Drunk cycling will soon be considered legal offence with 500 baht fine

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, DrTuner said:

The only way you'd get me to ride a bicycle in Thailand would be if I'm drunk out of my head. Bloody death wish on these roads.

Drive a car, ride a motorcycle or pedal a bicycle won't matter if the drunk driver comes barrelling down the side street will still kill in a split second.

No matter what your vehicle of choice, no matter how aware or how good you are, you can still die just as quick. Happens daily to innocents everywhere. 

I guess there should be some limits of drunk while riding a bicycle 

incase they’re putting others in danger. 

I was probably 22 went to a bar with a friend of mine I’m my dads

car. I got ready to go home which was maybe 3 my miles away. 

Decided better walk if I crash Dad’s car he’ll will be paid. Walking

or shall I say stumbling home. Police stop I told them the story

they told me to use the phone in phone booth across the parking 

lot and call a taxi. Then they left. 

I tried calling a Taxi and they kept hanging up on me (really drunk probably couldn’t understand me) ok back to walking.

Same police stop me and I told them I tried but the hung up. I was two city blocks from my Dad’s house. Police said ok a night in jail

for you. I didn’t get charged locked up so it would wear off could

leave in the early morning. 

Was allowed to call call my dad and told him where I was and time 

I’d be released. Lucky he had two cars. Morning comes I’m released

Dad is there to pick me up, He’s dressed for work I said can you drop me off the house I’m not feeling good and will take day off.

Nope your going to work and that’s where he took me

thought I was doing the right thing by walking.... and when you 

think about it I did...

I used to regularly get stored for riding drunk in the UK, never got charged though, just told to walk with it. Once they told me to leave it on a busy road with no lock or they would arrest me. I told them to throw on the cuffs, and spent a night in jail. The main thin was that my sister's new bike was safe in the station. Had trouble explaining to her where it was for a few days!

Not sure if it is an offence these days.

3 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Unbelievable nonsense in my opinion. 

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries? 

yes it is where I come from.
in Europe some people recently got fined 600 Euro.
The rules are the same as for a car, so depending on what happened and how the judge assesses the case, one can lose driving license or go to jail for bicycling under the influence.
Walking on the sidewalk is allowed, unless one becomes a nuisance, and in that case one can be reprimanded, fined, or taken to the station to sober up.

22 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I guess there should be some limits of drunk while riding a bicycle 

incase they’re putting others in danger. 

I was probably 22 went to a bar with a friend of mine I’m my dads

car. I got ready to go home which was maybe 3 my miles away. 

Decided better walk if I crash Dad’s car he’ll will be paid. Walking

or shall I say stumbling home. Police stop I told them the story

they told me to use the phone in phone booth across the parking 

lot and call a taxi. Then they left. 

I tried calling a Taxi and they kept hanging up on me (really drunk probably couldn’t understand me) ok back to walking.

Same police stop me and I told them I tried but the hung up. I was two city blocks from my Dad’s house. Police said ok a night in jail

for you. I didn’t get charged locked up so it would wear off could

leave in the early morning. 

Was allowed to call call my dad and told him where I was and time 

I’d be released. Lucky he had two cars. Morning comes I’m released

Dad is there to pick me up, He’s dressed for work I said can you drop me off the house I’m not feeling good and will take day off.

Nope your going to work and that’s where he took me

thought I was doing the right thing by walking.... and when you 

think about it I did...

as the saying goes: He punishes in mysterious ways. ???? ????

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The post said a fine of 500 baht... nothing about a ticket.

This is cash in hand...

Of course any Thai riding a bicycle as he /she can't afford a motor cycle will always have a couple of spare Bht 500 notes in their pocket, now won't they? 

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Yes, in most countries. Also to walk while being drunk, and drinking on the street.  Thailand has got so far to go to catch up with the rest of the world. We all know it will never happen !  But they still think they are a superior race ! 

