Visa for my Filipina girlfriend.

I have a retirement visa, but my girlfriend is on a one-year Ed visa, which expires in April.  

She hasn't really learned any Thai to speak of, so she probably cannot get a 2nd year Ed visa.  

I'm thinking of taking her to Vientiane to get a 60-day tourist visa or having her apply for a 60-day tourist visa when she visits her family in Cebu next month.  I don't know the current scene re: Laos tourist visas.  I believe it used to be possible to go to Laos and get a 60-day tourist visa and then before that visa lapses, get a one-month extension at local immig. office.  Also is it possible to repeat the above every three months and get permission to stay for the whole year in this fashion?  

Thank you in advance for any info on this.

She shouldn't have a problem getting a visa from Vientiane.

If she tries staying long term as a tourist; there is a high chance - especially if she's young - that she will eventually get questioned when entering the country.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should not be a problem for her to get 3 tourist visa in Vientiane. She can apply for a 30 day extension for each 60 day entry. After 3 it would be best to go to another embassy or consulate for one.

Thank you, ubonjoe.  

Okay, so that would account for 9 months.  

How many 30-day-on-arrival stamps can she get in one year, in addition to the 3 visas and extensions from Laos?  

2 minutes ago, jacobus said:

Thank you, ubonjoe.  

Okay, so that would account for 9 months.  

How many 30-day-on-arrival stamps can she get in one year, in addition to the 3 visas and extensions from Laos?  

It's impossible for anyone to answer. 

IO's definitely profile 'long term tourists', and they will be highly suspicious that a Filipina will be working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I would look into her getting a Non Ed to study English. Since English, I assume, is not her native language, this should be allowed. Chinese is another possibility.

If you go the tourist visa route, and want it to be feasible long term, great care is needed. Although Vientiane will work fine to apply for 2-4 tourist visas, it is wasteful to start there. Start with locations that are liable to be problematic when you have a few previous tourist visas, but which will not affect applications in Vientiane later. In particular, consulates which can only conveniently be reached by air (Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Kuala Lumpur, for instance) should be used early. This is because entering Thailand by air becomes risky once you can be viewed as living in Thailand on tourist visas.

A marriage of convenience would make visas much easier, but I assume you are aware of that, and the possible drawbacks.

If money is no object, consider a Thailand Elite visa.

Thank you, BritTim.  I love the way that you laid out several different options for me.  That's very helpful, indeed.  

Now a follow up question if anyone knows about this.  I actually may decide to marry my Filipina gf.  Does anyone know if I can marry a Filipina here in Thailand?  If I'm going to marry her, I would prefer to marry her here in Thailand.  If we were in the U.S., we could just go to a justice of the peace and get married.  Do they have some such functionary here in the LOS?  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacobus said:

Thank you, BritTim.  I love the way that you laid out several different options for me.  That's very helpful, indeed.  

Now a follow up question if anyone knows about this.  I actually may decide to marry my Filipina gf.  Does anyone know if I can marry a Filipina here in Thailand?  If I'm going to marry her, I would prefer to marry her here in Thailand.  If we were in the U.S., we could just go to a justice of the peace and get married.  Do they have some such functionary here in the LOS?  

In principle, a civil marriage in Thailand is pretty simple, as I understand it. That may depend, for foreigners, on the amphoe where you choose to tie the knot. My understanding is that you both need an affirmation of freedom to marry from your respective embassies, and that is about it. I am not an expert on this process, though. Someone else may be along to correct me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 7:13 PM, BritTim said:

I would look into her getting a Non Ed to study English. Since English, I assume, is not her native language, this should be allowed. Chinese is another possibility.

I have only found one language school here in Chiang Rai, which will support an application for ED visa for studying English -- Seal Language School.  It's pretty far from where we live though.  

Does anyone know of another school in Chiang Rai or an online school which might support an ED visa for studying English?