My First two Years living in Thailand, the good bits v the not so good bits

Pilotman

I agree with you. 

I made the same mistake to leave my country when getting retired. 

I should stay longer even working part time or as a locum. 

I'm at present in Spain and this already since more than 6 months. 

I enjoy the mild winter weather, the Mediterranean food, the Tapas and yes the wines. 

We met a lot of people from UK and mainland Europe. 

Also some came back from Panama or Costa Rica. All not granting safety as Spain. 

So we decided to spend at least 6-7 months in Europe travelling in our motorhome through Europe. 

Thailand is nice though the biased Buddha culture is at least confusing. 

And it's not easy to find clean beaches knowing that a few miles outside huge clusters of garbage is waiting to come. 

Our house in CM is wonderful when coming back from travelling. However with all the soi dogs around and loud music sometimes and wreckless driving and scooters from all sides.... we are planning our next trip overseas. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I live in the countryside, in Rayong Province, just on the border with Chon Buri Province, a good choice I think. close enough to everything,  but far enough away to avoid the crowds. I have been visiting Thailand for around 35 years.  My Thai wife and I married some 21 years ago and so she is delighted after so many years living outside the country, to be back home. Interestingly, she misses the UK a lot more than I ever do, curios that.  

The air quality is poisonous in rayong, what made you move there? 

You say it is close to everything? What is there? Where are you? Bowin?

Congrats on your long marriage. Where and how did you meet her?

58 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Its not the 'run of the mill' issues that worry me, the hospitals are fine for them, if a tad expensive.  its the possibility of a big hit, cancer, heart issues etc.  The medical services are good, if you can afford them. I can, but I would hate to 'waste' the kid's inheritance on a major issue here that would have been free in the UK, but that is the choice you make when you move here. .   

Glad you are planning on saving for your kids inheritance. 

Edited by Skallywag
contradiction
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

https://aqicn.org/city/rayong/

http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

http://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

Looks to me like the air quality is about the same as Chiang Mai and a whole lot better than Bangkok. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

Thailand is such a great place to live, full of friendly, vibrant people always willing to lend a helping hand. The junta are great guys too, always conjuring up new policies to help us foreigners out with staying here long term

In short, it is a truly wonderful place to live and has something for everybody.

I am so, so happy.

KP.

My heartiest laugh of the day. keep em' coming KhunPro...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

Thailand is such a great place to live, full of friendly, vibrant people always willing to lend a helping hand. The junta are great guys too, always conjuring up new policies to help us foreigners out with staying here long term

In short, it is a truly wonderful place to live and has something for everybody.

I am so, so happy.

KP.

I've always thought sarcasm should be used like a rapier. Not often it's applied with a trowel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

I don't live in or particularly near Rayong  City itself, but out in the country west of Ban Chang. it's 35k from Pattaya and about the same to Rayong City. Met when I did some business for my company with the company she worked for.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

http://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

Looks to me like the air quality is about the same as Chiang Mai and a whole lot better than Bangkok. 

bangkok is deadly, chiangmai is usually filthy.

It is sunday, once all those factories fire up tomorrow it will be worse.

Also it  depends where the pollution reader is located.

3 minutes ago, Pete1980 said:

bangkok is deadly, chiangmai is usually filthy.

It is sunday, once all those factories fire up tomorrow it will be worse.

Also it  depends where the pollution reader is located.

No it's not Sunday in Thailand where are you posting from?  Makes little difference anyway.  Do you think refineries take Sunday off? 

Saturday 1500 air quality good.

Edited by marcusarelus

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

That is not quite correct.

Thailand is one of the very few countries in SEA where foreigners can actually own land

in their own name, legally. But it is a lengthy and costly process.

(Houses they can buy)

There are also ways in which a foreigner legally can control land and house.

----

to op,

good you are comfortable

agree with you, would probably have been wise to be retired at home for a year or two

before moving, would have helped you to put things in perspective

Thai law states that foreigners cannot own land in Thailand (apart from the 40 million baht investment route)...............this is Thai law and although lawyers try to find ways to navigate around this by various share/company chicanery, the bottom line is that foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, and if these dubious methods of "ownership" are discovered, then the foreigner stands to lose the lot!

Been covered many times here and despite howls of protest from supposed land "owners" this applies:-

The Thailand Alien Business act is quite specific, and there is a blanket offence of circumventing land ownership laws that means anything that appears to allow foreigners to own land is actually illegal.

Anyway just about everybody knows that as it has been covered extensively on TV, and the law is the law.............so back on topic about the "first two years living in Thailand".

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Well the 90 day reporting may be going away sometime this year.  That will make things a little easier.

Yes of course it will, the pigs have just started their flying lessons.????????????️

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thai law states that foreigners cannot own land in Thailand (apart from the 40 million baht investment route)...............this is Thai law and although lawyers try to find ways to navigate around this by various share/company chicanery, the bottom line is that foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, and if these dubious methods of "ownership" are discovered, then the foreigner stands to lose the lot!

Been covered many times here and despite howls of protest from supposed land "owners" this applies:-

The Thailand Alien Business act is quite specific, and there is a blanket offence of circumventing land ownership laws that means anything that appears to allow foreigners to own land is actually illegal.

Anyway just about everybody knows that as it has been covered extensively on TV, and the law is the law.............so back on topic about the "first two years living in Thailand".

Thai law does NOT state that foreigners can not own land in Thailand.

Go read it!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I have been flying here for holiday and using the medical and dental services since 2004, never had a worry or problem and saved myself enough to pay for much of the travel expenses.

Medical services are completely free in the UK and dental is subsidised so the OP is not saving any money in Thailand in that respect, although just about everything else is cheaper here than in the UK.

39 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Thai law does NOT state that foreigners can not own land in Thailand.

Go read it!

Done that, and apart from a specific instance which may not be applicable to most here, it and the vast majority of legal sites agree with the following.................

Land ownership by foreigners in Thailand

Foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand. According to section 86 Land Code Act foreigners may acquire land in Thailand only by virtue of the provision of a treaty providing him with the right to own immovable property. Since 1970 Thailand has no longer any treaty with any country allowing any foreigner to acquire land pursuant to section 86.

PS. rather than taking over this thread with that which is off topic, why not send me a PM with info as to where I can find it written that foreigners can own land in Thailand, apart from the VERY odd exception.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Its not the 'run of the mill' issues that worry me, the hospitals are fine for them, if a tad expensive.  its the possibility of a big hit, cancer, heart issues etc.  The medical services are good, if you can afford them. I can, but I would hate to 'waste' the kid's inheritance on a major issue here that would have been free in the UK, but that is the choice you make when you move here. .   

You say the health service was free in the UK but compare how much income tax, council tax and national insurance you paid in the UK to how much of these you pay now in Thailand - zero if I am not mistaken. Were your prescriptions free and your dental work? Yer don't get owt fer nowt! Even VAT is considerably less here.

Edited by champers
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, champers said:

You say the health service was free in the UK but compare how much income tax, council tax and national insurance you paid in the UK to how much of these you pay now in Thailand - zero if I am not mistaken. Were your prescriptions free and your dental work? Yer don't get owt fer nowt! Even VAT is considerably less here.

wrong I'm afraid.  The vast majority of my income derives from/in the UK, so I pay tax on it. Yes, dental and prescriptions free.  I weaned myself of all my medication before I came here, proving the old adage, that if a Doctor can't find anything actually wrong with you they still prescribe something anyway. Never been or felt healthier for years! 

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

wrong I'm afraid.  The vast majority of my income derives from/in the UK, so I pay tax on it. Yes, dental and prescriptions free.  I weaned myself of all my medication before I came here, proving the old adage, that if a Doctor can't find anything actually wrong with you they still prescribe something anyway. Never been or felt healthier for years! 

Sorry. I meant how many Thai taxes do you pay? My argument is that in the UK you paid for NHS treatment indirectly via all those taxes you paid. I presume you only pay UK Income Tax now. In Thailand you just pay for health treatment directly to your provider, as and when required. 

Be aware that Thai hospitals are very keen on prescribing drugs, the more the merrier it seems.

• Like 2

One of plus points of living in Thailand (or similar) as opposed to UK is there is no local tax here (that applies to me anyway) .. back home its based on the property you live in ( not own ).

In the UK I would be paying the equivalent of 13,500 baht a month just in "council tax".  So Im that amount up monthly. My tenent has to pay it not me. £336.09 a month in pounds. 

I know there is "free" health care etc etc. I had just not thought of that plus point till today when I researched the tax sum now for a new tenent. 

Gave me a warm glow .. mmmm how many "free" beers does that money give me.????????????

Maths not my strong point but 13,500 divided by 0.90 baht is only 15000 beers a month.

Jeez. Gonna have to try and make do I suppose. Or find cheaper beer.

Edited by PAWNEESE

On 1/18/2019 at 4:13 PM, Pilotman said:

but I am at least as happy in LOS as I would be anywhere else, and, on balance, probably this is the best place for me. 

probably, to me, isn't good enough.  You need to be 100%, in-your-gut positive......  I was 90% sure I could retire here a few years ago, now i'm 90% sure I won't.  The last time I was 100%, I stayed there for 20-years.  Maybe this makes no sense to anyone...... anyhow, wish you the best when you leave LOS.  lol.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yawn. In 25 years of buying and selling land in Thailand I have never heard of a single case where a foreigner was prosecuted for circumventing land ownership laws. Certainly hasn't happened to me.

Read hundreds of know-it-all posts like yours though.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, rwill said:

Well the 90 day reporting may be going away sometime this year.  That will make things a little easier.

Please expand on that. Where did you hear/read it? Was there some sort of official announcement that it's under review?