BANGKOK 19 February 2019 08:04
webfact

Drunk cycling will soon be considered legal offence with 500 baht fine

Drunk cycling will soon be considered legal offence with 500 baht fine

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37OqkgPQiD678tejpIxzn0xK

Drunk bicyclists who are currently immune to litigation because there is no law to make drunk cycling an offence will in the near future face a fine of 500 baht under a new traffic bill which passed the first reading of the National Legislative Assembly on Thursday.

Pol Maj-Gen Aekkarak Limsangkart, deputy commissioner of Police Education Bureau and a member of the Royal Thai Police’s committee to solve traffic problems, said that the bill would enable police to deal with cyclists who are drunk while riding.

However, he said riding bicycles in public while being drunk is still regarded as a petty offence and the penalty would be  just 500 baht in fine.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/drunk-cycling-will-soon-be-considered-legal-offence-with-500-baht-fine/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-18
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The only way you'd get me to ride a bicycle in Thailand would be if I'm drunk out of my head. Bloody death wish on these roads.

I got hit by 2 cars at once not too long ago 555 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Are you saying that driving a motorbike while drunk is not illegal now? 😲

• Haha 1

I don't think they will issue very many 500 baht fines. Why? Because the police don't patrol the roads catching illegal motor driven vehicles so why would they be expected to catch drunk bicycle riders.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Are you saying that driving a motorbike while drunk is not illegal now? 😲

The guy who nearly ended up under my front wheels at 10:30 this morning obviously had no idea it was illegal to drink and drive, this must be the only place in the world where it is not unusual to see drunks riding motorbikes all hours of the day, when you see one and think he must be drunk the way the is driving they generally are! I have observed this numerous times now over the years, when you see them you tend to think, not another one? its just not possible, but invariably it has been the case - strange folks here! 🤪

• Sad 2

Unbelievable nonsense in my opinion. 

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries?