Defense ministry defends new lot of Chinese Tanks

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I said it once, I said it twice and will say it the 3rd time.... Thailand was warned, they are coming for you, it started with travel agencies, mafia, students, etc., and now the tanks, same way it started in the south china sea... colonization process

I think it's common knowledge that the Chinese came for Thailand a long time ago. Most of the major businesses in the Kingdom are Sino-Thai controlled all the way from C.P. down. The power in the country is held mainly in Bangkok and probably Chiang Mai. After all, Uncle Thaksin was of Chinese ancestry bless him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A point that seems to be missing from all the previous posts re the tanks (and also the new subs) is that these weapon systems are NOT in service with ANY other country (including China).

The Tanks are purely designed for export and are not in service anywhere else.  The submarines they are buying are a redesign of a Chinese made export design, only sold to Pakistan, that they have  now claimed to have "modified" (no one has published what these so called mods are) for the Royal Thai Navy (RTN).  The RTN have not even confirmed if they have Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) or if the Combat/AIO system is compatible with anything else in the RTN.

The biggest problems for any small, or large, military are reliability, commonality and support.  Thailand buys new and unproven weapon systems from a plethora of countries rather that relying on a few reliable countries/suppliers.

Training, interoperability with each service, never mind inter service/allies, support and logistics must be both a nightmare and horrendously expensive in all sorts of wastage.

I have not even started on the requirement (if any) or the suitability (if any) of either system for this country!

9 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

As I recall, the gun barrels were prone to exploding if fired, so yes better stick to parades.

No worries, the co-axial machine gun (alongside the main gun) is entirely adequate for machine gunning people in the street, and the one on the pintle mount in front of the turret hatches is great for posing, and can be used against anyone on rooftops...

18 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

The Chinese tank is a copy of a 30 year old Russian tank, that is superseded by three updated Russian models. It doesn't rate in the top 10 of world tanks.

I suppose it will protect from bows and arrows?

as long as it can run and be on the military parades, nothing else is required

On 1/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, JAG said:

No worries, the co-axial machine gun (alongside the main gun) is entirely adequate for machine gunning people in the street, and the one on the pintle mount in front of the turret hatches is great for posing, and can be used against anyone on rooftops...

From an Australian pal of mine who is not from the military, but has spent time in other 'intersting countries':

'I saw an army train (in Chumphon) heading north. The gear it was transporting obviously had no use apart from on their own people...'

On 1/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, robblok said:

The point is that tanks are not good crowd control tools, but you seem to think that the people buying them thinks they are. That might be so but they are not. 

Someone mentioned this saying they were good for crowd control, i just disputed that.

I did not dispute that the people who bought them might think otherwise, though IMHO its all about skimming money and not crowd control in their head. Just look at their purchases in the past including the bomb detectors. They seem to buy all kind of stuff that usually does not match what they already have creating maintenance problems and such. So i think not much thought is ever put into the usability of what they buy, just about the commission they receive. 

I agree. Also, where else would they buy tanks from? The U.S.? Never, as that would make China unhappy.

Archived