BANGKOK 23 July 2019 18:47
fforest1

Boy this Thai Visa help section use to be a lively place a few years ago..

36 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Does what you choose to see make a difference?

Section 35 of the Immigration Act is the Section which gives the high-up IO the 'flexibility' to waive the general conditions for extension. 

Per the Immigration Act: Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom under Section 35, per person, each time 2,000 baht

Also this: Section 63. Whoever leads or brings an alien into the Kingdom or does in any way supporting or assisting or facilitating an alien in making an entry into the Kingdom in violation to this Act, shall be punished by imprisonment not exceeding ten years and a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand baht.

That 'flexibility' to charge more than 2000 baht for an agent initiated extension could become very costly for the agent and maybe the IO guy himself.

That language would seem to apply only to entry-points, not "extensions" of those already "in the Kingdom" (could be a translation issue, though).   But I am sure there is a law that applies to the activity in question.

I doubt anyone is appointed to a position of power who is not on-board with the various unofficial distributed-revenue-streams.  But, an IO acting on their own and not sharing revenue through "proper channels" would certainly be (and have been) hung out to dry - to set an example.

Unless the process requires making a hard-copy demonstrating seasoning, there is not even a way to tell the real from fake applications, absent bank-audits related to all applications.

Edited by JackThompson

29 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I doubt anyone is appointed to a position of power who is not on-board with the various unofficial distributed-revenue-streams.

I don't care what you doubt. That is the law. Maybe nothing will ever happen to those who violate it but I get tired of you and others referring to the "illegal income stream" with the same gravitas as an overdue book at the library. It is all the status quo until it isn't. All it takes maybe is one person to be snubbed or dissed somewhere along the daisy-chain for the thing to unravel.

And someone whose extension of stay has been obtained in contravene to the regs has entered the Kingdom illegally.

Edited by JLCrab