GONE TO GROUND Fugitive speedboat killer Jack Shepherd ‘is hiding from justice in remote village in Thailand’

rooster59

Just now, sanemax said:

Have a BBC link then, which states "

"In mobile phone footage filmed during the date, Ms Brown could be heard shouting that they were going "so fast" as Shepherd drove at more than double the 12 knot speed limit.

On the return journey, Shepherd handed over the controls to Ms Brown who followed suit and went "full throttle".

The speeding boat hit a submerged log and tipped over, sending both of them into the Thames"

And in future , do your own research before calling people trolls 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-44924244 

No matter what link you post, the man is guilty and your still victim blaming, troll.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

No matter what link you post, the man is guilty and your still victim blaming, troll.

Your comment is over the top, really, wonder what would be your position if the man had died and the woman had survived.

Or you are the kind of 'the women are always innocent' type ?

10 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

It would be nice if we could discuss this civilly , without make accusations of "victim blaming " and calling people "trolls" .

I am not trying to blame her or anyone , my point was that (IMO) they were both equally at fault and therefore a long jail term is a harsh sentence . 

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I wonder what would have happened if they had jointly hired the boat ? 

I cannot envisage them bring a prosecution in those circumstances .

So, his problem is that it was his boat .

That is precisely the issue. You cannot just hire a speedboat and race up and down the Thames past the Houses of Parliament like you can hire a Honda Wave in Chiang Mai.

You need a licence. You need permits. You need to adhere to rules. It is a busy stretch of water. Perhaps you recall the Marchioness disaster He was well pissed. He ignored all manner of rules pertaining to safety. These include but are not limited to mandatory life jackets, speed limit, alcohol and allowing unlicensed persons to take the controls.

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Your comment is over the top, really, wonder what would be your position if the man had died and the woman had survived.

Or you are the kind of 'the women are always innocent' type ?

I'm the type who doesn't victim blame. The man was found guilty in a court of law in the UK, he didn't show up for the trial and went on the run. Does that sound like an innocent party to you? 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It would be nice if we could discuss this civilly , without make accusations of "victim blaming " and calling people "trolls" .

I am not trying to blame her or anyone , my point was that (IMO) they were both equally at fault and therefore a long jail term is a harsh sentence . 

A 6-year sentence is not a long sentence for manslaughter in the UK. 

Depending on the severity of the offense – and if it is classified as a voluntary or involuntary act – the maximum sentence for manslaughter in the UK is life imprisonment. However, the judge may impose a lesser sentence, including a prison sentence – typically ranging between 2-10 years.

(IMO) He was not given a harsh sentence.

4 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

I'm the type who doesn't victim blame. The man was found guilty in a court of law in the UK, he didn't show up for the trial and went on the run. Does that sound like an innocent party to you? 

Well, isn't it you who are calling people troll for discussing the issue ?

So, if the woman was drunk and driving recklessly, doesn't that make her at least partly responsible ?

one can be victim of others bad behaviour, or of his/her own bad behaviour, and this can be debated without calling people trolls.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hiding in a remote village, bit stupid if he is, because no way can a farang hide in a remote village.

Not so sure about that, Colin. While it's true everyone in my GF's village knows me, I have never seen a single authority figure there. The villagers don quasi-police uniforms on the public holidays to keep an eye on the drunks, and the Phu Yai settles all the disputes.

Mind you, the real police on a checkpoint on the main highway about 5 km away are about as slothful as you can get.

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

That is precisely the issue. You cannot just hire a speedboat and race up and down the Thames past the Houses of Parliament like you can hire a Honda Wave in Chiang Mai.

You need a licence. You need permits. You need to adhere to rules. It is a busy stretch of water. Perhaps you recall the Marchioness disaster He was well pissed. He ignored all manner of rules pertaining to safety. These include but are not limited to mandatory life jackets, speed limit, alcohol and allowing unlicensed persons to take the controls.

I dont think that you do , you dont need a licence or a permit to sail a speedboat on the Thames , you can just get in and sail away , although there are different rules for bigger passenger boats , which require licences and permits

6 year sentence, he'd serve half, then on license for the rest.

