My First two Years living in Thailand, the good bits v the not so good bits

Pilotman

58 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

In all cases, I have seen (and I saw one of my friends lose 4 million last year), it has always been the girlfriend teaming up with a lawyer, to take full advantage of such situations. 

AND why does that happen???????

Because the "such situations" mean foreigner either has to go down the illegal Thai nominee route, or "buy" the land through his girlfriend, or start a bone fide company in which he is a minority shareholder................all leaving him open to fraud.

The root cause is not being able to own land so entering into "dubious" structures leaves one wide open to fraud. 

Enough said.......although those who went down the so called "accepted" route might not see the obvious connection. 

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

AND why does that happen??????? Because the "such situations" mean foreigner either has to go down the illegal Thai nominee route, or "buy" the land through his girlfriend, or start a bone fide company in which he is a minority shareholder................all leaving him open to fraud.

The root cause is not being able to own land so entering into "dubious" structures leaves one wide open to fraud. 

You might want to check Americans and the Treaty of Amity and owning land in conjunction with a business. 

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

And the two cases I quoted were not "stories or fairy tales" but real events :coffee1:

i referred to the gist, meaning company route. companies holding land are established every day. period!

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Certainly owning land through a company is one of the good bits and the topic of this thread.  I don't see how that would be hi jacking except you might have disagreed with a less informed poster.  

put on your reading glasses mate. the Right Honourable Sir Xylophone, Esq. mentioned hi-jacking. :smile:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:
2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

In all cases, I have seen (and I saw one of my friends lose 4 million last year), it has always been the girlfriend teaming up with a lawyer, to take full advantage of such situations. 

AND why does that happen???????

shit happens even without any reasons :thumbsup:

Edited by Naam
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, garet said:

It's hilarious when foreigners complain about "the junta" which has had no impact on expats. Only foreigners living in the country  illegally or engaged in illegal activities have had more scrutiny (and good riddance). Without mass red shirt and yellow shirt protests, it's actually been easier to live here for the past few years. 

Speak for yourself, the junta has affected me greatly in many different areas, for the good, I may add.

Yeah, I got to admit the first few were a bit rough but now, each year has been getting better and it certain fore-shadows the company you hang around.

each year would be much better if i'd be a year younger. unfortunately......... :unsure:

I saw my friend get 4 million from his Thai wife after divorce recently.

Tell your friends to get a decent lawyer.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
On 1/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, garet said:

It's hilarious when foreigners complain about "the junta" which has had no impact on expats. Only foreigners living in the country  illegally or engaged in illegal activities have had more scrutiny (and good riddance). Without mass red shirt and yellow shirt protests, it's actually been easier to live here for the past few years. 

Speak for yourself, the junta has affected me greatly in many different areas, for the good, I may add.

bingo!

A Lot of this depends also on language, for better or worse, not so sure

I'm a bit of a polyglot and and languages have never been hard for me, so I speak and read Thai & Lao (well I transliterate Lao into Thai like they all do)

That at least gives you access to the culture. What I have seen, more than once, is an older farang descend into into a world of loneliness, stuck in Nakorn Wherever, unable to communicate with literally anyone than his Thai wife/gf and the depression sets in.

That gets truly tragic 

Edited by GinBoy2

After the 8 million he gave her? ????

"I saw my friend get 4 million from his Thai wife after divorce recently. "

What nationality was your friend and how much did he have to pay the ruling judge? 50/50 split? ???? 

Edited by HuskerDo

On 1/19/2019 at 1:58 PM, Skallywag said:

I thought foreigners could not own a "house" property in Thailand? Condos are available to be bought on the 51/49 , though no "land" involved.  Have only been here several months full time. Personally not interested in driving, retirement to me means no more hassle with cars, car maintenance, car insurance, traffic, and parking.  Plenty of alternatives.  To each his own, good post.   

you can own the house, but not the land it sits on.

18 hours ago, Naam said:

shit happens even without any reasons :thumbsup:

As well as for the reasons I have already quoted.................

"The root cause is not being able to own land so entering into "dubious" structures leaves one wide open to fraud".

18 hours ago, Naam said:

companies holding land are established every day. period!

But foreigners owning land are not. :thumbsup:

With respect then...........back on topic if you would be so kind.

Edited by xylophone

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

As well as for the reasons I have already quoted.................

"The root cause is not being able to own land so entering into "dubious" structures leaves one wide open to fraud".

