Drunk cycling will soon be considered legal offence with 500 baht fine

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2019 at 2:04 PM, webfact said:

However, he said riding bicycles in public while being drunk is still regarded as a petty offence and the penalty would be  just 500 baht in fine.

Drunk on a bicycle in the UK 1,000 pounds (40,000 baht).  Cycling dangerously 2,500 pounds (100,000 baht).  Drunk and dangerous you're into 140,000 baht.

500 baht fine in Thailand is not going to change anything.

Apart from being totally ridiculous I would like to know three things

1 - How do the police propose assessing if someone is drunk e.g. sidewalk test or breathalyser .....

2 - If by breathalyser what will be the limitations e.g. same as driving a car or motorcycle ....

3 - When are the police going to start breathalysing the Thai motorcyclists who create havoc in the early hours of each & every day

All I ever see is road stop checks and no patrolling Police.  All they seem to be interested in is crash helmets and driving licences and not the thai riding with 2 kids, all without helmets and riding through a red light wilst checking there phones ( Im not joking happens all the time.  Isnt their one High official who as looked at other Police force models.  

what about cycling naked down the middle of the road on LSD wearing a red baseball cap? an associate was caught once in Hawaii and was put in chains in a padded cell and he said 'what's all this about? I just wanna to go surfin'...' the local authorities were not impressed...but they were amused...'dese haoles are crazy sho 'nuff...'

On 1/18/2019 at 8:27 AM, DrTuner said:

The only way you'd get me to ride a bicycle in Thailand would be if I'm drunk out of my head. Bloody death wish on these roads.

Load of tosh. They may be the 'most deadly roads' for cars/motorbikes, but I've done thousands of miles on Thai roads on a bicycle and NEVER had an issue. Granted, not ridden around Bangkok, but CM is pretty busy too. In general, Thai roads are a lot better for cycling than say the pathetic UK roads, which have no separate lane and no real way to avoid the thick of the traffic. After Thailand, I refuse to ride in the UK anymore. If you manage to not get flattened or a wet arse, you sure as heck will pee off motorists.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, Jonah Tenner said:
On 1/19/2019 at 1:04 PM, Snow Leopard said:

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries? 

Yes. In Norway you can get a fine and suspension of your drivers licence.

What if you don't have a driving licence and ride your bicycle drunk?

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:
On 1/18/2019 at 2:04 PM, webfact said:

500 baht fine

Are they serious?! Did You mean that's not a comma and a zero dropped typo that should be 5,000 baht? 

It's perhaps Thai logic that anyone with a bicycle can't afford to buy even a motorbike.

Well here in Pattaya I use my bicycle almost daily, and sometimes I enjoy a drink or two. Traffic cops never bothered me, but maybe they'll find an excuse now. 

8 minutes ago, balo said:

Well here in Pattaya I use my bicycle almost daily, and sometimes I enjoy a drink or two. Traffic cops never bothered me, but maybe they'll find an excuse now.

So will they soon be breathalysing cyclists in the hope of making some money?

On 1/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, Snow Leopard said:

Unbelievable nonsense in my opinion. 

Just as a matter for discussion. Is it illegal to ride a bike drunk in any other countries? 

Certainly in Australia, it is, as well riding a horse, or any animal, strange thing is if you have a drivers licence, then you can be fined and lose points, even lose your licence, but if you don't have a licence then you only get a fine.

Yet more PR BS

If the RTP are incapable of doing thier job, (protect and serve), without the usual tea money hand outs, how can any law be upheld...

My guess is, Farang/falang will be the obvious targets and wrongly accused being handed way over the top fines, as is the norm, while Thai get off Scott free, as is the norm.

Lord give me strength!

Preventing drunk driving and motorbike riding is to protect others from harm and death, but, except in exceptional circumstances, what possible harm can a drunk cyclist do to others?

If someone rides a bicycle rather than driving or riding a mororbike when drinking then it is a worthy thing to do and should be encouraged not made illegal.

Thailand! The land of totally misplaced priorities!

On 1/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, Bluespunk said:

Does this constitute a pay rise for the bib then?

Yep , that would be it Bluespunk , time for the 2019 pay rise , what is left eh , the really poor who only have pushbikes.

Next year it could be 500B fine for walking home drunk + 500B for taking a forward slash in the bushes.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, Ossy said:

Ever since my pal tried to cock-on, missed the pedal with his foot but, in falling, managed to get his chin on it, I leave my bike at home. But what about wobbly walking? . . . I may just mistime those lights in which case 'running the lights' will get a new dimension . . . Ye-hah!

That is yet to come ' Walking through a red light when mau '   Saying that seeing a drunk on a pushbike at a red light waiting for the green would make me wet my knickers.

16 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

That is yet to come ' Walking through a red light when mau '   Saying that seeing a drunk on a pushbike at a red light waiting for the green would make me wet my knickers.

I didn't realise it turned you on that much?

Nonsense. Avoid the main roads and you'll be just fine.  Never been involved in anything serious after 8 years.

If a car hits you it will most likely kill you, doesn't matter if you're on a motorbike or a bicycle. 

Archived