Another new hazard on the road

eyecatcher

IMG_20190119_115226.thumb.jpg.f6fe4f2ae2a86229d31d1b11c69e3de9.jpg

If you have not seen them you will.

Similar to the bikes they work via an app.

At  midnight last night these two came infront of me a t junction ridden by "mee too phat" and "hee phat khow"

Both drunk and were snaking until one of them fell off...it was actually hilarious watching her trying to straighten the thing back up

But seriously what a potential danger to everyone.

I had one as a kid, but to let adults on the road, steering with a small crossbar on a footplate only as wide as my foot, i can only imagine they need more skill to handle than a bike.

After the fall, they both abandoned these scooters on the footpath. 

As if we dont have enough to contend with on the roads.

6 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I have seen these around Tapae Gate. Only seen them mobile late at night when I guess there is little traffic, so they think its fun to whizz around the sois!

Until it isn't......

Both these and their big cousins (Moby Dicks or whatever they are) are a pain in the **se when they are dumped at the most inconvenient locations.  We should be allowed to treat them as litter and throw them in the nearest bin/skip etc.  I nearly said Klong/Moat but let us be reasonable.

PS;  Any Steamrollers around?

13 minutes ago, cmsally said:

so they think its fun to whizz around the sois!

and your legs/feet on the so called pavements/sidewalks and hurl abuse at you for being in THEIR way!!

I carry a back pack and have become very adroit on at least two occasions at swinging in the wrong (sic) direction at just the right time to cause a little mischief, I nearly said "some grief"!

Be warned tho, not 5 minutes after Tum Ting Wong was patched up following an emergency dash to the 7/11, a young couple came by and attempted to take them for a spin.

They are alarmed!...sirens went off, what a racket....for only 10seconds, battery obviously flat.

Quote: "Neuron Mobility is a technology pioneer in the personal mobility space and owns and operates the largest shared electric scooter fleet in Singapore. Neuron’s shared electric scooter services combine real-time telematics to address personal mobility in daily urban commute, goods delivery and tourist segments"

By the looks of it Thailand may see many more of these machines. There are enough problems on Thai roads and they do not need more!

On 1/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, scottiejohn said:

I am NOT trying to put a spin on this or crash into your post but could that pic be from the "Dukes of (some) Hazard" yesterday?

I think you are being very unfair! My prince is a Prince of the Realm, a senior Naval Officer, and a Gentleman. If he chooses to drive along on his roof, surely that is his right, and those of less grandeur should stay out of his way ( or off with their heads, say I!! ).

29 minutes ago, Sailor42 said:

I think you are being very unfair! My prince is a Prince of the Realm, a senior Naval Officer, and a Gentleman. If he chooses to drive along on his roof, surely that is his right, and those of less grandeur should stay out of his way ( or off with their heads, say I!! ).

we cant argue with the evidence

FB_IMG_1548064555716.jpg.a2a33c64f8ee1cd69d36b3c0a21b345d.jpg

1 hour ago, Sailor42 said:

Sorry but as we are obviously both ex Matelots we know he thought "full speed ahead and ram the slant eyed b**tards" and to hell with the consequences!

Batten down the hatches.  I am not being unfair to "his nibness", I am just defending "the old skipper"!

16 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Does the average Thai or visitor driver have such a thing?

I don't think many drivers here have any Neurons!

No, not at the moment but they could become popular (I hope not). Imagine a fleet of them carrying Chinese tourists to an "each as much as you can buffet" - chaos!!

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Sorry but as we are obviously both ex Matelots we know he thought "full speed ahead and ram the slant eyed b**tards" and to hell with the consequences!

Batten down the hatches.  I am not being unfair to "his nibness", I am just defending "the old skipper"!

Bravo Zulu!!

Yeah, the last three times I've been in Muang Chiang Mai I've seen idiots on these things.  It seems the foreigners who get on these electric scooters seem to have the mindset that they are 'vehicles' and therefore due all the rights and privileges as car - therefore driving down the middle of lane of the road without a care is the norm.  "I have a vehicle! I have Rights!"  Ok.  Works in LA, New York City, and Seattle, but eventually gets you killed in Chiang Mai or any other Thai city.   Really, as a kid I had a foot power one.  You rode on the sidewalk or along the curb.  No mirrors  on the handles; no brain riding it. - what could go wrong?  :dry:

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Yeah, the last three times I've been in Muang Chiang Mai I've seen idiots on these things.  It seems the foreigners who get on these electric scooters seem to have the mindset that they are 'vehicles' and therefore due all the rights and privileges as car - therefore driving down the middle of lane of the road without a care is the norm.  "I have a vehicle! I have Rights!"  Ok.  Works in LA, New York City, and Seattle, but eventually gets you killed in Chiang Mai or any other Thai city.   Really, as a kid I had a foot power one.  You rode on the sidewalk or along the curb.  No mirrors  on the handles; no brain riding it. - what could go wrong?  :dry:

I've coined an apt name for them: Suicide Cycles.  Just a matter of time.

• 6 months later...

Although I don't, and probably never will, use theses scooters, they do seem to be environmentally friendlier that motorbikes, cars, etc. and they create considerably less noise pollution, not to mention taking up less parking space. Not trying to defend them, but any mode of transportation that can achieve the aforementioned gets a thumbs up from me. Maybe it's the users and not the scooters that should be criticized...

On 1/20/2019 at 8:45 PM, FolkGuitar said:

They are like locusts all over the Old City during the day. I must see at least 10-20 different riders each day between Wat Phra Sing and Thapae Gate.

I've been thinking about a new invention for some time now.  I think its time has come. Let me hear what you think.  

You know the little crawler that mechanics use when they lay on their backs and roll under your car for repairs, well I want to get a huge rubber band with a foot crank for power and use that for city street travel.  Think about it,  You could lay on your back or stomach and even read a book or watch a movie on your phone while driving/riding around the city.  Great Idea Huh ??

Archived