Feminist strippers win fight to keep UK club open

rooster59

Feminist strippers win fight to keep UK club open

By Sonia Elks

800x800 (1).jpg

A go-go dancer performs at a club in New York June 15, 2005. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton SS - RP6DRNASORAA

LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A strip club in Britain has won a battle to remain open after local authorities were told many of the dancers who work there are feminists.

The Urban Tiger club in the western city of Bristol had faced calls for its licence to be removed, but argued that stripping was not inconsistent with women's rights.

"It was the right decision,", Bristol-based burlesque dancer and stripper Tuesday Laveau told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

"Feminism is about women making their own choices and what I see in this criticism is a deep discomfort with women who are comfortable with their own sexuality."

Sex work and stripping have long divided feminists, with critics arguing it encourages the objectification of women, while those in favour saying women have the right to use their bodies as they wish.

Urban Tiger, which offers both full and partially nude dances, had faced strong opposition to its application for a licence renewal as a sexual entertainment venue from some women's rights campaigners.

"I am unable to avoid seeing Urban Tiger whenever I go to the city centre. I experience this as a constant reminder to me of my place as a woman in society and of Bristol's tolerance of sexism in our city," wrote one objector.

Another said: "Sexual entertainment venues promote the inequality and objectification of women. However well-run they claim to be, that remains the message their presence conveys."

However, the lawyer representing the club told Bristol City Council's licensing committee that dancers working there considered themselves feminists.

There were also some messages of support from women.

"Just because a small group of women are against these venues does not mean they should be closed," wrote one woman.

"I for one am a female who chooses to visit these venues on a night out with my friends."

A spokeswoman for Bristol City Council confirmed that the club's licence had been renewed.

REUTERS: 2019-01-19

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Feminists go ballistic over being treated like sex objects but defend their right deliberately to act like sex objects.

No wonder are confused. Not to mention an awful lot of women.

Its not confusing at all .

Some females feel that stripping is acceptable and some do not 

Quite straight forward 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Quite straight forward 

Yes, but if they all claim to be feminists it's confusing. What is the official feminist party line with regard to stripping?

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Quite straight forward 

Maybe to you, but not to me. Feminists rail against the objectification of women. If a feminist is a stripper then surely she is encouraging the very objectification that feminists complain about.

You can't, as the feminst art mistress said to gardener, have it both ways at once.

15 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Maybe to you, but not to me. Feminists rail against the objectification of women. If a feminist is a stripper then surely she is encouraging the very objectification that feminists complain about.

You can't, as the feminst art mistress said to gardener, have it both ways at once.

No! If feminist do something it's about empowerment. It's does not matter what they do it's always about empowerment.

Obviously if someone else would do it now that's a totally different situation. ???? 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

An articles about feminists in the UK with a picture of a go-go dancer in New York from 14 years ago. I have an idea why they didn't publish any pictures of those UK feminists...

Maybe they didn't want to publish the UK version of the photos...   :biggrin:

86896355_2019-01-2019_20_11.jpg.14dc51b282d1eea8eb895a97b946baa3.jpg

If men didn't look at women as sex object the human race would die out. I have yet to hear the chat up line, whats your IQ love I must be 120 or above before I buy you a drink. Or two blokes having a chat I bet she is a doctor etc. No its what big bobs she has or nice arse etc.  No its woman who ask the 3 questions. 1. what car do you drive. 2. What job do you do. 3. Do you own your own house. So its woman who ask if you have enough money before you get in her knickers but we cant talk about that can we because another name for that is.......  

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No! If feminist do something it's about empowerment. It's does not matter what they do it's always about empowerment.

Obviously if someone else would do it now that's a totally different situation. ???? 

Maybe you would like to mansplain this to them! 

12 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

If men didn't look at women as sex object the human race would die out. I have yet to hear the chat up line, whats your IQ love I must be 120 or above before I buy you a drink. Or two blokes having a chat I bet she is a doctor etc. No its what big bobs she has or nice arse etc.  No its woman who ask the 3 questions. 1. what car do you drive. 2. What job do you do. 3. Do you own your own house. So its woman who ask if you have enough money before you get in her knickers but we cant talk about that can we because another name for that is.......  

Yeah thats right , if I didnt notice my girlfriend sitting in a bar with a mini skirt on with high heels , make-up  and half her jugs hanging out , I would never have thought "Cor, I'd give her one" and my son would never have been born

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Yeah thats right , if I didnt notice my girlfriend sitting in a bar with a mini skirt on with high heels , make-up  and half her jugs hanging out , I would never have thought "Cor, I'd give her one" and my son would never have been born

Just sitting around didn't do it for me. I waited until she came on stage and I made sure she knows how to move her body. And I wouldn't accept hanging jugs!

Archived