CCTV WiFi House Protection

jayceenik

We are buying a house near TGF's village up 100 km NE of Ubon.

The house is not far from the village but rather isolated and since we'll not live there permanently we would like to install a WiFi CCTV system.

I checked at Lazada and found this :

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8-ch-hd-720-worldtech-cctv-wifiwireless-kit-10-mp-1-ip-camera-8-nvr-daynight-i216226178-s326796716.html?spm=a2o6z.10453683.0.0.7b72368dbCYahp&mp=3

Anybody has an installed CCTV system and can comment ?

Thank you for any input ????

Call me an old fuddy duddy but I would be reluctant to use WiFi to connect the cameras, LAN cable is more reliable...you already have to run power cable to the cameras and yes you'll need a "switching hub" for all the LAN inputs...WiFi maybe for 1 or 2 cams but after that they could start eating up a lot of WiFi bandwidth, possibly easier for attackers to block the WiFi signal ? ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can get 3G/4G signal/frequency blockers too...really if someone is intent on bypassing /breaking a system they will find a way...or just wear a wig and stockings on head and break in anyway ! sometimes they just don't care what security measures there are.

You can get 3G/4G signal/frequency blockers too...really if someone is intent on bypassing /breaking a system they will find a way...or just wear a wig and stockings on head and break in anyway ! sometimes they just don't care what security measures there are.
Indeed. But casual burglars may not have jamming equipment.

Anyone can cut the internet line. Often by accident since they hang so low.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have 4 cameras on a hard wired hard drive, the mechanical connections need contstant looking after also the cables are subject to rats eating them.

I also have six 1080 wifi cameras that can be viewed on a computer or on a phone they record to a cloud and on a 16gb memory card inside each camera, The 1080 digital pictures are far superior picture vs analog cabled.

Look at Viewstarcam wifi range on Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i116221935-s120628169.html?spm=a2o4m.order_list.detail_image.1.311a6108lIZPPp&urlFlag=true&mp=1

or Hikvision system for wired cameras

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hikvision-720p-ds-2ce16c0t-irf-36-mm-4-hdtvi-hdcvi-ahd-analog-1-mp-i218982684-s332780687.html?spm=a2o4m.transaction_result.just4u.10.728b6108OiKomV&pos=10&clickTrackInfo=001e320b-b67c-4533-8f19-9e7a0293cf71__218982684__14399__2__99110&acm=201712060.1003.1.2263805&scm=1007.16389.99110.0 

Wifi you can easily fit yourself. cabled is a nightmare to fit.

Probably the best acknowledged system for domestic use is Netgear Arlo, you need a base station and cameras. Lazada have them but  Amazon prices from US are cheaper

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=netgear+arlo&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.pdp.search.go.5e8120e5ec2jRc

20 hours ago, JayBird said:

3g/4g would be safer.

3G/4G you would need a sim card for each camera, or a modem/router with a sim card. This may get expensive as you have to keep the sim alive

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

The 1080 digital pictures are far superior picture vs analog cabled.

Because they are cabled doesn't make them analog. Your cabled cameras are probably lower resolution or different format. Digital IP camera's can also be connected by LAN cable

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

I have 4 cameras on a hard wired hard drive, the mechanical connections need contstant looking after also the cables are subject to rats eating them.

I also have six 1080 wifi cameras that can be viewed on a computer or on a phone they record to a cloud and on a 16gb memory card inside each camera, The 1080 digital pictures are far superior picture vs analog cabled.

Look at Viewstarcam wifi range on Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i116221935-s120628169.html?spm=a2o4m.order_list.detail_image.1.311a6108lIZPPp&urlFlag=true&mp=1

I may also buy 6 of these Rimmer ....

What else is needed ?  do I need a control box or similar ? power box ? base station ?

Thanks,

steven100

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I may also buy 6 of these Rimmer ....

What else is needed ?  do I need a control box or similar ? power box ? base station ?

Thanks,

steven100

No base station just a power supply and your own wifi and the vstar app on your phone and or computer to view real time anywhere.

Slot in a memory card (class10 less likely a fake) and it will then record for about four days. Access the stored recording on your computer or on your phone.

Try one first see how you get on with it before you buy six ????

EDIT

Attached 1080 picture taken just now from one of my C16s cameras

Small House.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

No base station just a power supply and your own wifi and the vstar app on your phone and or computer to view real time anywhere.

Slot in a memory card (class10 less likely a fake) and it will then record for about four days. Access the stored recording on your computer or on your phone.

ok ,  will try a couple first ....  I'll buy the class10 memory cards ....  will let you know later how we get on after trying them. thanks for the advice.

If you want indoor cams to look at one room or the kids that you can pan around from your phone have a look at the C7837 / C7824 range, they are cheap enough and they also take a memory card, access from your phone and only need plugging into a power supply. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=VSTARCAM+&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.pdp.search.go.71a72211N687lc

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

do you have problems with the wifi camera after a power failure? does it all reestablish connection on power up? 

any weak spot in your system due to power failure?

what about power conditioning?

20 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

do you have problems with the wifi camera after a power failure? does it all reestablish connection on power up? 

All the outdoor cameras power up automatically after a power outage, no problem at all as long as the wifi also powers up. If the wifi did not power up when the power returns the wifi cameras would still be recording on the TF cards.

