OT: is there a similar push here in Thailand?

BurgerGung

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=262233&fbclid=IwAR3H36t7aJW2HnSaSzptYAzNqaNpGXNiLLDfx73gI9zYfB8QqlTPYPLZBds

Have some of you noticed a strong loathing by some Thai colleagues? 

While many a genuinely friendly, some seem to harbor resentments.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Online Teaching....

But then I read the linked article, which refers to a push by Korean teachers to reduce/eliminate the use of foreign EFL teachers in elementary schools - their argument being that since the foreign teachers are only teaching elementary grades, then they can be replaced by Korean teachers.

That is a very short-sighted view.  IMHO, it is very important that young learners who are just starting to learn English are taught by experienced Phonics teachers, who can ensure that the students master the correct letter sounds.  That probably is not going to happen if a Korean teacher were used.

I do agree with one point in the article, which mentioned that many foreign English teachers were of low quality.  I suppose it's the same as Thailand ==> pay peanuts, get monkeys.  I see the same thing happening with online teaching of Chinese students, where it's possible to get accepted for teaching English, with nothing more than a $5 online TEFL certificate courtesy of Grupon.

I have heard this mentioned a couple of times here in Thailand.  After years of using foreign teachers the English test scores are still abysmally low.

However, there are two reasons that this movement has not gained much momentum here.

1.  There just aren't enough Thai English teachers who can hold a conversation in the language that they are supposed to be experts in.

2.  Foreign teachers are supposed to improve the students' speaking and listening abilities, which is never tested in Thailand.  So it cannot be proven or disproven that they have helped Thai students.

Personally, when interviewing new students, I usually ask if they have learned English from foreign teachers or Thai teachers.  The students who had only Thai teachers often could not understand the question until I repeated in Thai.

I absolutely hated my time in Korea. It was to be fair 20 years ago but the younger generations just pick up where their parents left off.

I've always found Korean men in general very smarmy and patently dishonest. The women working in language centers of a similar ilk. I would imagine Korean school teachers would be very difficult to work with.

The money like Thailand has gone nowhere in decades but the value of the won dropped considerably.

No telling about Thai teachers.

The best schools in Thailand have some problematic teachers, administrators, use agencies and despite reputation have some average at best foreign teachers. They're playing sane game as all the rest very unfortunate.

Working at a school with a reputation is NO guarantee of better professional attitude toward you. I'd recommend working your ass off and proving that you are their equal. Many Thai teachers as young as early 40s already lazy and burned out. Impressing a teacher in their 50s takes a very determined individual that enjoys teaching. My opinion is with petty Thai teachers you can't simply be good, do your job or even do it a bit better than they. You need to absolutely blow them away and be the best. Shocking perfect, serious and professional. Undeniably good and beyond reproach. If it doesn't work out then building this attitude and work ethic is transferrable, it will work at another school. Choose wisely or hest you can.

Archived