Appointments at British Consulate Bangkok

I am attempting to arrange an appointment at British Consulate Bangkok in March 2019 to obtain the necessary Affirmation of Freedom to Marry but I have found that there are no available days, save a couple of days which are not convenient for me.

I sent an email to them and received a very unhelpful reply.   

I wonder if those of you who are in Thailand know what might be the reason that everyday is shown as 'unavailable'.  I am in UK.

Perhaps they have too many golf days - LOL!!!

Grateful for any advice

Thank you

You are not the first person to complain about.

From what I have read in posts about it you just have to keep checking to see if any days open up if somebody cancels their appointment.

I just looked and there a some for March 15th and the week after.

image.png.61e06651ca296f17fcbe1da56655264b.png

3 hours ago, neverceasetobeamazed said:

Very much like the Consulate itself!!

Your frustrating experience is IMHO all the more inexcusable given that the staff members who were responsible for processing income confirmation letters prior to the Embassy withdrawing this service are, presumably, still sitting around with nothing to do these days other than twiddling their thumbs!

OP.... If I recall correctly the BE appointment system diary only shows the next 2 months appointment availability.  So for today 21/01/19 the diary will only show appointments that are available up to the 21/3/19 and as you have found most of these have already been taken.  It seems that a lot of people still want the Embassies services.

You should find that if you try again (normally at the beginning of the week) they will open up that equivalent week 2 months ahead.

Best of luck

Just to put a little perspective on things.

The British Embassy in Bangkok is the busiest British Embassy on the planet. They don't have time to "twiddle their thumbs" as so many people here seem to think.

As far as appointments go, if there are none available, it's because they have already been booked by someone else. All you can do is keep checking for any cancellations or wait for new slots to be made available.

As far as agents go, they can't get appointments that aren't available to you, so can't bypass anything.

They can fill in all your paperwork for you, but be aware that if they do it wrong (and a lot do) you will have to redo it all when you're there.

3 minutes ago, philba said:

The British Embassy in Bangkok is the busiest British Embassy on the planet. They don't have time to "twiddle their thumbs" as so many people here seem to think.

As far as appointments go, if there are none available, it's because they have already been booked by someone else. All you can do is keep checking for any cancellations or wait for new slots to be made available.

As far as agents go, they can't get appointments that aren't available to you, so can't bypass anything.

They can fill in all your paperwork for you, but be aware that if they do it wrong (and a lot do) you will have to redo it all when you're there.

I think your incorrect with your statement about the Bangkok British embassy being the busiest, according to the documentary i saw recently that honour went to the BE in India. 

I’m off there tomorrow - booked the appointment more than 3 weeks ago as the first one available, and I think I was lucky to get that. As ubonjoe says, just keep looking.

By the way, I tried the agents who were hanging around outside the embassy to see if they could get a quicker appointment, but they use the same system as the rest of us.

Good luck

4 hours ago, philba said:

The name Civil Service implies serving the citizens. Any organization facing on-going regular criticism for being unable to meet customer i.e. citizens' expectations would do something about it. Increase the amount of appointments, more staff, longer working hours, better use of IT etc etc. 

But no. Not even an attempt to design the operation to actually serve the market needs.

Pathetic, as with most things connected with the self serving governments of today.

1 hour ago, condobrit001 said:

One would think that the recent sale of Embassy grounds, the outsourcing of passport issue and the extortionate fees they charge for the verification of documents by junior non-British staff would allow them to increase staffing levels to meet the demand they are facing! Fat chance!

You've clearly never been behind scenes in an embassy and consulate!

They don't start early, or finish late, or become flexible and agile to meet customer needs. 

One pace, no innovation and a "we're government so the plebs can't complain" mentality.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You've clearly never been behind scenes in an embassy and consulate!

They don't start early, or finish late, or become flexible and agile to meet customer needs. 

One pace, no innovation and a "we're government so the plebs can't complain" mentality.

Reality will likely prove the exact opposite.

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

Kindly provide a link to support this assertion. Or have you based it on bar gossip?

Stats are published per annum. Consular-wise Bkk beats just about everywhere else. If a documentary suggests otherwise it presumably referred to other activities under the same roof in the countries being highlighted.

8 hours ago, philba said:

Absolutely no excuse and the explanation you put forward here is not a valid reason for shoddy and unhelpful service and a poor attitude. They are a disgrace and have been for many years. You are wrong by the way, the busiest by most measures is in Delhi, he second in Washington DC.  

20 hours ago, evadgib said:

Stats are published per annum. Consular-wise Bkk beats just about everywhere else. If a documentary suggests otherwise it presumably referred to other activities under the same roof in the countries being highlighted.

Is this what you mean?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/580501/161223_FCO_HBNA_Report__Double_Pages_.pdf

Despite dating back to 2016 these appear to be the latest stats which have been published - and they indicate that Thailand was third behind Spain and the USA in the "consular assistance" league table for the year which ended on 31st March 2016.

20 hours ago, evadgib said:

So according to you the F.C.O. who the documentary was about, their own staff being interviewed are wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, evadgib said:

Reality will likely prove the exact opposite.

I would challenge you on your statement. I did work behind the scenes in my younger days. We did provide service. Most embassies still do way more without prior appointment than Brit. embassy does. E.g. life certificate.

Civil service forgets that their income comes from the taxpayer, the ppl who are a nuisance to deal with in civil service eyes.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

You are not the first person to complain about.

From what I have read in posts about it you just have to keep checking to see if any days open up if somebody cancels their appointment.

I just looked and there a some for March 15th and the week after.

image.png.61e06651ca296f17fcbe1da56655264b.png

I've been trying to book an appointment for residence confurmation to open a bank account. Started looking on Sunday. Only appointment is on April 12 at 8.20 am, nothing before or for weeks afterwards. How is this possible?  Wait over 2 months to get a stamp and a signature. 

At other embassies you can just walk in and wait your turn. May be an hour wait but so what.

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

I would challenge you on your statement. I did work behind the scenes in my younger days. We did provide service. Most embassies still do way more without prior appointment than Brit. embassy does. E.g. life certificate.

Civil service forgets that their income comes from the taxpayer, the ppl who are a nuisance to deal with in civil service eyes.

Challenge accepted:-

a) Life Certs can be signed by 'Uncle Tom Cobbley an' all' rendering a trip to bkk unnecessary.

b  ) They (Staff) are taxpayers in their own right therefore by your reckoning are self employed.

c) The 500 plus queues from 6am that existed when passports, visas etc were all under one roof thankfully no longer exist and are no longer attractive to the sort that are constantly on the lookout for easy targets.

How did I do? ????

Archived