Security Monthly Quality Rollup will not install.

KhunHeineken

This one is for the IT gurus.  I have conceded defeat. 

For three months I have not been able to install the Microsoft Security Monthly Quality Rollup. Other Windows Updates install fine.  It's only the monthly roll up that will not install.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on a 3 year old laptop.  The computer is running fine, except for this problem.

I have tried resetting windows updates, repairing windows, and uninstalling all windows updates for 2018. SFC / Scannow found a corrupt file.  SFCFIX named that file as iesysprep.dll.  I have read I can replace this file with a good copy from another machine, but I do not know how to do this. 

I have turned off Firewalls and AV and tried to install, but this did not work either.

I have tried a manual install from the Microsoft Update Catalogue, but this didn't work either.

I have three computers.  They all have pretty much the same software.  It's only the one laptop that has this problem.

The Windows Update Error number I receive is 80073701.

Other information on the internet is to uninstall language packs,  When I go to lpksetup.exe I get a Runtime Library error that doesn't let me see what language packs are installed.  If there is another way to view language packs, and uninstall languages that are not needed, please let me know.  I only see English through the control panel.  I tried this lpksetup.exe method on another computer and found Hindi was installed, which surprised me, and I uninstalled it. 

I can not use a system restore because about 2 months ago I thought I had fixed it, so deleted previous restore points and created a new one with the fix.  Then, the problem comes back.  I haven't seen the green colour Windows is up to date box for a long time.

I have spent hours on this, and tried so many things.  So many, I can not remember to list them all. 

I would like to find a fix, other than a fresh install.

I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

KH

This amuses me;

I would like to find a fix, other than a fresh install.

A clean install would have taken a lot less time than you have wasted thus far.

Did you try a Repair install by choosing the Upgrade option when going through the Install process with your installation media?

23 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Windows 7 is like driving a Model T Ford. Get W10.

Nah, Windows 7 is a classic car, Windows 10 is some tacky new model full of air bags, kiddy locks, and beeping noises to tell to fasten your seat belt.

30 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

This amuses me;

A clean install would have taken a lot less time than you have wasted thus far.

Did you try a Repair install by choosing the Upgrade option when going through the Install process with your installation media?

The laptop doesn't have a DVD drive.  I tried repair off microsoft's website, but it said I had to contact the manufacturer, despite entering a legitimate license number.

I tried with a USB stick, but I think you have to uninstall SP1 before you can go down the upgrade path.  The laptop came with SP1 preinstalled, so i wasn't keen to uninstall it.  Not that I could find it in the list. 

You are right, a fresh install would have taken less time, but I took it as a challenge and didn't fancy reloading everything. 

33 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Not interested in W10 until the stop support of W7.

So when Microsoft stop W7 support, you will go over to W10. You will get full support for MANY years, your PC will be faster, and you will be up to date.

46 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Nah, Windows 7 is a classic car, Windows 10 is some tacky new model full of air bags, kiddy locks, and beeping noises to tell to fasten your seat belt.

And lot SAFER. You can configure it how you want. 100 Million users can't be wrong.

If the OP's laptop is running OK, then the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' mantra should prevail. I spent a lot of time buggering around with what was ultimately a corrupt W7 updates registry. The more fartarsing I did with official Microsoft fixes and patches just corrupted it more it until the only way out was a clean install. Best guess, overall maybe 8 hours of my life wasted? Would have been time better spent giving salient advice on this forum.

The OP can then opt to hide the recalcitrant windows update so that he never gets tempted to make it all perfect any more.

22 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

The laptop doesn't have a DVD drive.  I tried repair off microsoft's website, but it said I had to contact the manufacturer, despite entering a legitimate license number.

I tried with a USB stick, but I think you have to uninstall SP1 before you can go down the upgrade path.  The laptop came with SP1 preinstalled, so i wasn't keen to uninstall it.  Not that I could find it in the list. 

You are right, a fresh install would have taken less time, but I took it as a challenge and didn't fancy reloading everything. 

No...you misunderstood. This is only the case if you have old installation media. If you use up to date media it isn't an issue.

Just give me the make and model number details of your device.

If it genuine Windows 7 pre-installed by the manufacturer there won't be an issue.

That would explain why Microsoft pointed you back to the manufacturer, as it is they who are responsible for supplying you with media. You should have also created recovery discs when you received the laptop.

So give me the model details and confirm OS pre-installed by the manufacturer and we'll try a little something before the Repair install.