But foreigners owning land are not. :thumbsup:

With respect then...........back on topic if you would be so kind.

One of the good bits to living in Thailand (the topic) is the Treaty of Amity for Americans which I believe specifies that an American company can own under certain circumstances.  You sound knowledgeable about the area I'm sure you can explain it.  

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Disagree. You make your own luck in life.

Farangs who get stung by their girlfriends usually only have themselves to blame. Poor choice of girlfriend is the primary cause. I lived with my wife for 3 years before making any serious commitments. Long enough to know what you're getting into, unless you're a complete fool (which a large percentage of expats are).

Second reason is the guy is a complete git and the girlfriend gives him a dose of "som nam na" for the way he has treated her. Many expats come here and take a Thai wife because they've been unable to find a woman in their own country, invariably because they treat all women badly. Thai women are more forgiving but they have their limits.

You reap what you sow.

The big advantage Farang men have is Thai men.  They are like Australian men used to be.  I remember going to Australia on R&R in the 60's and the ladies telling me what a gentleman I was. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Disagree. You make your own luck in life.

Farangs who get stung by their girlfriends usually only have themselves to blame. Poor choice of girlfriend is the primary cause. I lived with my wife for 3 years before making any serious commitments. Long enough to know what you're getting into, unless you're a complete fool (which a large percentage of expats are).

Second reason is the guy is a complete git and the girlfriend gives him a dose of "som nam na" for the way he has treated her. Many expats come here and take a Thai wife because they've been unable to find a woman in their own country, invariably because they treat all women badly. Thai women are more forgiving but they have their limits.

You reap what you sow.

Excellent post. 

Some come with the attitude that money can buy them control of women in all aspects  which as you say many have failed to do back home. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Excellent post. 

Some come with the attitude that money can buy them control of women in all aspects  which as you say many have failed to do back home. 

Well let's not fool ourselves there is quite a lot of 'money for love'.

I am not passing any judgement here, but if any 60 year old guy thinks his 25 year old Thai wife/gf friend is with him for his sexual prowess and good looks.....Disney has a movie for you to make!

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well let's not fool ourselves there is quite a lot of 'money for love'.

I am not passing any judgement here, but if any 60 year old guy thinks his 25 year old Thai wife/gf friend is with him for his sexual prowess and good looks.....Disney has a movie for you to make!

For someone not passing judgement your posts current and previous are full of them. 

Who is talking about 60 yr olds with 25 yr old wife’s? Ahhhh you as it helps you keep banging on and repeating the same post over and over. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, grollies said:

I really, really don't understand what the problem is with 90 day reporting. Every three months I get to visit Sri Racha, spend maximum 5 minutes at Immigration, say hello to the ladies there and grab a BK burger on the way back.

What's not to like and what's the problem?

I look at it this way: would I be happy as a UK citizen, living in the UK and the 'govt' asking all temporary immigrants from (e.g. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, wherever) to submit to 90 day reporting. Damn right I would. So, not a problem for me here.

These 90 day visa whinges are really boring, especially as (I believe) it can be done by post or online. <deleted>.

Some people work, are disabled, do not have transport, live hundreds of KMs away and other reasons. The main thing is why....you report so as to report you are staying at that address and must be done at that immigration office...so why oh why do they allow online reporting, it defeats the whole idea...never works anyway

15 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

For someone not passing judgement your posts current and previous are full of them. 

Who is talking about 60 yr olds with 25 yr old wife’s? Ahhhh you as it helps you keep banging on and repeating the same post over and over. 

Alright, I'm passing judgement then

I think is sickening to see, turns my stomach.

Feel better now? Told you exactly how I feel about the implicit and explicit sex trade in Thailand

10 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Feel better now? Told you exactly how I feel about the implicit and explicit sex trade in Thailand

Yes you’ve said up teen times

change the record. 

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I was wondering at the sanity of being married

Correction here............we were never married, just living together and that part of my post was meant to have inverted commas around it!!

This before anyone jumps in and calls me a tightwad!!

57 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So what is your limit on the age difference between a man and his wife?

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So what is your limit on the age difference between a man and his wife?

I don't really need to specify this, since everyone in their heart of hearts knows this.

But as a general rule, if she's young enough to be your daughter, or worse still granddaughter, you know it's just not right.

Imagine the ridicule you would face back in home country. Mail Order Bride...the list goes on and on.

Thai's themselves don't like it, but they just accept that it's a way for a poor young girl to make a fairly good living