BANGKOK 23 February 2019 10:20
Lovelypaiday

rejected entry and sent back home.

2 hours ago, Toadie said:

Firstly, I'm going to guess you're not caucasian! It shouldn't matter but can and does.

I have been Thailand 6 years on back to back TV. Visa runs with passport full of overstays. As long as I have funds and a reason (wife died and I'm still close with family (true)) they haven't thought twice or queried me over it.

If you have funds can explain how you support yourself (good money contracting), wife, if GF upgrade to fiancee still arranging with families when best timing, shouldn't be a problem.

It is at officers discretion regardless of funds or Visa hence I guessing not caucasian. False marriages reportedly a problem recently in media.

Just renew your passport. Passports are only linked in your home country not here. Renewing a passport in Thailand it's the visas that are linked not passports. New passport in home country = not linked to anything in other countries

Name, even full name is not a unique identifier. I know 4 of me in same company! Photo taken by them is just a bit of a backstop for them. Facial recognition? Uhmm how many people travelling daily? Globally?

New passport, TV in home country. On the very off chance you'll run into same IO and they remember you, different airport. Few photos of GF and msg on phone to show quickly.

Travelling extensively throughout Asia without a clear reason may have cause suspicions.  But if your genuine are shouldn't be a problem. I have always found IO pretty straight forward and given the numbers coming through their not sending plane full back.

Genuine the key word here

Facial recognition is becoming increasingly very fast and accurate, so don't count on them not matching you with an alias, however many times you may have changed your personal details and passport. 

There was a recent case of a fugitive in China who was spotted by facial recognition from among tens of thousands of people attending a sporting event. Imagine his surprise when the police walked up to him and took him away. Pretty soon, the cops will be using it to spot anyone they don't like walking down the street. 

At least the OP does have the cash for an elite visa, giving him worry free access, if his next attempt is unsuccessful. 

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I understand you want to invest in your education/career, I don't understand that you are only working 3-4 months a year and have a holiday the rest of the year to accomplish this.

And I doubt the IO understood either.

• Like 1

If you are older than 50 yrs old you may be able to get a retirement visa...

Just to add that Richard's comment might suggest to some that the Elite visa is only available for those under 50 years old.  There are no age restrictions (other than a minimum age of 18 years old). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The IO who rejected you didn't want to see your money, because it would be more evidence that the illegality he was about to carry-out was based on a lie.  He may also dislike you having a relationship with a Thai.  You are "sticking around" - and that clique want people like us to pay them off with tribute via agents (or via the elite visa) or go away.

Agents. I have looked high and low for these so called agents through whom I can pay the tribute these ppl want. I don't believe they exist. Spending an absurd amount of my time always having to worry about the next visa. Go to sleep upset. Wake up upset. Repeat. Might as well just go home and be there. I don't need a visa to be at home.

• Like 1

I am surprised that the airline (China Southern, perhaps??) accepted to carry you back at their expense all the way to the UK. This is not entirely in line with previous denials of entry.

However, if you didn't have an air ticket out within 30 days, then Thai Immigration could say the airline failed in its check-in diligence. I suppose that could be a reason.

1 hour ago, Lovelypaiday said:

Yes I can see your point, but I actually never said My current work or taking holiday was in order to accomplish investing in my education/career, I said I would prefer to keep my savings for this purpose.

Do not offer to show the money unless asked by the IO. 

Saying look I have the money, can be misconstrued as offering a bribe 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

Apply by post for the METV.

Send by special delivery.

Takes about 4 days to come back.

hence I didn’t make the difficult trip to the London embassy from my rural English location to obtain a tourist visa.

couldn't you apply by post? it's quick and easy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toadie said:

Just renew your passport. Passports are only linked in your home country not here. Renewing a passport in Thailand it's the visas that are linked not passports. New passport in home country = not linked to anything in other countries

Incorrect. Personal experience at Suvarnabhumi was a positive indication that passport information and the types of entry used in each passport is linked in their databases and extends back ~10 years or more. Whether the IO checks this and thoroughly vets the 'tourist' standing in front of him comes under the rules of 'pot luck'.

7 hours ago, Toadie said:

Name, even full name is not a unique identifier. I know 4 of me in same company! Photo taken by them is just a bit of a backstop for them. Facial recognition? Uhmm how many people travelling daily? Globally?

Incorrect assumption. There are 4 unique, personal identifiers that come top of the biometrics pile, name, nationality, date of birth, place of birth... that's before they look at the picture. That's why some who are exceedingly desperate to get allowed back in Thailand resort to such things as changing their names by deed poll before getting the new passport. You also may be able to claim dual nationality and get another nations passport. You could also get plastic surgery but you can't ever change your age and where you were born unless you commit a major fraud.

• Like 1

A time stamped selfi picture having cash in hand, then a time stamped selfi picture with cash in hand and the passport stamp of refusal might have done something. If not to just P off them more. Too late now. BTW. What is your skin color?

That's very interesting to know 007, thanks for posting. I would imagine the system software can also match dual passport holders, so not much point switching between the 2. For example, if you travel to Israel on one passport then to an Arab country on a different passport...the Arab immigration would know...or would it? are the databases linked by country?