack54
Error

11 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

The embassy would want a copy of the ticket out of the country I mentioned. A flight toa  neighboring country can be purchased for not much more than1000 baht. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lastminutebozo said:

I think you need a flight out with visa exemptions, but should be ok with tourist visa. I'm not 100% sure about this though

That used to be the case for tourist visas going back a number of years but today nearly all the consulates/embassies need a ticket out with the application. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The flight out of Thailand is more for the airline you board in USA. Envelope wont help. And for what its worth I think the airline will want to see one. Is not the onward flight required to obtain your setv. 

He is asking about the ticket out of the country needed to a apply for a tourist visa at a embassy or consulate that is required.

A return or onward flight is not required to enter the country if you have a valid visa.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is asking about the ticket out of the country needed to a apply for a tourist visa at a embassy or consulate that is required.

A return or onward flight is not required to enter the country if you have a valid visa.

Of course correct. OP at end of post was asking if he could just come on VE. Ubon, what would be his situation if trying to fly out without visa option he referred to?

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ubon, what would be his situation if trying to fly out without visa option he referred to?

He was asking about that since he was concerned about needing a return flight.

Without a valid visa the chances of needing a onward ticket out the country within 30 days when boarding his flight is high.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He was asking about that since he was concerned about needing a return flight.

Without a valid visa the chances of needing a onward ticket out the country within 30 days when boarding his flight is high.

I dont understand. If I come using the visa-exemption, I'd need to show an officer in thailand that I'm leaving within 30 days? Which airports are the cheapest to fly to as 'proof' that you're leaving? What if i say that i am extending it..? Also, could you tell me what the typical tourist staying in thailand does, you know, the guys who do the border runs every 90 days? Do they need flights out?

Edited by oskar55

26 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

I dont understand. If I come using the visa-exemption, I'd need to show an officer in thailand that I'm leaving within 30 days? Which airports are the cheapest to fly to as 'proof' that you're leaving? What if i say that i am extending it..? Also, could you tell me what the typical tourist staying in thailand does, you know, the guys who do the border runs every 90 days? Do they need flights out?

Refer to ubon above. With no visa your problem may be with bording. Meaning airline may wish to see onward flight. As for other questions there are numerous threads asking for advice about best border crossings etc. As I mentioned at start, seems like you have plan to stay los for some time. A METV would give you flexibility for perhaps 9 months. Afterwards you can use different ways to extend your stay. Setv from places like Vientiane, Vietnam etc. Also visa exempt etc.

Keep in mind you can only obtain METV in your own country. 

As for cheap flight etc. I fly in few hours to Saigon. 1000baht one way

Edited by DrJack54
Error

26 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

Immigration seldom asks to see the ticket out of the the country. It would be the airline that asks for it when you check in for your flight to here.

Flights to any neighboring country can be low if you choose a low cost carrier such as AirAsia or Lion Air. Check for flights on AirAsia to Kuala Lumpur. 

Immigration at border crossings like airports do not ask for tickets out of the country when you enter the country.

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration seldom asks to see the ticket out of the the country. It would be the airline that asks for it when you check in for your flight to here.

Flights to any neighboring country can be low if you choose a low cost carrier such as AirAsia or Lion Air. Check for flights on AirAsia to Kuala Lumpur

Immigration at border crossings like airports do not ask for tickets out of the country when you enter the country.

So what do people usually do if they're coming to thailand looking for a EFL job, who come with a one-way ticket to thailand on a tourist visa, or on a visa-exempt?

22 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

So what do people usually do if they're coming to thailand looking for a EFL job, who come with a one-way ticket to thailand on a tourist visa, or on a visa-exempt?

They get a low cost ticket to a nearby country like I suggest that can be so cheap it can be thrown away. Or they pay extra for a return flight that can be changed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

You almost certainly need an onward ticket to get a Tourist Visa, or to travel without a visa and entering using Visa Exemption.

Your best option is to get a Tourist Visa and include a cheap onward flight to a country neighbouring Thailand with the application. You can throw the ticket away or use it for a visa run.

The onward ticket should be dated to leave within 60 days of your expected arrival date; although they might accept one dated up to 90 days.

You're applying for a short term visa for tourism/holiday, so they expect you to demonstrate your intention to leave.

1 hour ago, oskar55 said:

As for visa it has already been covered. You need onward flight to obtain the visa. For visa exempt a cheap throw away ticket is one solution. 

Edit. Just saw answers above. Op question already covered.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

2 hours ago, oskar55 said:

They do as recommended above, or wing it.

Get an onward ticket, or risk being turned away when you check in for your flight into Thailand. There is a chance you could book a ticket using your phone, at the airport, but for 1000 baht or so, why not rest easy.

Edited by jacko45k
typo
  • Like 1

If I want to come to thailand and start living there for a while doing border runs, would I get approved for a tourist visa while I'm still here in USA? It says on the tourist visa application that you need a flight both ways but I wanna make sure. Would a tourist visa get approved with a one way flight, or would it be a better option to just come on a visa-exemption, and not apply for a tourist visa?

Alternatively you can use fake tix out of the Kingdom which is has been used secretly by one of my friends for many years. They dont check with the airlines. Use at your own risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to follow up on what everyone has said, you MUST have an onward ticket out of Thailand to obtain an SETV in Washington DC. I believe its the same in LA. The honorary consul in Atlanta also required one.

I just bought an Air Asia from Phuket to KL, $30

• Like 1

Getting a tourist visa without a return flight ticket.

This is hit and miss. It all depends on the embassy and consular office where you apply. I have obtained TV without flight ticket also. But things are getting more difficult now. The best option is to buy a ticket from USA to BKK and a separate ticket from BKK/DMK to Penang or Siam Rep by Air Asia. Send both tickets when you apply for Tourists visa. This will also cover Air lines requirements if they insist on a ticket out of the country. 

43 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

This is hit and miss.

It does not have to be a return ticket back to the US. It can be a onward ticket to anywhere. Many people have used a onward ticket to get a visa.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

This is hit and miss. It all depends on the embassy and consular office where you apply. I have obtained TV without flight ticket also. But things are getting more difficult now. The best option is to buy a ticket from USA to BKK and a separate ticket from BKK/DMK to Penang or Siam Rep by Air Asia. Send both tickets when you apply for Tourists visa. This will also cover Air lines requirements if they insist on a ticket out of the country. 

Which Thai consulate  in the USA will give you a Visa without evidence of a outward flight?

If there is one, post it. If not, please dont give misinformation.

Edited by Nyezhov