BANGKOK 19 February 2019 11:15
j8k

Where to go over Chinese New Year?

I am not having a moan at the influx of Chinese tourists into the LOS, but I am planning on travelling around a bit over CNY and would like to find some places that won't be overrun like Bangers, CM, Phuket etc

Any suggestions? Koh Chang, Hua Hin, up country?? Anyone know where I can find affordable rates during this time?

Maybe try China...if they are all over here?

Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vietnam is also a good bet,  Tet is the most important holiday in Vietnam, Saigon and Hanoi will have the best celebrations,  I have yet to see fireworks anywhere else though, extremely regulated. 

• Like 1

Do not go to Penang over Chinese NY. Made that mistake in 2017 and my wife is still angry at me. All the Chinese owned shops and restaurants are closed (which is the bulk of them in Georgetown). The tourist sites are packed beyond capacity. The airport and immigration is chaos a la DMK.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Things sure change.  50 years ago when I lived there there were a lot of fireworks January 30, 1968 during Tet. 

1968 - that was 51 years ago. 

50 years ago I was getting ready to go.

Now? - some veterans have told me they found Viet Nam a decent place.

Still I hesitate. Looking for a place to find some peace and Thailand is spoiled, corrupt, polluted with Chinese.

But have they really gotten over the American war? I don't know if I have.

Any input? 

10 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

Still I hesitate. Looking for a place to find some peace and Thailand is spoiled, corrupt, polluted with Chinese.

Any input? 

I was still in 2018, thanks.  I changed it. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Things sure change.  51 years ago when I lived there there were a lot of fireworks January 30, 1968 during Tet. 

I was there for the sequel - Feb '69............though that one fizzled out real fast.  Korea Jan68-Feb 69, Nam Feb 69-Jul 69, Jan 71-Feb72, Thld Feb 72-Feb 73, Cambodia Feb 73 to Aug 73,  Thld Aug 73 Jul 74, Korea Jul 74-Oct76 and on and on and on  spent the entire decade of the seventies in Asia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

Any input? 

Had two tours in Nam during the war, I live there now, headed back in a few days...........first trip back was 1998, been back over 20 times over the years, spend a lot of time there now.  I spend my time between Thailand and Vietnam, gave up on Cambodia, spent two years there 97-99  and have been back a dozen times since - if you think Thailand is corrupt??, can't hold a candle to Cambodia, the Khmer invented corruption, they can teach Nigerians a thing or two.......the difference is Nigerians only want your money, if you're dead they can't get anymore out of you. The Khmer haven't learned that yet, after they get your money, they'll just kill you.

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Had two tours in Nam during the war, I live there now, headed back in a few days...........first trip back was 1998, been back over 20 times over the years, spend a lot of time there now.  I spend my time between Thailand and Vietnam, gave up on Cambodia, spent two years there 97-99  and have been back a dozen times since - if you think Thailand is corrupt??, can't hold a candle to Cambodia, the Khmer invented corruption, they can teach Nigerians a thing or two.......the difference is Nigerians only want your money, if you're dead they can't get anymore out of you. The Khmer haven't learned that yet, after they get your money, they'll just kill you.

I am a little surprised you spent so much time in SE Asia. I would have re-upped in 'Nam after one tour in 1970, but  - the paper work was too much trouble ? for someone .... they were downsizing the Corps, sent me to Camp Pendleton for early Release - non-essential MOS - I was a grunt 0311.

Didn't make it to Thailand until 2009. Then back in 2011-2014 and this January.

So can you tell me anything about Viet Nam now? How much trouble to get there. ? from LOS? 

I still remember some of  the language from the language school in Monterey.

What about medical care/health of ex-pats/veterans there? Getting DL? Anything to add?

4 hours ago, MuuKondiao said:

Any input? 

I (US Citizen), was there three years ago. The Vietnamese I met were gracious and friendly, taking an interest in practicing English. The French seemed welcomed as well, judging by observing interaction between them and the locals. Do give it a try.

• Like 1