What is this morning market item?

Trujillo

I purchased some of these at the morning market in Luang Prabang, Laos. 

They sort of look like truffles, but they are hard as a rock, and there does not appear to be anything loose rattling inside (like a seed). I bought them thinking I could figure out what they are and how to cook with them, but so far, no Thai I have asked knows what they are. 

Any ideas? 

1751746819_20190118_194345_0011.thumb.jpg.925da34b575a2ef26ce36f02954bbb07.jpg

Probably should have posted this in the "Brown Things Bought in Laos" forum.... 

You broke two of my rules: (1) Don't buy something unless you know what it is and (2) Sure as heck don't cook and eat anything that falls in #1 category.

My Thai GF immediately recognized it as a herb but doesn't know what it is used for. She's says it is cracked open and the inside is used. 

I'm adding a pix an link to a site. 

Truthfully I think people in SE Asia will pick and eat any plant that they already know won't kill them and claim it has some special medicinal or flavoring property. 

Maybe dried version of the one in the picture. 

Anyway..... 

Good luck. Let us know if it makes your willy grow! 

https://goo.gl/images/3YH1YX

20190121_144713.jpg

47 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Truthfully I think people in SE Asia will pick and eat any plant that they already know won't kill them and claim it has some special medicinal or flavoring property. 

Thats all of Asia......

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats all of Asia......

Easy to believe. I just didn't have enough experience in all of Asia to know. 

Common wisdom has it that the Chinese will eat anything that lives. Crawling, swimming, flying, walking, jumping, growing out of the ground, etc. as well as non-living things such as bird snot used to make a bird nest. They must be uncommonly hungry folks. Hmmmmm.

That is truly the top of the food chain for ya. 

On the other hand I routinely eat things that come out of a chicken's butt. I have to admit I won't eat chicken feet though. Call me a food snob. ????

Archived