rejected entry and sent back home.

23 hours ago, Toadie said:

If you're really worried about facial recognition just get someone punch you in the head few times. Would not recommend it though.

There are huge limitations to facial recognition and global databases tracking everyone's movements. Its call personal freedom and liberty which some countries take very, very seriously.

Then if it did exist. I'd clean up parking / speeding tickets globally, possibly library books. Then move on to uni debt, taxation. Money laundering, fried their the ones running the system? Their the ones controlling the system.

Bloke visiting his GF? She'd have to be mine and really, really good. Nah not happening.

Genuine reason, genuine ability to support yourself. No problems. Mistakes do happen until we have this God system.

You millenials expect everything for free, under 30 and holidaying for 8 months of the year. 

I expect it was your dreadlocks that were the deciding factor. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2019 at 11:10 PM, FritsSikkink said:

If you have money get an elite visa.

As above.

You may be able to get back in with a visa - luck of the draw -   but  IMO will proabbly run into problems again sooner or later.

The elite visa is intended to cover the situation of living/virtually living in Thailand when not yet 50 years of age and not married to a Thai or working in Thailand. (If you are 50 or over then just get extension of stay based on retirement - or a multi entry O-A visa.).

A new passport will not help. They will still find your history in the computer  via name, nationality and date of birth.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, JackThompson said:

Some are advertised on this site.  I just did a web search and the first agent-hit says, "Providing the finances to support your visa application."  The guy (farang) looks like a used-car salesman - a perfect fit for dealing with some immigration offices.

He's a nice guy, and I'm not sure what a used-car salesman looks like. Do you mean he looks dishonest?

19 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Perhaps, but it would solve the OP's problem and give him the peace of mind to see his girlfriend, whenever he pleases, having flown half way around the world. 

Think of it as an optional residence tax, for which one gets the benefit of a hassle free long term stay.

I still think it is a money making scheme by Thai immigration aimed at the rich, who can afford to throw money away.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I still think it is a money making scheme by Thai immigration aimed at the rich, who can afford to throw money away.

Of course it is, but they hold all the cards.

Other countries also have schemes to attract people with money, and to exclude the less well off or limit the amount of time they can stay. I'm not saying I agree with it, just that it happens in lots of places. 

At least the OP does have this option - 5 years of hassle free visits to spend as much time with his girlfriend as he wants.

i would get a new TR visa or elite.

no more problems. You want to stay 30 days. Just get a TR visa it should be 1000 baht.

I would go to Laos and enter thailand using friendship bridge. Probably no problems

I also think if you get a TR visa... still no problem. But just in case dont fly if you want to feel.. more comfortable and sure

4 hours ago, 007 RED said:

In the case of the OP, he posted that he had received a ‘blue stamp’ in his passport which he thinks states “lack of income unable to support himself”.  Therefore, possibly refused under Section 12(2) of the Immigration Act. This being the case, the airline would not be financially responsible for returning him.

Under the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) rules (Chapter 5 of Annex 9) the airline is only responsible for funding the repatriation flight of an inadmissible person if it can be shown that the airline did not carry out due diligence in accepting the passenger for transport.  For example:

1)   Accepting the person for travel after having received a ‘Do Not Board’ warning code via the Advance Passenger Information System (APIS).

2)   The person’s travel documents (passport, visa) have expired or are obviously counterfeit, forged, altered or the person is presenting someone else’s travel document(s).

In such cases the airline is also responsible for the care and welfare of the passenger whilst awaiting transportation and they may be liable to a substantial fine imposed by the country rejecting entry of the passenger.

In the case where the airline is responsible for repatriation of a passenger deemed to be inadmissible, the airline shall return the passenger promptly to the point where they commenced the use of the airline’s aircraft.  The airline shall not return the person to a country that has already refused entry to that person.

In the case where the airline is responsible for repatriation of a passenger deemed to be inadmissible, the airline may recover their transportation and ancillary costs from the passenger.

The airline is not responsible for any costs or fines relating to the return of a person who has been deemed inadmissible when the problem is beyond the reasonable expertise of the airline or beyond the control of the airline operator, for example: Insufficient funds, or considered to be working without permission.

There are at least four separate issues here

1. Responsibility for removing an inadmissible person from the country. This is always the airline, even when the airline had exercised due diligence, and guiltless.
  2. Whether the inadmissible person must pay for their removal. The rules are quite clear that removal of inadmissible persons must take place whether they can pay or not. Chapter 5 does have this:

5.10 When a person is found inadmissible and is returned to the aircraft operator for transport away from the territory of the State, the aircraft operator shall not be precluded from recovering from such person any transportation costs involved in his removal.

This does not imply that the airline can evade responsibility if the inadmissible person cannot pay. It just indicates that the airline can try to recover the costs after the event. Further, whether recovery of transportation costs will be (legally) possible depends on the laws in the jurisdiction where such recovery attempts take place.

3. Who must pay the costs of "custody and care" of an inadmissible person prior to removal. This is clearly defined:

5.9 The aircraft operator shall be responsible for the cost of custody and care of an improperly documented person from the moment that person is found inadmissible and returned to the aircraft operator for removal from the State.