Depending on the severity of the offense – and if it is classified as a voluntary or involuntary act – the maximum sentence for manslaughter in the UK is life imprisonment. However, the judge may impose a lesser sentence, including a prison sentence – typically ranging between 2-10 years.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

50 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, you havent read any of the reports , after that , she took over driving and it was then that they crashed , when she was driving full throttle (I have already provided links to prove this )

I have looked and looked, I can't find anything that in any report of the trial where evidence was provided establishing it as fact that she took the wheel. Yes, several of the later reports mention it as if it were a fact but no actual evidence of why they think this, is given.

There was proof, in the form of a video, that he was in control shortly before the boat overturned and she was shouting that he was going too fast but I still don't see where they're getting this claim that she was piloting the boat from, other than Shepherd himself. Based on all the reports I can dredge up, there were no eye-witnesses and no footage of the actual crash itself.

Of course, there could be something I'm missing so if you have an evidentiary source that proves she was driving, I'd be interested to see it.

10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, isn't it you who are calling people troll for discussing the issue ?

So, if the woman was drunk and driving recklessly, doesn't that make her at least partly responsible ?

one can be victim of others bad behaviour, or of his/her own bad behaviour, and this can be debated without calling people trolls.

Whats to debate.

Jack Shepherd was found guilty of manslaughter, didn't have the ba**s to show up in court and subsequently is on the run. Charlotte Brown ( RIP ) is not here to defend herself, she was not found guilty of anything in the court of law, and I will have no part in victim blaming. If certain TV members want to go down that route fine but I will not blame the innocent as proven in the court and I will not defend the guilty as proven in the court and by his actions. 

16 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

I am not suggesting that a 6 year sentence  for manslaughter is a harsh sentence , I am saying that his conviction was a harsh judgement , considering that she was driving the boat willingly at full throttle .

I dont think that you do , you dont need a licence or a permit to sail a speedboat on the Thames , you can just get in and sail away , although there are different rules for bigger passenger boats , which require licences and permits

You need a licence to drive/sail/operate any boat or craft on inland waters in the UK. There is nowhere on that stretch of the Thames where you can individually hire and drive a speed boat. There a companies that will take you on them.

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I have looked and looked, I can't find anything that in any report of the trial where evidence was provided establishing it as fact that she took the wheel. Yes, several of the later reports mention it as if it were a fact but no actual evidence of why they think this, is given.

There was proof, in the form of a video, that he was in control shortly before the boat overturned and she was shouting that he was going too fast but I still don't see where they're getting this claim that she was piloting the boat from, other than Shepherd himself. Based on all the reports I can dredge up, there were no eye-witnesses and no footage of the actual crash itself.

Of course, there could be something I'm missing so if you have an evidentiary source that proves she was driving, I'd be interested to see it.

The Courts accepted that she was driving the boat , maybe her injuries or some other evidence backed that up?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I am not suggesting that a 6 year sentence  for manslaughter is a harsh sentence , I am saying that his conviction was a harsh judgement , considering that she was driving the boat willingly at full throttle .

The OP was about Jack Shepherd possibly hiding out in Thailand after being found guilty of manslaughter. 

However, the first reply was to defend him stating, she should be held responsible for her own actions and he shouldn't be jailed for manslaughter. I would somehow have hoped the first comment would've been to all TV member to keep an eye out for the POS and report him if seen. Unfortunately, your comments hijacked the OP straight off the mark.

6 minutes ago, roo860 said:

You need a licence to drive/sail/operate any boat or craft on inland waters in the UK. There is nowhere on that stretch of the Thames where you can individually drive a speed boat. There a companies that will take you on them.

Yes, but you dont need to pass any tests or anything  , you can just apply for a licence without passing any tests or taking any training , rather like a fishing licence 

3 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

I would somehow have hoped the first comment would've been to all TV member to keep an eye out for the POS and report him if seen. Unfortunately, your comments hijacked the OP straight off the mark.

So, are you disappointed that no one will join you on the manhunt ?

