Phuket declares rabies outbreak zone in Chalong

webfact

It's amazing how obsessed some people from other provinces are about Phuket. Any slightly derogatory event brings them to the Phuket Forum in droves to express their dislike (envy) of the Island.

This is an isolated case, the first in many years on the Island, and involves one dog that got sick and later found to be rabid.  Threads in other Local Forums about large scale rabies outbreaks and even human deaths elicit relatively few posts.  

This a report from The Nation for the first 9 months of 2018: 

Since January 1 until yesterday, a total 1,296 animals, or 15.3 per cent of 8,472 samples, were found to be infected.

The rabies infection monitoring system also reported that positive rabies cases were found in 54 out of 77 provinces of Thailand, with Surin having the highest disease prevalence.

The rabies outbreak was still active in Saraburi, Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Chaiyaphom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Yasothon, Surin, Amnart Chareon, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Mukdahan, Roi Et, Nong Khai, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Samut Songkram, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ranong, and Songkhla provinces.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355353

On 1/19/2019 at 1:09 PM, Old Croc said:

Until this one case, Phuket was considered the only rabies free province in Thailand. It seems the problem lies with puppy factories in places like Bangkok selling their animals here. Puppies cant be vaccinated until about 12 months old.

Rubbish! They're vaccinating dogs.

Prize for the most bizarre, idiot statement made this year. 

We buy vaccines every year and inject our animals, it's available at any vet. 

80,000 baht to treat a bite victim!  You are a lying fool!

Guidelines for vaccination of puppies indicate 12-24 WEEKS NOT Months!  Also,  there is very little data to support your statement that the spread of rabies is due to 'puppy factories'.  A rabies outbreak in a puppy mill should be rapidly apparent due to the rapid onset and a fatality rate approaching 100%.  Also,  you would expect to see a fair number of human exposures and human rabies deaths in the absence of post exposure prophylaxis.  These should be identified during the ensuing case investigations by the health department. If you want more information,  there is a good article at this URL with research that was conducted in Thailand.  However, these findings are consistent with other literature :  https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/39/2/278/328860 Please note, I haven't called anyone "idiotic, bizarre or a lying fool".  Perhaps they are used as terms of endearment?  ????

On 1/22/2019 at 10:22 AM, Old Croc said:

It's amazing how obsessed some people from other provinces are about Phuket. Any slightly derogatory event brings them to the Phuket Forum in droves to express their dislike (envy) of the Island.

This is an isolated case, the first in many years on the Island, and involves one dog that got sick and later found to be rabid.  Threads in other Local Forums about large scale rabies outbreaks and even human deaths elicit relatively few posts.  

This a report from The Nation for the first 9 months of 2018: 

Since January 1 until yesterday, a total 1,296 animals, or 15.3 per cent of 8,472 samples, were found to be infected.

The rabies infection monitoring system also reported that positive rabies cases were found in 54 out of 77 provinces of Thailand, with Surin having the highest disease prevalence.

The rabies outbreak was still active in Saraburi, Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Chaiyaphom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Yasothon, Surin, Amnart Chareon, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Mukdahan, Roi Et, Nong Khai, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Samut Songkram, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ranong, and Songkhla provinces.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355353

"This is an isolated case, the first in many years on the Island, and involves one dog that got sick and later found to be rabid," ok, so, where did the virus come from, did the dog travel...

8 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

"This is an isolated case, the first in many years on the Island, and involves one dog that got sick and later found to be rabid," ok, so, where did the virus come from, did the dog travel...

Probably. Try reading again with comprehension. Try post #7.

And also explain how you think it manifested out of nothing.

1 hour ago, Gregorio1 said:

Guidelines for vaccination of puppies indicate 12-24 WEEKS NOT Months!  Also,  there is very little data to support your statement that the spread of rabies is due to 'puppy factories'.  A rabies outbreak in a puppy mill should be rapidly apparent due to the rapid onset and a fatality rate approaching 100%.  Also,  you would expect to see a fair number of human exposures and human rabies deaths in the absence of post exposure prophylaxis.  These should be identified during the ensuing case investigations by the health department. If you want more information,  there is a good article at this URL with research that was conducted in Thailand.  However, these findings are consistent with other literature :  https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/39/2/278/328860 Please note, I haven't called anyone "idiotic, bizarre or a lying fool".  Perhaps they are used as terms of endearment?  ????

Since claim '80k to treat a victim', yes, you are a lying fool. That statement is idiotic and bizarre.

1 hour ago, Gregorio1 said:

Good to see someone who has actually done some research before presenting a differing opinion, although your link about a study in India around the turn of the century doesn't particularly excite.

After re-checking, I concede your point about the age puppies can be vaccinated.  I made the error of stating 12 months instead of 12 weeks and apologize for misleading posters here.

However, I will maintain that puppies are on sold before that age ergo without being vaccinated for the virus. Infection could occur shortly before sale and not be evident earlier.  

Many articles, I have read, suggest imported dogs/puppies are the most likely way rabies can be introduced to this controlled island environment of the only Province declared by The Government to be Rabies free.

Here's one link.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/soi-dog-foundation-responds-to-rabies-outbreak-zone-in-chalong

You're right (again), whatever I might think about certain posters and their lack of knowledge or off topic agendas, I shouldn't state my opinion of them so graphically.

Perhaps when you've been on the forum for as long as I, and parried so much stupidity, malice and trolling, you too might become a little frustrated with the clowns. 

35 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since claim '80k to treat a victim', yes, you are a lying fool. That statement is idiotic and bizarre.