19 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

If it genuine Windows 7 pre-installed by the manufacturer there won't be an issue.

That would explain why Microsoft pointed you back to the manufacturer, as it is they who are responsible for supplying you with media. You should have also created recovery discs when you received the laptop.

So give me the model details and confirm OS pre-installed by the manufacturer and we'll try a little something before the Repair install.

Here's an update, pardon the pun.  I spent a few hours on the phone to Microsoft in India yesterday, and another hour today.  This is the first time I have had to call Microsoft, and I was impressed with the level of service.  Spoke to Level 2 Engineers, for whatever that's worth.

I now have an up to date USB drive with Windows 7 Home Premium, and the corrupted file has been replace with a good version of the file. 

They did everything I had done to tried to get the Security Monthly Rollup to install, but with no success.  The usual things like stopping and starting MS Services.  

My case will be archived as unresolved. 

The Microsoft guy did tell me that it's possible the problem is on Microsoft's end.  Something I tend to agree with, but have no explanation for why my other computers, with the same software, update fine. 

The laptop in question is a HP 210 - G1.  It has genuine Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled.  It's a nice little unit for traveling.

The System Update Readiness Tool was installed today.  I will check some logs later tonight, but I do not hold out much hope.

Still open to suggestions for a fix.  What have you got in mind KneeDeep?

I know a fresh install would fix it, but if I am going to do a fresh install, I will put that work into a fresh install of Windows 10, and if I do one machine, I will do all three, at the same time, so it's quite a lot of work.  I was going to leave it to later this year, but if this can not be fixed, I may migrate to Windows 10 sooner, rather than later.   

50 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Here's an update, pardon the pun.  I spent a few hours on the phone to Microsoft in India yesterday, and another hour today.  This is the first time I have had to call Microsoft, and I was impressed with the level of service.  Spoke to Level 2 Engineers, for whatever that's worth.

I now have an up to date USB drive with Windows 7 Home Premium, and the corrupted file has been replace with a good version of the file. 

They did everything I had done to tried to get the Security Monthly Rollup to install, but with no success.  The usual things like stopping and starting MS Services.  

My case will be archived as unresolved. 

The Microsoft guy did tell me that it's possible the problem is on Microsoft's end.  Something I tend to agree with, but have no explanation for why my other computers, with the same software, update fine. 

The laptop in question is a HP 210 - G1.  It has genuine Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled.  It's a nice little unit for traveling.

The System Update Readiness Tool was installed today.  I will check some logs later tonight, but I do not hold out much hope.

Still open to suggestions for a fix.  What have you got in mind KneeDeep?

I know a fresh install would fix it, but if I am going to do a fresh install, I will put that work into a fresh install of Windows 10, and if I do one machine, I will do all three, at the same time, so it's quite a lot of work.  I was going to leave it to later this year, but if this can not be fixed, I may migrate to Windows 10 sooner, rather than later.   

Personally, if it does not have an SSD fitted, I would use that as an opportunity for a clean install. The HP has a service door, so the drive swap can be completed in as little as five minutes. Then a quick clean install of Windows 7/10 Pro. Pop the old drive into a 2.5" external caddy(as little as 200 baht via eBay and the like). 

This way you don't need to need to back up any of your data and your device will perform much better.

But for now...Do you have the latest version of Internet Explorer 11 installed on that device? Do you mind moving to Windows 7 Professional or do you want to stick with HP??

We may never know what problem I had.  I had some free time this afternoon so I did a fresh install.  I don't need the laptop over the few days so will reload all my programs and settings at a leisurely pace.  It's quite time consuming, with various add ons and tweaks, just to personalize one device. 

So, I will stick to my original plan of staying with Windows 7 to the end of the year, then upgrading all my machines at the same time, unless a new build is released at that time, then I will wait a couple of months before upgrading.

Started on the reloading tonight and already have noticed how fast the machine is running.  I guess they get bogged down with so much crap over the years that it's probably not a bad idea to do a fresh install every couple of years.

I was frustrated at times, but found my personal research and troubleshooting this issue to be interesting, like somewhat of a hobby.  Just disappointed I couldn't get a positive result.

Just on the topic of Windows 10.  These licenses being sold on Ebay, and other online stores, for $10, are these for real?  Has anyone purchased one?   I was thinking of a fresh install of Windows 10 this afternoon, and the say you receive the license straight away, via email.  Just a bit suspicious of the origin of such a license. 

Archived