Lights on for safety

Mark Hummel

On 1/22/2019 at 10:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Because a proportion of society breaks the law does it mean that the laws are useless or shouldn't exist ?

Have you been here long? "A proportion"? A majority! The law says already says Motorcycles,24 hr lights on.So a Cop told me.A law is as effective it is enforced.Write as many laws as you like.No enforcement? No law.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2019 at 10:45 PM, connda said:

Here's an answer from a non-Nanny-Statist:   Reach down and turn your lights on if you believe they help.  Yeah?  I do. 
Do I think the government should mandate it?  H*** no.  Like most Thai traffic laws, it's unenforceable 99.999% of the time anyway. 

The only enforcement ever done is the collection of "fines"

22 hours ago, tifino said:

trouble is that imbeciles continue on DRLs (only) after Dusk...

they don't want to realise that Dashboard lights on modern dashes are always ON, against older cars that the dash becomes backlit, together when the Parkers are Switched on...

DRLs are only 'Parkers' when it becomes dark

Moderns Dash go dim when u put Dipped/ Main on, then you can brighten to suit the intensity you like, or leave it as set from new.Often too Dim ive found.I prefer the Orange Colour 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, KhunBENQ said:
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, transam said:

The last I heard it was illegal to use dipped headlights during the day,

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed.

Some silly paragraph saying something like (forgot the exact wording and too lazy to search for):

you must NOT turn on the lights before vehicles 150m in front of you become invisible.

Oh is that right indeed! Well I am NOT too lazy to look it up and here is what the Thai Land Traffic Act 1979 actually says.

Section 11

If it gets dark and you cannot see clearly more than 150m, you must turn on the headlight (sic)

I do not see anything there that implies you must otherwise have them off.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I do not see anything there that implies you must otherwise have them off.

Maybe I fell victim to a wrong translation.

It's just that I wondered why Thai passengers were surprised that I switch on the light before it's that dark.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's just that I wondered why Thai passengers were surprised that I switch on the light before it's that dark.

Near every dusk I tell Mrs.Trans to put the lights on...She says..But no Thais put their lights on..I say....I am not Thai, put the lights on...????

Most of em don’t realize that at dawn and dusk you need lights to be seen rather than to see and a lot of the “lads” like to show their “manliness” insofar to say “its getting dark but I don’t need lights yet cos I’m a tough and fearless knobhead with 20/20 night vision” 

58 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am surprised people switch on the lights. I have it set to automatic, can't forget it even in clearly lit areas.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Most of em don’t realize that at dawn and dusk you need lights to be seen rather than to see and a lot of the “lads” like to show their “manliness” insofar to say “its getting dark but I don’t need lights yet cos I’m a tough and fearless knobhead with 20/20 night vision” 

Lights out = BAAM = fits.....

6 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Have you been here long? "A proportion"? A majority! The law says already says Motorcycles,24 hr lights on.So a Cop told me.A law is as effective it is enforced.Write as many laws as you like.No enforcement? No law.

Semantics - whats the difference between 'a proportion' and a 'majority'....   we could generalize and suggest ALL of the population break the law and I think it would be fairly accurate, but it would also be a sweeping generalization. 

I think everyone would agree - a law is only as effective as its enforcement.

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Automatic not yet standard in small cars and pickups I think?

They wouldn't be in some of the old clapped out stuff on the roads around Issan.The new bike lights are auto on with the ignition

switch.I don't know if that's so with the small bikes but I imagine it would be.

59 minutes ago, transam said:

I have a very small 2014 car that I have to turn the lights on..

No surprise to me.

Will try to find out whether the son's 2017 pickup has automatic light.

I doubt it.

I also doubt that some posters write about Thailand!

Surely it is obvious to everyone on the topic that only people with very expensive imported European cars with built in LED lights, have daytime running lights.

They are a sign of affluence. Pick ups for the peasants don't have them/

On 1/18/2019 at 11:25 AM, neeray said:

I've heard it said that Thais think that by not operating lights, they are saving the battery.

Duhh

My neighbour opens the hood of the car EVERY time he used...to spare battery i guess.

Yesterday when he tried to start it the battery was dead.....of course he won't let a real engineer fix it and buy a good battery/alternator.

55 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Surely it is obvious to everyone on the topic that only people with very expensive imported European cars with built in LED lights, have daytime running lights.

They are a sign of affluence. Pick ups for the peasants don't have them/

Yeah they do - Isuzu, Ford, & Toyota I've noticed around here....Mazda? Maybe.....

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No surprise to me.

Will try to find out whether the son's 2017 pickup has automatic light.

I doubt it.

I also doubt that some posters write about Thailand!

My 2013 pickup does.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Who was referring to motorbikes?

And new motorbikes do not have automatic but always on.

Quite different.

I referred to motorbikes.I didn't know there was a law against it, and you had such a chip on your shoulder .You are correct lights on full time on bikes.

29 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

1 hour ago, transam said:

My 1988 Volvo 760 had daytime lights that were auto...Seems Volvo thought it was a good idea way back then regarding road safety...????..

My Swedish mate hated it.Finland brought in lights on in winter months and he said of course we Swedes have to be worse.The nanny state made them have running lights fulltime,so they fitted tiny running lights to older cars to comply, then Volvo installed them on newer ones.

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

My 2013 pickup does.

I start to think.

Just checked specs of on up-to-date Toyota pickup (top notch "Prerunner").

Auto Light Control System With Follow-me-home System
Light Adjustable System Automatic

Now I know why about 25% of oncoming vehicles have light on at dusk :smile:

But still then it's model dependent.

A bread&butter "SmartCab" shows daytime running light (LED) but no indication of automatic light.

1 minute ago, findlay13 said:

My Swedish mate hated it.Finland brought in lights on in winter months and he said of course we Swedes have to be worse.The nanny state made them have running lights fulltime,so they fitted tiny running lights to older cars to comply, then Volvo installed them on newer ones.

Strange, when driving my Volvo I could not see the running lights...Was your chum hanging off the hood....?.....????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Strange, when driving my Volvo I could not see the running lights...Was your chum hanging off the hood....?.....????

Hmmm I'm confused .Oh I see! You didn't comprehend "running lights " .Parking lights? Side lights? better?

Archived