GONE TO GROUND Fugitive speedboat killer Jack Shepherd ‘is hiding from justice in remote village in Thailand’

rooster59

49 minutes ago, rott said:

I doubt that many Thais would be aware of him so he would be safe in that respect. Until seeing this I had never heard of him.

Not seen the "Post" for a few days so I do not know how much publicity it has had there. Or whether the Thai media have made anything of it. Possibly the BIB are out and about nailing his photo to every tree near a remote village but I doubt it.

You have completely missed the point of my post, i did not say Thais would be aware of him, i said a farang cannot hide in a remote village.

Having lived in a remote Thai village, i know it would be impossible to hide, because as a farang i was the centre of attention, due to most older people in these villages never seeing a farang before.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, ukrules said:

He wasn't driving the boat at the time of the accident. It's like blaming a passenger for an accident.

Wow, that analogy couldn't be more wrong.  I really don't understand why some people are sticking up for this guy.

It was his boat, he was in charge of it, it was totally, irrefutably, his responsibility and no one else's.  If he gave the wheel to a child and it went wrong it would be the child's fault and not his?  No, he should not have let the child drive the boat.  I haven't seen any concrete evidence to suggest he was or was not driving at the time, but either way it does not matter, not a jot.  It was his responsibility as the owner / skipper of the boat.

Take the analogy further; if the captain of the Costa Concordia said he gave the wheel to a girl he just met at the bar and she crashed it, it would not be his responsibility right because he wasn't steering it at the time?  It would be like blaming the passenger.   Yes, that is a massive cruise ship, this is a pissy little speedboat, but the principal is the same.

Someone died as a result of his lack of responsibility.  He was tried in a court of law and found guilty of manslaughter, end of story.  But in the Thai Visa court I assume different rules apply?  Not only that but the coward has fled, evading justice, evading responsibility.  He'd been warned previously for his behaviour on the water whilst trying to impress girls, his boat was not maintained and had many dangerous faults, life saving equipment was not accessible.  Do you not understand this part?  The man is an idiot, he was reckless, he was irresponsible, he was found guilty in a court of law, and somebody is dead as a result.  Why is that so hard to comprehend for some people on here?  Why are people absolving him of blame?  It makes me sick.  It is ridiculous and an insult to common decency and the memory of the poor dead young lady.

Get a grip.

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, that analogy couldn't be more wrong.  I really don't understand why some people are sticking up for this guy.

It was his boat, he was in charge of it, it was totally, irrefutably, his responsibility and no one else's.  If he gave the wheel to a child and it went wrong it would be the child's fault and not his?  No, he should not have let the child drive the boat.  I haven't seen any concrete evidence to suggest he was or was not driving at the time, but either way it does not matter, not a jot.  It was his responsibility as the owner / skipper of the boat.

Take the analogy further; if the captain of the Costa Concordia said he gave the wheel to a girl he just met at the bar and she crashed it, it would not be his responsibility right because he wasn't steering it at the time?  It would be like blaming the passenger.   Yes, that is a massive cruise ship, this is a pissy little speedboat, but the principal is the same.

Someone died as a result of his lack of responsibility.  He was tried in a court of law and found guilty of manslaughter, end of story.  But in the Thai Visa court I assume different rules apply?  Not only that but the coward has fled, evading justice, evading responsibility.  He'd been warned previously for his behaviour on the water whilst trying to impress girls, his boat was not maintained and had many dangerous faults, life saving equipment was not accessible.  Do you not understand this part?  The man is an idiot, he was reckless, he was irresponsible, he was found guilty in a court of law, and somebody is dead as a result.  Why is that so hard to comprehend for some people on here?  Why are people absolving him of blame?  It makes me sick.  It is ridiculous and an insult to common decency and the memory of the poor dead young lady.

Get a grip.

You have to wonder.  Maybe they don’t like women? I’m struggling to think of any other humane reason. 

49 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You have to wonder.  Maybe they don’t like women? I’m struggling to think of any other humane reason. 

Unfortunately not an uncommon trait on this forum.  You can search for any number of threads about rapes where people defend the rapist with comments such as "why are we taking her word for it".  "Maybe she went voluntarily and changed her mind at the last moment and wants to avoid embarrassment so she calls rape" etc etc.

Very sad.  Very very sad.

Get a grip.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

He wasn't driving the boat at the time of the accident. It's like blaming a passenger for an accident.

Usually you are one of the ‘sane’ posters on these forums ???? but for the first time I disagree with you.

She was his date; whatever one’s views about sexual equality, she was under his care. It was his boat, and he was responsible for making sure she was safe, but he didn’t and she wasn’t. When the boat capsized, all he cared about was saving himself. And now, having been convicted of her manslaughter, he’s done ‘a runner’.

If she had been your daughter, or sister, are you saying he has done nothing to be ashamed of, and it was her fault?

5 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Usually you are one of the ‘sane’ posters on these forums ???? but for the first time I disagree with you.

