Proof of single status

dode57k

Forgive me, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm at work and short of time. Quite simply how do you prove you are single when going to Embassy for affirmation of freedom to marry. Are checks done or do you just swear and pay?

thanks

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The British Embassy checks the marriage records in the UK

The reason I'm asking is because I'm divorced but won't be able to get an "original" divorce decree in time for my appointment. Someone, somewhere said "just say your single" but I've been concerned that if checks are done I'm goosed. Not really trying to lie to anyone, just pushed for time

So what is the advice of those in the know? Bluff or cancel appointment and try to get original divorce decree from the court in UK?

7 minutes ago, dode57k said:

The reason I'm asking is because I'm divorced but won't be able to get an "original" divorce decree in time for my appointment. Someone, somewhere said "just say your single" but I've been concerned that if checks are done I'm goosed. Not really trying to lie to anyone, just pushed for time

So what is the advice of those in the know? Bluff or cancel appointment and try to get original divorce decree from the court in UK?

You are single because you're divorced.

Your problem is that they want you to declare the fact that you are divorced and provide proof of that divorce.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You are single because you're divorced.

Your problem is that they want you to declare the fact that you are divorced and provide proof of that divorce.

Yes I understand that, but will they check I've ever been married?

17 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Yes I understand that, but will they check I've ever been married?

No.

You are affirming (declaring/swearing) that you are single, divorced or widowed.

AFFIRMATION OF MARITAL STATUS

I, JONATHAN JAMES BLOGGS, do solemnly and sincerely affirm as follows: The following is information about myself:

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Reading the Embassy's blurb, it says 'copies' of divorce papers, death certificates will not be accepted.

What will the ones they send to you be, originals.....I think not. 

The 'copy' they send is accepted.

Wilfully making a statement to a Consul or Vice-Consul which you know to be false or do not believe to be true is perjury, contrary to Section 1 of the Perjury Act 1911.

As discussion of illegal activities is not allowed, this thread is now closed.

Archived