Multiple re-entry - OA - Permission to stay period

The first year of my OA visa expires shortly and as I recently entered the country from a short trip abroad my permission to stay period take me through to Jan 2020.

My questions:

1.Do I require a re-entry permit in the permission to stay period ?

2.I would prefer to obtain a multiple entry permit in advance of travelling, where in Bangkok can I do this ?

3.Do I have to attend in person or can it be done by post ?

4.Can I get an agency to do it for me ?

1. Only if you would be leaving and then entering the country after you visa expires.

2. You apply for a multiple re-entry permit at immigration in Bangkok or at either airport in Bangkok on departure from the country.

3. You have to apply for it in person.

4. Yes that may be possible.

Ok one further question.

My OA visa expires soon. If I leave the country for a short trip and return before the expiry of my visa, I am aware my permission to stay will be one year from my return date. 

However I want to obtain a multiple entry permit for my second year. If I do that at the airport on this trip, will this somehow prevent me from receiving another year from my return date ? Hope I made myself clear...

12 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Ok one further question.

My OA visa expires soon. If I leave the country for a short trip and return before the expiry of my visa, I am aware my permission to stay will be one year from my return date. 

However I want to obtain a multiple entry permit for my second year. If I do that at the airport on this trip, will this somehow prevent me from receiving another year from my return date ? Hope I made myself clear...

Why would you do it this trip. Your O-A is multi entry permit. When you next leave after visa expires you need to obtain reentry permit. Its a breeze download the TM8 form and do it at airport. 

Edited by DrJack54

The only reason I wanted to do it on this trip was because I thought as I'm at the airport I'd get it out of the way. And as I can be forgetful, I'm concerned if I left it till the next trip I might completely forget to do it and then I'm screwed. 

But obviously if it were to prevent me receiving a further permission to stay I wouldn't do it this time.  Are you saying you have to wait until your visa expires until you can obtain the re-entry permit ?

4 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

The only reason I wanted to do it on this trip was because I thought as I'm at the airport I'd get it out of the way. And as I can be forgetful, I'm concerned if I left it till the next trip I might completely forget to do it and then I'm screwed. 

But obviously if it were to prevent me receiving a further permission to stay I wouldn't do it this time.  Are you saying you have to wait until your visa expires until you can obtain the re-entry permit ?

If you got one when leaving for this trip out the re-entry permit would only be valid for the length of your current permit to stay. Then you would have to get a new one for the permit to stay you will get using your visa when you return.

Just go to your local immigration office after your return to apply for a multiple re-entry permit so you do not have to worry about forgetting it.

46 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

I assume when my visa says expires 28 Jan, it means midnight on that day ? So I can still return on that day ?

That is correct, But I suggest you plan on entering the day before incase you were delayed for some reason.