Drunk cycling will soon be considered legal offence with 500 baht fine

webfact

Drunk cycling will soon be considered legal offence with 500 baht fine

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37OqkgPQiD678tejpIxzn0xK

Drunk bicyclists who are currently immune to litigation because there is no law to make drunk cycling an offence will in the near future face a fine of 500 baht under a new traffic bill which passed the first reading of the National Legislative Assembly on Thursday.

Pol Maj-Gen Aekkarak Limsangkart, deputy commissioner of Police Education Bureau and a member of the Royal Thai Police’s committee to solve traffic problems, said that the bill would enable police to deal with cyclists who are drunk while riding.

However, he said riding bicycles in public while being drunk is still regarded as a petty offence and the penalty would be  just 500 baht in fine.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/drunk-cycling-will-soon-be-considered-legal-offence-with-500-baht-fine/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-18

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mok199 said:

WOW that should really bring the road carnage numbers down...

No, that's not the intention, they just realised it was an untapped source of additional pocket money.... 

58 minutes ago, Artisi said:

No, that's not the intention, they just realised it was an untapped source of additional pocket money.... 

I wonder how many ''drunk Bicycle riders '' they encountered in 2018 ,worthy of a new law( I highly doubt it),or more senseless deflection and showboating..2nd anyone brave enough to ride a bicycle and help save this environment deserves a medal( or a straight jacket) not a ticket...have a good one Artisi..

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Maj-Gen Aekkarak Limsangkart, deputy commissioner of Police Education Bureau and a member of the Royal Thai Police’s committee to solve traffic problems, said that the bill would enable police to deal with cyclists who are drunk while riding.

Does this constitute a pay rise for the bib then?

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The only way you'd get me to ride a bicycle in Thailand would be if I'm drunk out of my head. Bloody death wish on these roads.

Saw a group of 12 tourists on an organised bicycle sightseeing tour in Bangkok. My first thought was: human lemmings.

I don't think they will issue very many 500 baht fines. Why? Because the police don't patrol the roads catching illegal motor driven vehicles so why would they be expected to catch drunk bicycle riders.

58 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Are you saying that driving a motorbike while drunk is not illegal now? ????

The guy who nearly ended up under my front wheels at 10:30 this morning obviously had no idea it was illegal to drink and drive, this must be the only place in the world where it is not unusual to see drunks riding motorbikes all hours of the day, when you see one and think he must be drunk the way the is driving they generally are! I have observed this numerous times now over the years, when you see them you tend to think, not another one? its just not possible, but invariably it has been the case - strange folks here! ????

Possibly urban legend, but I was once told that it is an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle in Britain.

My informant went further, though, to say that if a drunk picks up a bicycle and carries it, in law it becomes a parcel, and it is not unlawful to be drunk in charge of a parcel!

I am only repeating hearsay, and cannot vouch for the authenticity.

Now, if only this nitwit would apply some effort to traffic safety with regard to motorbikes, cars and trucks, especially on the highways. How can this guy sleep at night, with a title like that, knowing Thailand is one of the worst countries in the world, when it comes to road fatalities, and knowing he is doing NOTHING about it? He is failing on an epic scale. Now, at least we know who to blame, besides the PM. 

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

Unbelievable nonsense in my opinion. 

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries? 

Yes, years ago a bus driver in my hometown had to brake abruptly to avoid hitting a drunk cyclist, causing a few injured among the bus passengers.

Caught and heavily fined.

Of course a drunk cyclist is potentially less dangerous than a drunk truck driver, so they should be fined accordingly. imo.

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

Unbelievable nonsense in my opinion. 

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries? 

Yes, in most countries. Also to walk while being drunk, and drinking on the street.  Thailand has got so far to go to catch up with the rest of the world. We all know it will never happen !  But they still think they are a superior race ! 

Ever since my pal tried to cock-on, missed the pedal with his foot but, in falling, managed to get his chin on it, I leave my bike at home. But what about wobbly walking? . . . I may just mistime those lights in which case 'running the lights' will get a new dimension . . . Ye-hah!

What’s wrong with these people ?! Everything I reckon ????????‍♂️ 

They should focus on Thai drivers ( for a change ! ) They’re the only ones causing all kinds of deaths on the roads whether drunk or not they shouldn’t be allowed to be on any wheels ! Sadly, we can only rant and complain about the illiteracy of Thai people ( to put it lightly ) Things will never improve until they ( the so called police ) Start to stop and search their own people and  impose them a proper driving training course ( I know it will never happen ???? ) Also, pestering them on the telly instructing  them to be considerate towards other motorists on the roads, no drink and drive goes without saying, even this will never happen ????

In Canada, it is all illegal. Riding a bike, riding a horse, even riding a toboggan. Same penalty as driving a car while impaired. Of course, I am not sure if the police enforce the horse and toboggan violations. But on a more serious note, where do electric bikes and scooters fall in the hierarchy of offense? They do have full-size electric motorcycles, electric scooters in Canada limited to 70kph (I think) don't require a license in Canada. (but you still can't ride them drunk) Electric bicycles vs. electric scooters. Is there a line in Thailand?

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Possibly urban legend, but I was once told that it is an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle in Britain.

My informant went further, though, to say that if a drunk picks up a bicycle and carries it, in law it becomes a parcel, and it is not unlawful to be drunk in charge of a parcel!

I am only repeating hearsay, and cannot vouch for the authenticity.

Very possible.

Similar to British Rail charging people going to the beach and taking their surfboards on the train had to pay for taking the board.

They started wrapping them in brown paper, called it a parcel, no charge.????????????

Archived