The wired in cameras  also power up no problem they are all Hik vision cameras running through an  Atashi system and hard drive.

The little indoor cams in rooms when powering up swing side to side and up and down and when they come to rest they could be pointing at the ceiling but easy to adjust on the phone.

I dont have power factor correction as I have my own TP 50kva transformer pushing out a steady 228v so cant really comment on that aspect, though I could see it maybe a problem for some with fluctuating voltage. 

24 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Arlo cameras are powered by individual batteries but I think they will need the wifi base station to upload to the cloud

I have a couple of xiaomi mi 360 cams. They work and have motion detection, but are useless without internet. That's why I also have an alarm system with a SIM card that sends SMS. Both combined are better, plus when you do get an alarm, you need to have an action plan. Mine is to get the security guard to go and check. 

And keep all valuables somewhere secure offsite if you're not at the house. A huge dog might help too. Or an angry mother-in-law. Same same but different.

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

EDIT

Attached 1080 picture taken just now from one of my C16s cameras

Small House.jpg

Very clear capture ....  so every 4 days if I wanted to view the storage I would do it from the computer or mobile then delete for all cameras and it starts again for another 4 days. ?

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Very clear capture ....  so every 4 days if I wanted to view the storage I would do it from the computer or mobile then delete for all cameras and it starts again for another 4 days. ?

I mostly use 16gb cards they are good for three or four days depending on 1080 or 720, bigger cards will get you more days, then they just over write. This is what the log file looks like from the C16s, not sure of the card size in here but it goes back to 19 Jan at 4:57

When you click on the log file it will play in the window or you can download them off the card if you want to keep them.

You can access the log file from a computer or your phone

Log.jpg

On 1/19/2019 at 12:04 PM, jayceenik said:

So does each camera have it's own memory card or is only one memory card needed which is slotted in the base station ?  price seems reasonable for 8 camera's.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

So does each camera have it's own memory card or is only one memory card needed which is slotted in the base station ?  price seems reasonable for 8 camera's.

Each camera has its own card, you can also buy the base station but you then need a hard disk in it.

you mention the screen capture is clear, the picture I uploaded is only 210kb the actual capture before I reduced to upload is 5.93 Mb so its a lot clearer

13 minutes ago, farangx said:

If you are hardly on the premises, and your CCTV is not linked to a security services, what you do want to do, watch them rob you?

You can link to a security service if you want, Why not

Why does any commercial or industrial premises have cameras? You can call the police, call neighbors set off the alarm release the dogs from their enclosure with the electronic door switch or even talk to them and ask what they are doing and take their picture on your phone. You also have a permanent record for identification later on. 

Last year I purchased a WiFi camera system to replace our aging hardwire system.  At the time of purchase I was considering a system with SD card in the camera but the techie in the shop advised against this type of system as the SD cards can be susceptible to failure caused by damp from the humidity.

The system comprised 8 cameras (a bit OTT for what I need) plus a router with built in hard drive.  Cost 6,400THB from Pantip (Bangkok) with 1 year warranty.  FYI – A 4 camera system was priced around 4,500THB.

The cameras are HD (1080) fully waterproofed and fitted with inferred which switches on automatically during low light levels and provides great images (albeit B&W) at night.  They are fixed cameras, meaning that they do not have tilt/pan/zoom (PTZ) facilities.  The cameras are viewed on my TV and can be monitored individually, 4, 6 or all 8 camera combinations as required.

According to the manufacturer’s information the distance between camera and router/hard drive is claimed to be as much as 500 meters with clear line of sight.  However, that will decrease with any obstructions (buildings trees etc).  My router/hard drive is in my lounge (near the TV) and therefore is surrounded by brick walls.  The furthest camera is about 100 meters away and I get excellent images from it.

The router/hard drive is fitted with a 1 TB drive and records all 8 cameras simultaneously, 24x7, for approximately 21 days before automatically recording over the 1st day.  Video replay is easy to obtain and can be for any one, or all 8 cameras.  It is also possible to fast forward the video up to x32 if required.  The router/hard drive is connected to my TV through an HDMI cable.  The camera router/hard drive is also connected to my internet router by cable and I can log into my cameras remotely on my phone/tablet/laptop/PC.

Installation was a dream compared with the previous hardwired system – no cables to install.  As I already had 6 power points for the old system, I only needed to add a couple of extra sockets to be able to utilise all 8 cameras.  The setup was very easy to follow from the instruction provided in the box.

We've had a couple of power outages since I installed the system but the system recovers automatically once power is restored.

I would, however, strongly recommend anyone with a WiFi system changing the router default user ID/password (admin/admin) to prevent anyone nearby ‘hacking’ your system.

I’ve been more than satisfied with the system.

35 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

Sorry… I don’t get paid to advertise ????

You are not advertising you are helping other people on here, if you do not want to tell the name of the system your glowing report is of little help to other people.

35 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

You are not advertising you are helping other people on here, if you do not want to tell the name of the system your glowing report is of little help to other people.

My apology… your quite correct… I was just responding to sarcastic comment which is of no help to anyone.

The system is produced by Worldtech and similar to that which the OP mentioned in his original post, but the HD 1080 version.

Archived