Yes that's true, but that area where the incident happened you can't hire a speed boat yourself. I think you did previously say you didn't need one.

Yes, but you dont need to pass any tests or anything  , you can just apply for a licence without passing any tests or taking any training , rather like a fishing licence 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do have sympathy for this guy .

The deceased female was driving the boat and she was the one who went full throttle and hit a submerged log which caused the speed boat to crash and killing her .

O.K, it was his boat and he allowed her to speed , but she should be held responsible for her own actions  , rather than him getting jailed for manslaughter 

I did not understand this story when it first happened, and I don't understand it now. Although Jack technically owned the boat, the lady was at the helm and thus should be paying attention to the waterway ahead and any potential hazards. It almost seems they are holding Jack responsible because he is the male in the boat - which is sexist. Luckily it was just a piece of wood she plowed into and not some kids having a swim. 

5 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

However, the first reply was to defend him stating, she should be held responsible for her own actions and he shouldn't be jailed for manslaughter.

Thats my opinion OK and I have a right to state my opinion and its wrong of you to abuse me for having an opinion 

Fortunately you don't find many kids swimming in the Thames around the location of the incident.

I did not understand this story when it first happened, and I don't understand it now. Although Jack technically owned the boat, the lady was at the helm and thus should be paying attention to the waterway ahead and any potential hazards. It almost seems they are holding Jack responsible because he is the male in the boat - which is sexist. Luckily it was just a piece of wood she plowed into and not some kids having a swim. 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I object to being called a POS (Piece of shit )

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would somehow have hoped the first comment would've been to all TV member to keep an eye out for the POS and report him if seen

You could get a suspension for that remark 

Do you have a reading problem or are you my glass is always half empty type of guys.?

Re-read my comment and you will see it was calling Jack Shepherd a POS. 

Just now, Tongjaw said:

Do you have a reading problem or are you my glass is always half empty type of guys.?

Re-read my comment and you will see it was calling Jack Shepherd a POS. 

O.K , fair enough , after  rereading it I accept that .

(BTW , I didnt advise posters to either report him or not report him if they see him ........and they are hardly going to do as I say, had I did so) 

12 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

As far as i understand, he was deemed guilty as being the owner of the boat, which, in theory, makes sense.

Still, apparently she was driving, so there may be some grey area in which we cannot be sure of anything.

Young people like to have fun, sometimes to have fun implies to take risks, pity for a young life wasted, and another one ruined.

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Courts accepted that she was driving the boat , maybe her injuries or some other evidence backed that up?

Again, I haven't see anything saying the courts accepted it. Several news reports seem to accept it, I just can't see where they're getting that from - other than from Shepherd's words at trial.

Here's some reporting from the trial itself including verbatim quotes from Shepherd:

Shepherd became emotional as he told how they went to the Houses of Parliament and on the return journey, Ms Brown became quite "insistent" that she have a go at driving.

He said: "So I got to a stretch I considered to be safe because it was quite straight and long so we swapped over. 

On what speed she was going, he said: "Probably full throttle and, you know, maybe steering slightly erratically."

Looking at the trial reporting, the only evidence about her driving seem to have come from Shepherd, including the claims that she insisted on driving and that she was going full throttle. Obviously she's not there to dispute his claims and since it serves his interests to place her at the helm, I'm just not convinced he's a trustworthy witness.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Not so sure about that, Colin. While it's true everyone in my GF's village knows me, I have never seen a single authority figure there. The villagers don quasi-police uniforms on the public holidays to keep an eye on the drunks, and the Phu Yai settles all the disputes.

Mind you, the real police on a checkpoint on the main highway about 5 km away are about as slothful as you can get.

Well mate when we were living in the mountains, 34 ks from the public road, i stood out like a sore thumb.

People from surrounding villages, used to come look at the farang, some of the older folk had never seen a farang before.

So if he has gone to a similar village, he will be the centre of attention, no way could he hide.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hiding in a remote village, bit stupid if he is, because no way can a farang hide in a remote village.

Wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb, would he? 

Probably another example of indepth Thai police work. 

Archived