It's not an offense to be drunk in the UK.

5 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries? 

dont think it is in Uk but is illegal to ride a horse....so the solution here could be to ride a gee gee !!

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

Has there been an epidemic of drunk cyclists recently? 

No, but from what I understand this in anticipation of the forthcoming 'brexit bedlam syndrome'. Apparently the fear is mass intoxication will explode among the British expat community when the European divorce is finalized, due the pound being driven lower than the Australian dollar against the baht. The concern is car/trucks will be abandoned and the drunk Englishmen will take to Thai highways on bicycles. Brexit Bedlam Syndrome has been recognized in the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

dont think it is in Uk but is illegal to ride a horse....so the solution here could be to ride a gee gee !!

It is an offense in the UK but its very much arbitrary. There is no limit like a vehicle so I suppose its really how pissed you actually are. 

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Who is he? 

if I mention "Him" by a name, some people may get offended because they think their "Him" is the only one that this "He" could refer to.  
???? 

First, they need to get rid of all these guys who seem to stick their head out of their A-- to feel important as if they know what they are doing and solving.  This is a new one on me a Committee? 

With the million already ideas and laws put into effect maybe now you can figure out a way of enforcing it!  You can't even enforce the ones on vehicles now you actually think at one of your 1 percent checkpoint you are going to drop everything and stop a person on a bike to see if they have been drinking.

The ticket will most likely be issued when you are calling the ambulance? 

Whenever I need a good laugh I wait for one of these guys to open their mouth like a box of chocolate you never know what you are going to get?  Do they teach this in the academy?

On 1/18/2019 at 8:10 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Well, I think I know how I will be getting home from the pub in future then. :smile:

The way it was done before the bicycle was invented and imported into Thailand without the user manual  - creep....:coffee1:

Too stupid to be true! But, hey, TiT... So, presently, still, a bicycle driver (also electric ones?) can drive his vehicle(!) while being as drunk as a skunk! You can't make such things up, and when you tell that kind of stuff to people in developped countries, they think you made it up, so unbelievable it is to them!

Siam must have been much safer till the first wheel was brought in from abroad (sorry to insist about this last, but as most people here have been made to believe everything(!) has been locally invented...)!

So they're coming down heavy on the two or three cyclists in Thailand who drink and cycle, but motorists in their thousands can drink and drive to their heart's content... No problem. Strange???? 

Is it 1st April already? 

I don't think ANY laws apply to bicyclists; however, I do remember some moron riding UP doi suthep on the wrong side of the road and getting into trouble.  

I'm pretty sure in Thailand a bicyclist can go through red lights, do whatever, mainly because most people know a pedal bike won't win in a collusion.  

You can't put a license plate on a bicycle, because a normal plate would be too big.  Nobody could see a small plate.  

won't matter, soon face ID will get everyone, everywhere....   

9 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

I don't know about drunk driving, but it an offense worthy of a fine

to ride a bicycle over the speed limit on Fort Sam Houston Army base in San Antonio, TX.  

I was given a ticket for riding 35 mph in a 25 mph zone (I was speeding down a hill).  

When I protested. "but I am on a bicycle" the Military Police officer responded telling me that, when operating a vehicle, the driver must obey the speed limit and bicycles are considered to be vehicles in their regulations. 

I think it was a $12.00 fine. 

Lol, I was (hammered the other week,) with next door police major - ladies were having their ladies night, and thus we were ushered off to the local watering hole - at some point of the evening I had confiscated (and subsequently lost) dear major's motocy keys, and missus held my own; well as the evening came to a close, the only available transportation was the shop owner's bicycle and I still wonder how we managed with so little bruising back home - we must've dropped to the ditch at least 15 times ???? I bet he wouldn't've written me a ticket as I managed to get him home back to missus, even slightly after the "curfew"(, and the missing motocy keys were later recovered from the owner of aforementioned watering hole x)

Archived