Refused 1st Retirement extension

I think the "income" method is going to be a virtual nightmare going forward. Too many parts to a moving puzzle for many of the local immigration offices. Too many little things to go wrong, i.e., short amount transferred, transfer code wrong, etc. For some IO's it will be okay, but for many it won't. If you can't afford either the 400K or 800K seasoned Thai bank account, you probably should start looking for another country....or settle in for a lot of headaches!   
I totally agree. I think most people are vastly minimizing the potential technical pitfalls with the new rules. Remember previously no import to Thailand was required at all and while some see this change as good news its been clear to me all along a change to required annual imports especially done monthly would be a massively negative change.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 2

Got to be a mistake some not accepting combination method otherwise there would have been an announcement when the new reg came out
What announcement? The police order amendment does not mention combo method at all.

Consider the "mistake" might be expats expecting the combo method to continue without embassy letters.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What announcement? The police order amendment does not mention combo method at all.

Consider the "mistake" might be expats expecting the combo method to continue without embassy letters.

There’s a new thread just started by chap refused combo method in UK at home embassy there.

Got to be a mistake some not accepting combination method otherwise there would have been an announcement when the new reg came out
Unless some or many offices are reading the amendment as superceding. Also I don't know the possible nuances in Thai that may make them read the amendment as superceding.

Above post would appear to indicate the decision has been made to not allow combo method and this has been communicated to Foreign Service posts (as Embassy web site still shows combo method is allowed but above actions indicates it is not).  We seem to be playing without a playbook at this point.????

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, bwpage3 said:

UbonJoe, the savior to all!

Agreed, but unfortunately for us all, Ubon Joe is not in charge of Immigration and each Immigration office seems to make what they will of the new (and old) rules,  regardless of the actual wording, or our interpretation of it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Above post would appear to indicate the decision has been made to not allow combo method and this has been communicated to Foreign Service posts (as Embassy web site still shows combo method is allowed but above actions indicates it is not).  We seem to be playing without a playbook at this point.????

You cannot apply for an OA visa in Thailand anyway.  Applying at an embassy for a visa is not the same as applying for an extension in Thailand.

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think there is apparently some confusion going on at immigration about the changes.

That's going to be a big problem.

When getting your visa becomes a lottery you can no longer rely on the service and all stability breaks down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Of course it was not mentioned since the combination option is not mentioned in clause 2.22 for police order 138/2557 that was amended.

It is shown in 327/2557. The amendment only affects proving the income part of it.

The combo requires proof of income , to make up the shortfall in the bank. The amendment need to be more explicit on how this supporting documentation is to be provided. 

If the combo method is still allowed , under income being transferred into thai bank, then the amendment has been poorly drafted.

10 minutes ago, farangx said:

You cannot apply for an OA visa in Thailand anyway.  Applying at an embassy for a visa is not the same as applying for an extension in Thailand.

So tell us when did the combo method change at Embassies, it’s on the websites as one of two options re financing?

1 hour ago, davhend25 said:

I think the "income" method is going to be a virtual nightmare going forward. Too many parts to a moving puzzle for many of the local immigration offices. Too many little things to go wrong, i.e., short amount transferred, transfer code wrong, etc. For some IO's it will be okay, but for many it won't. If you can't afford either the 400K or 800K seasoned Thai bank account, you probably should start looking for another country....or settle in for a lot of headaches!   

I would not go that far. Give it time. I will guarantee you my country would also have issues when new rules and regulations are announced in situations like this. It will be very simple for Thai IO fairly soon. The required amount of money sitting in bank for the required time or money transferred from outside the country. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

But one thing is for certain, I am applying for my extension on the earliest date possible so I have some time to sort things if needed. I am not waiting until the last minute.

6 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I receive more than half of my pension via 2 annual payments. How does this account towards the minimum monthly payments that are required.

Not certain at all, but likely consolidated into your home account over the year, then 65k sent each month leading up to your ext. date.How to send it is another question and if combined with bank deposit seasoned..??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have already looked at it. I think it will all get sorted out shorley. I think they don't really understand the new rules yet.

Although I think you’re correct they will sort out this aspect,the disquieting thing is the amount of confusion already  by a number of offices manifested  on such a simple aspect . This is prescient for  the Far more complex question of identifying incoming funds into your account as coming from abroad which I covered in my earlier post. Even those having their uk state pension paid directly by the uk government into their Thai account are not identified  on the receiving banks codes as being a foreign transaction because they also use fx companies rather than banks making expensive single transactions  

. How do you think that will be sorted out? 

There is no time for someone like me who’s extended their visa last week to wait until this is sorted out when I have to ensure February's payment will show correctly to ensure 12 monthly payments are in place for my next extension. And in what format will the bank letter be if what I think will be the case, in that this bank letter will be expected to do all the work for Immigration? Individual branches,especially in out of the way areas are not going to understand the complex aspect of intermediary banks role in effecting most fx companies transfers of funds.