She was his date; whatever one’s views about sexual equality, she was under his care. It was his boat, and he was responsible for making sure she was safe, but he didn’t and she wasn’t. When the boat capsized, all he cared about was saving himself. And now, having been convicted of her manslaughter, he’s done ‘a runner’.

If she had been your daughter, or sister, are you saying he has done nothing to be ashamed of, and it was her fault?

I guess I'm thinking about the boat as if it was a car.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I guess I'm thinking about the boat as if it was a car.

I'd suggest there are penalties for one letting someone else operate the car if not capable to do such in a safely manner as well - ie. someone who doesn't have a license, or is otherwise impaired to operate the vehicle safely, and the one to do that would be prosecuted in exact same terms.

Edit: A common thing where people get the book thrown at them, is when you give the keys to your car/bike to a drunk person - you can be held liable for that too.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, sanemax said:

I do have sympathy for this guy .

The deceased female was driving the boat and she was the one who went full throttle and hit a submerged log which caused the speed boat to crash and killing her .

O.K, it was his boat and he allowed her to speed , but she should be held responsible for her own actions  , rather than him getting jailed for manslaughter 

So, if I let somebody, who has little or no driving experience, drive my truck and he/she causes an accident, it's his/her fault and not mine?!?!? 

If he's the owner, he is responsible for the vehicle and who operates it. He must be held accountable for allowing others to operate his boat. 

On 1/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, sanemax said:

I do have sympathy for this guy .

The deceased female was driving the boat and she was the one who went full throttle and hit a submerged log which caused the speed boat to crash and killing her .

O.K, it was his boat and he allowed her to speed , but she should be held responsible for her own actions  , rather than him getting jailed for manslaughter 

I was singularly impressed recently by the guy who said that you can use any word to describe a female but never the word 'responsible'.  :cheesy:

On 1/21/2019 at 1:40 AM, dabhand said:

Going by the normally reliable Daily Mail (joke) JS actually travelled to Georgia and may still be there. But, there again, who really knows?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6610795/Jack-Shepherd-flew-Georgia-TEN-MONTHS-ago-officers-asked-country-help.html

BBC reporting that too...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-46953083

On 1/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, ukrules said:

i have to disagree, he wasn't driving but it was his boat and he had intentionally disconnected the safety kill switch, he then let an inexperienced, intoxicated person take charge of the boat - at night. he really has no blame?!

1 hour ago, samsensam said:
On 1/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, ukrules said:

i have to disagree, he wasn't driving but it was his boat and he had intentionally disconnected the safety kill switch, he then let an inexperienced, intoxicated person take charge of the boat - at night. he really has no blame?!

Two wrongs never made one right.

Of course, he survived, then he is the only one to blame, and blaming the victims is always wrong.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:17 PM, Kadilo said:

....so her family can get some kind of closure. 

a loved one disappearing without a trace needs closure.

a murdered child who's has died without an explanation forthcoming needs closure.

In this case the parents know exactly what happened and who is responsible. Is sending him to jail going

to bring closure? He's not a criminal, he just made a horrible mistake, while both were drunk. Tragedy.

7 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

a loved one disappearing without a trace needs closure.

a murdered child who's has died without an explanation forthcoming needs closure.

In this case the parents know exactly what happened and who is responsible. Is sending him to jail going

to bring closure? He's not a criminal, he just made a horrible mistake, while both were drunk. Tragedy.

Of course he’s a criminal. He got sentenced to 6 years because of it. He didn’t go on the run because he’s innocent. Stop talking nonsense. Hopefully. They will add a couple of years on to the sentence. You know the thing criminals get. 

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Of course he’s a criminal. He got sentenced to 6 years because of it. He didn’t go on the run because he’s innocent. Stop talking nonsense. Hopefully. They will add a couple of years on to the sentence. You know the thing criminals get. 

I hope not....everyone has suffered enough.....girld dead, parents distraught, this guy almost dead.

Whats is to be gained from jailing him...I doubt he's planning to take part in any speedboat races

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

I hope not....everyone has suffered enough.....girld dead, parents distraught, this guy almost dead.

Whats is to be gained from jailing him...I doubt he's planning to take part in any speedboat races

Who cares about him. He showed totally contempt for what he did and for the feelings towards her and her family. I’ve just listened to an interview with her father. I hope they get justice and the system shows him the same consideration and compassion he showed her and her family. 

18 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

He was investigated. 

He was tried before a jury of his peers. 

He was found guilty. 

He ran like the coward he is. 

Gaol him and add more to his sentence for running. 

Well here is something very funny, all this talk about Sheperd hiding in a remote Thai village.
He has handed himself in to police , but was never in Thailand.:cheesy:

Tbilisi - Thailand ? Easy mistake ?

The only one who came out on top here was the owner of this Nong Khai guesthouse !!

IMG_1051.JPG

Wonder who suggested he was in Thailand [emoji848]

Archived