Transfering money for O visa

Two weeks ago I entered Thailand for the first time on my O visa bringing with me, in my backpack, $30k in cash. I have no proof that I brought in the money but can easily transfer a further $40k. The problem is that if I change $40k cash at SuperRich I am $1,200 (approx. 27k baht) better off than if I change my money at Siam Commercial Bank. If my Australian bank transfers to SCB $40k is there a way to get the much better SuperRich exchange rate if I use bank transfers?

Edited by OzMan
Add details

If you already have a non-o visa and plan on using the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months option to apply for an extension of stay you will not have to prove the money came from abroad.

Not sure what the difference in exchange rates are but you would get the standard exchange rate when transferring into the account no matter how much it is.

5 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I obtained the retirement visa in Australia before moving to Thailand.

In this case, you do have to prove that the money was transferred from abroad when you apply for a one-year retirement extension at your local immigration office with 800k Baby in your Thai bank account.

14 hours ago, OzMan said:

If my Australian bank transfers to SCB $40k is there a way to get the much better SuperRich exchange rate if I use bank transfers?

If you have a local account have you considered Transferwise? Their rates appear better than the banks TT rates, whether they are as good as Superrich I do not know. 

I send transfer wise to my SCB account from aus and get a good rate make sure you transfer from aus account in the morning and you will save a day wait if you don't mind where does your income come from , mine is thought DVA

10 hours ago, OzMan said:

I obtained the retirement visa in Australia before moving to Thailand.

Do you have single entry non-o visa or a OA long stay visa? With a OA visa you will not need to worry about the extension of stay and having the money in the bank for almost 2 years.

1 minute ago, mosan said:

How do you get 2 years from an O-A VISA unless it is a multiple entry? What am I missing?

It is a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can get a new one year entry just before it expires and then a re-entry permit to keep that last entry valid if you want to travel.

• Like 1

For the record, I just applied for a Non-Imm. O-A from Washington D.C., and the form has a spot where you can request 1 or more entries, and I paid the $200. So yes, reading the text on the website, it does say "Validity of VISA: multiple entries.  So if approved, I guess I'll not have to worry about an extension until 2021...

If you already have a non-o visa and plan on using the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months option to apply for an extension of stay you will not have to prove the money came from abroad.
Not sure what the difference in exchange rates are but you would get the standard exchange rate when transferring into the account no matter how much it is.
if applying for a non-o, does the 800k need to come from abroad? if so that is confusing

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

if applying for a non-o, does the 800k need to come from abroad? if so that is confusing

If you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and apply or a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration the proof the 800k baht came from abroad is required. I think they set that rule since the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for it.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80 ( to change languages click Eng at the top of the page)

• Like 1