Recommend A Book For Our Thai Class

UKJASE

Hi Guys, we are studying at present, but the book we are using is dated, and a lot of the language is formal, or no longer used.  Could anyone recommend a good book that we could use, that is more modern and relevant to today's language.

We have typically been studying for 18 months or so, and can read and write at a basic level.

Thanks in advance guys and good luck with your learning ????

get the complete series of Asterix and Obelix

One set in Thai: Google: (asterix and obelix Thai)

and another set in your home language

combines features out of:

villagelife

humour,

drama 

modern and older style grammar

even from here, for in e-book form:

https://issuu.com/search?q=asterix obelix

The class are looking for a book aimed at students, that is up to date, and relevant, plus maybe fun to learn with too would be a bonus

Even the teacher said the other day "a lot of these ways of speaking are not really used any more" and that our current book is "boring".

Just wondered if anyone else was studying in a classroom environment, or studying alone using a school learning type book, and could recommend their book to us.

At a previous school we used Thai For Beginners, by Benjawan Poomsan Becker, and i thought that was good.  We are now at intermediate level though, with some ablity to read and write, so will have maybe outgrown this book now.............

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

Just to clarify you are looking for Thai language books for class that studies Thai as a second language right?

yes, we are all students on education visa's, at a thai language school.  we have all learnt basic reading and writing in the last few months.  or speaking is beginner to intermediate i would say

How confident are you in tackling novels and thick books? 

The works of Kukrit Pramoj is good and should be available in most bookshop, 

There's a collected anthology of short stories that's should be managable, should contain Mom

Bigger novels are Four Reigns and Many Lives which has English translation

This is recommended reading for High school level Thai, although the dialog in them are old fashioned but it should give a good context of Thai culture 

The class are looking for a book aimed at students, that is up to date, and relevant, plus maybe fun to learn with too would be a bonus

Even the teacher said the other day "a lot of these ways of speaking are not really used any more" and that our current book is "boring".

Just wondered if anyone else was studying in a classroom environment, or studying alone using a school learning type book, and could recommend their book to us.

At a previous school we used Thai For Beginners, by Benjawan Poomsan Becker, and i thought that was good.  We are now at intermediate level though, with some ablity to read and write, so will have maybe outgrown this book now.............

I think that you need a better teacher or a better school. If you are going to be examined on what you have learnt then "a lot of these ways of speaking are not really used any more" won’t do. If you are not working toward exams then ask for an explanation, how would it be said nowadays? That will be anything but boring.
I went to self study without English books after a few months at the AUA. For self study of the fundamentals I have several soft cover schoolbooks I started at about ป๑ but have thrown away all of them. One here I see on my shelf is ถาษาไทย ม๑ I haven’t read it all, it was handy for orthography and grammar and being school books the price was right. If I were in a class of people who wanted to study Thai I should think that school books would be an excellent recreational activity, if not actually used in class, your teacher would be quite comfortable selectively teaching from such books I am sure.
I think that people would be satisfied and surprised at how wonderful the feeling is to make your own discoveries about a language in that language.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

still no book recommended guys......  there must be someone on here who is / has studied at an beginner / intermediate level, where the students can read a little bit, but have not been doing it for so long, in a classroom environment, that could recommend the book that their class used..... ?

we dont want novels or story books, but a study book / study aid type book

it would be great if someone could help, as our current book is dull and dated

I agree with Digbeth. Read "ช้างในชีวิตของผม" (Elephants in My Life) by คึกฤทธิ์ ปราโมช (Khukrit Pramote). This is a series of short stories aimed as young readers, but these are not "children's" stories. Another wonderful set of short stories by the same author is "เพื่อนนอน".

Have a wonderful reading experience with these books and stories!

See: http://www.chulabook.com/description.asp?barcode=9789746905145
http://www.chulabook.com/speedsearch.asp?keyword=เพื่อนนอน&Option1=alltitle&x=31&y=13

41 minutes ago, DavidHouston said:

I agree with Digbeth. Read "ช้างในชีวิตของผม" (Elephants in My Life) by คึกฤทธิ์ ปราโมช (Khukrit Pramote). This is a series of short stories aimed as young readers, but these are not "children's" stories. Another wonderful set of short stories by the same author is "เพื่อนนอน".

Have a wonderful reading experience with these books and stories!

See: http://www.chulabook.com/description.asp?barcode=9789746905145
http://www.chulabook.com/speedsearch.asp?keyword=เพื่อนนอน&Option1=alltitle&x=31&y=13

our class is only at a beginner / intermediate level at the minute, so we would not have the ability or the vocabulary to read stories yet.  We still need study books to help us practice very basic reading, and learn structure and vocabulary.  

If and when we get to advanced reading abilty though, i will be sure to look up these books you both recommend.  thank you

I've seen foreigners using the childrens books Mana Manee มานะ มานี - there are 12 books. Beginner reading with spaces between words. Seems like there is audio for them also.

Just looked it up and looks like Thai kids use them in elementary school for reading practice.

Example - http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/maanii/menu/default.htm

How this Thai etiquette book is relevant to a farang learning Thai language?

It is written in basic Thai. Plenty of words crop up time and again.
It has cartoons to help understand the Thai.
It is an introduction to the culture of Thailand.
It is just another book, and one can't read too many books.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/26/2019 at 3:41 PM, nebuer said:

I've seen foreigners using the childrens books Mana Manee มานะ มานี - there are 12 books. Beginner reading with spaces between words. Seems like there is audio for them also.

Just looked it up and looks like Thai kids use them in elementary school for reading practice.

Example - http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/maanii/menu/default.htm

That is a good series, I don't think they used them in schools anymore though so that makes it hard to find and there seems to be nostaligia induced collecting from the 80's child brigade that makes good copies quite expensive

Archived