BANGKOK 24 March 2019 01:20
Srinakarin

Rutnin Eye Hospital prices for foreigners

Hi everyone,

I recently decided it was about time  I had a routine eye check and asked someone to phone Rutnin hospital to find the cost of standard eye tests.  I asked someone to phone them on my behalf.  She was given a price for the test, and then my friend mentioned that I am not Thai.  The hospital then advised that the cost was now nearly double the price initially quoted.  When challenged as to why that was, the reason given was quite vague - it requires a different kind of service.  Perhaps the details were lost in translation or deliberately vague, I don't know.

Can anyone shed some light of this "different kind of service" or confirm that the double pricing structure quoted is actually incorrect.  If it's a simple miscommunication, then I needn't boycott the place.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I recently decided it was about time  I had a routine eye check and asked someone to phone Rutnin hospital to find the cost of standard eye tests.  I asked someone to phone them on my behalf.  She was given a price for the test, and then my friend mentioned that I am not Thai.  The hospital then advised that the cost was now nearly double the price initially quoted.  When challenged as to why that was, the reason given was quite vague - it requires a different kind of service.  Perhaps the details were lost in translation or deliberately vague, I don't know.

Can anyone shed some light of this "different kind of service" or confirm that the double pricing structure quoted is actually incorrect.  If it's a simple miscommunication, then I needn't boycott the place.

Thanks

Welcome to Thailand

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

If simply routine, go to Madihol Dept. of Ophthalmology.

But the doctor will tell you afterwards that an optician will still have to make adjustments for the frame etc..

I went to Rutnin last month for a full eye exam. They charged me 1,600 bht. That was a shock. It must have been the "farang" tax. It was the first time for me to get a full diagnosis, probably won't do it again unless something serious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I went to Rutnin last month for a full eye exam. They charged me 1,600 bht. That was a shock. It must have been the "farang" tax. It was the first time for me to get a full diagnosis, probably won't do it again unless something serious.

How much do you think it should have cost?

• Haha 2

I paid 1,300 baht at Vejthani Hospital in October for six month eye check with just normal tests.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, ivor bigun said:

Can anyone shed some light of this "different kind of service".......

As a foreigner you require their special overcharging service. In many places here it is obligatory.

As a foreigner you require their special overcharging service. In many places here it is obligatory.
I actually get my eye tests at Satahip naval hospital,as i have a cataract,they are really good go every 6 months,full battery of tests ,see the doctor ,900 baht every 6 months.

8 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I actually get my eye tests at Satahip naval hospital,as i have a cataract,they are really good go every 6 months,full battery of tests ,see the doctor ,900 baht every 6 months.

As far as I know they also charge farangs extra for some things.

By the way, the quote I was replying to was not yours: it was the OP's. I dont know why the forum software showed it as being yours.

Edited by KittenKong

As far as I know they also charge farangs extra for some things.

By the way, the quote I was replying to was not yours: it was the OP's. I dont know why the forum software showed it as being yours.
Yes wondered why,Satahip are good charge extra for the exam but same price for meds for Thai and foreigner,some time ago they found i had pressure in my eyes could lead to gloucoma ,various meds did not work ,an expensive one from the UK did ,cost 1600 for a months supply farcino 790 baht at Satahip.so cant complain

I have no idea if Rutnin has 2 tier pricing, possible that they do. However 1600 baht for a thorough eye exam is not an unusual price for a private hospital, even for a Thai.