Made by a guy calling himself Inepto Crazy. It makes you wonder why others take issue on his behalf!

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Good to see someone who has actually done some research before presenting a differing opinion, although your link about a study in India around the turn of the century doesn't particularly excite.

After re-checking, I concede your point about the age puppies can be vaccinated.  I made the error of stating 12 months instead of 12 weeks and apologize for misleading posters here.

However, I will maintain that puppies are on sold before that age ergo without being vaccinated for the virus. Infection could occur shortly before sale and not be evident earlier.  

Many articles, I have read, suggest imported dogs/puppies are the most likely way rabies can be introduced to this controlled island environment of the only Province declared by The Government to be Rabies free.

Here's one link.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/soi-dog-foundation-responds-to-rabies-outbreak-zone-in-chalong

You're right (again), whatever I might think about certain posters and their lack of knowledge or off topic agendas, I shouldn't state my opinion of them so graphically.

Perhaps when you've been on the forum for as long as I, and parried so much stupidity, malice and trolling, you too might become a little frustrated with the clowns. 

You may have misread.  The article that I referenced is from Thailand and dates to 2004 (authors Veera Tepsumethanon...  Henry Wilde et al.).  There is quite a lot of information in the literature on the genetics and epidemiology of rabies in Thailand.  As has been noted, the 2 distinct phylogroups of virus that are circulating, are associated with canine transmission (as opposed to other animal reservoirs).  So yes, the virus was most likely introduced in an infected dog (or puppy).   I respect Mr. Dalley for his commitment and service to both the animals and the community.  He also has a solid understanding of Thai culture and challenges within communities when it comes to controlling diseases like rabies in domestic animal populations.  I also share his dislike of large scale commercial puppy mills.  However,  I am not convinced that puppy mills are a major source for the dissemination of rabies around Thailand or other SE Asian countries.  The point that I am making is that following a 2-8 week incubation,  clinical rabies has a rapid onset and ~100% mortality rate (within 2 weeks of symptom onset).  I cited this particular paper because it illustrates this point.  In a closed environment like a nursery,  you shouldn't see new animals introduced very frequently due to risk of introducing diseases (not just rabies) that could kill your product.   Finally, with the extreme mortality, the breeding stock would die off, exhibiting symptoms of neurological disease.   That should be enough to shut them down (or alert them to the problem).  Furthermore,  once the pet owner presents for Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) or dies of rabies, the Health Dept follow up should rapidly identify the source of exposure.  We just don't see a lot of reports like this in the literature.  Isn't it equally likely and less nefarious that an asymptomatic animal from an endemic area came into town and interacted with some local dogs before succumbing to illness, unnoticed?  We have all seen what happens when an outsider dog crosses into a local packs territory.   Anyway, thanks for an interesting discussion!

On 1/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, Old Croc said:

Until this one case, Phuket was considered the only rabies-free province in Thailand. It seems the problem lies with puppy factories in places like Bangkok selling their animals here. Puppies cant be vaccinated until about 12 months old.

Rubbish! They're vaccinating dogs.

How do you vaccinate stray dogs that you can't capture?

On 1/22/2019 at 6:52 PM, Gregorio1 said:

You may have misread.  The article that I referenced is from Thailand and dates to 2004 (authors Veera Tepsumethanon...  Henry Wilde et al.).  There is quite a lot of information in the literature on the genetics and epidemiology of rabies in Thailand.  As has been noted, the 2 distinct phylogroups of virus that are circulating, are associated with canine transmission (as opposed to other animal reservoirs).  So yes, the virus was most likely introduced in an infected dog (or puppy).   I respect Mr. Dalley for his commitment and service to both the animals and the community.  He also has a solid understanding of Thai culture and challenges within communities when it comes to controlling diseases like rabies in domestic animal populations.  I also share his dislike of large scale commercial puppy mills.  However,  I am not convinced that puppy mills are a major source for the dissemination of rabies around Thailand or other SE Asian countries.  The point that I am making is that following a 2-8 week incubation,  clinical rabies has a rapid onset and ~100% mortality rate (within 2 weeks of symptom onset).  I cited this particular paper because it illustrates this point.  In a closed environment like a nursery,  you shouldn't see new animals introduced very frequently due to risk of introducing diseases (not just rabies) that could kill your product.   Finally, with the extreme mortality, the breeding stock would die off, exhibiting symptoms of neurological disease.   That should be enough to shut them down (or alert them to the problem).  Furthermore,  once the pet owner presents for Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) or dies of rabies, the Health Dept follow up should rapidly identify the source of exposure.  We just don't see a lot of reports like this in the literature.  Isn't it equally likely and less nefarious that an asymptomatic animal from an endemic area came into town and interacted with some local dogs before succumbing to illness, unnoticed?  We have all seen what happens when an outsider dog crosses into a local packs territory.   Anyway, thanks for an interesting discussion!

Vaccination at 12 weeks? From my work experience, it is 16 weeks, unless the drug company had changed their criteria since I retired a few years ago. In North American, rabies only exists in a few host wild animals, such as bats, foxes, and skunks.

I wouldn't bother with silly questions Steven. Let the guy do his own research on how the Soi Dog Foundation catches strays.

There are far too many people of his ilk who pick through the posts of others to invent an issue from one small part of a post just so they can attempt to big note themselves. Raising a query about whether an animal should be 12 or 16 weeks old before vaccination is really about his need to boast about something or other he used to do.

• 5 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, lovelomsak said:

Thailand still so third world.

Phuket  wants to be international mecca and still has rabies. Sad really really sad.

USA has rabies .....   not really a third world country

Archived