5.9.1 The State shall be responsible for the cost of custody and care of all other categories of inadmissible persons, including persons not admitted due to document problems beyond the expertise of the aircraft operator or for reasons other than improper documents, from the moment these persons are found inadmissible until they are returned to the aircraft operator for removal from the State.

What this implies is that, in most cases, the Thai authorities are responsible for your stay in the detention room. They can try to make you pay for this. Although they will not allow you access to an ATM machine before you are denied entry, you can be confident that it will be allowed in order to pay the Thai authorities for your board and lodging prior to removal.

4. Whether the airline is subject to fines for bringing an inadmissible person to the country. Usually, this occurs only if the airline has shown a lack of due diligence:

5.14 Contracting States shall not fine aircraft operators in the event that arriving and in-transit persons are found to be improperly documented where aircraft operators can demonstrate that they have taken adequate precautions to ensure that these persons had complied with the documentary requirements for entry into the receiving State.

I do not know where you found the emphasised text in the last paragraph of your post. It is inaccurate. I am not surprised that you (someone who would be better informed than most on INADS and deportees) would be confused as to the rules. In some cases, the rules impose an unfair burden on the airline involved, but those are the rules.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:56 PM, JackThompson said:

The IO who rejected you didn't want to see your money, because it would be more evidence that the illegality he was about to carry-out was based on a lie. 

Or, even more likely, when the OP started figuratively waving around "thousands of pounds" the IO thought that a bribe was being attempted, hence his claim that it was illegal!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:56 PM, JackThompson said:

The IO who rejected you...may also dislike you having a relationship with a Thai.  You are "sticking around" - and that clique want people like us to pay them off with tribute via agents (or via the elite visa) or go away.

Absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He didn't say he has a girlfriend. He said he has a partner. There could be a difference. Not that it makes any difference to the subject at hand. Just interesting that people assume.

Not much of an assumption. When people talk about wanting to spend time with their partner, they normally talk about a personal relationship rather than a business partner or the like.

Sophon

18 minutes ago, silver sea said:
   On 1/20/2019 at 2:21 AM,  Toadie said: 

False marriages reportedly a problem recently in media.

Just renew your passport. Passports are only linked in your home country not here.

I have always found IO pretty straight forward and given the numbers coming through their not sending plane full back.

Interesting  conversation ????.

My own experience over the last 6 years or so is that there’s little or no problem with large numbers of tourist visas in your passport.

i was made redundant in 2010 and had to take early retirement. I hadn’t been on a plane for 25 years. I was working 7 days a week with two jobs. I was always too busy to settle down so I never married or had children. I thought I would be in the office until I was 70, I would drop down dead and I would be carried out feet first, never to return. So it was a bit of a shock when I got made redundant in 2010.

I got myself a passport. I had not been in a plane for over 25 years, so it was another bit of a shock when having booked a flight to Koh Samui on an internet site, I was sent only an e-ticket. Where were my cardboard tickets like you get when you buy a seat in a cinema?! 

While I had been living my life all day and sometimes all night in the office, the world had moved on, and travel information was now done on computer. All you needed to do when you checked in at the airport was to hand over your passport; you didn’t need a physical cardboard ticket, like in the old days. I was wide eyed with amazement at all these changes.

i mention that to show that in 2012, when I booked my first flight, I was having to start again as a complete beginner as a traveller. I am not very good with computers or with playing ‘fast and loose’ with rules and regulations. I am very shy and reserved and do not smoke or drink, and I am ‘home alone’ and usually in bed by 11:00 pm. Indeed, on my first trip to Thailand, I didn’t realise at first that the 7-11s were open 24 hours. 

My first trip to Thailand was to Koh Samui. I had never heard of Samui, but that was where I had to go. I had seen an ad on the internet and was going for a spiritual experience. I had never heard of Pattaya either, and so was unaware of what went on there.

I liked my three weeks on Samui. People were very nice to me and so I decided to visit Samui again later that same year, and then again and again. I kept returning and enjoyed doing the tourist thing.

I still own a small flat in the UK, which I do not rent out. It is locked securely while I am away, and no one else has access to it. I still pay income tax and local city and utility taxes. As far as I am concerned the UK is my place of residence and when I travel, I am at all times a tourist.

On one occasion, about 3 years ago, I was on overstay by one day. I was catching a flight at 6 am so my overstay was only 6 hours, but I still had to pay a fine of 500 baht and I got an overstay stamp in my passport.

Two years ago, at BKK Airport, as I was flying out, the IO looked through my passport and passed me over to another IO. He took me to a private desk which had a computer. I pulled out my iPad and started checking my emails, although I kept a close watch on him.

He just seemed to be ‘going through the motions’ of checking the computer. He then handed me back my passport, gave me a smile and I was on my way again. There was no warning about too many visas or a stamp in my passport to that effect.

I always carry 20,000 baht with me in cash, and I always keep an eye on the posts on ThaiVisa for new information.

I dress like a tourist in T shirts and shorts and casual open shoes. My hair is always fairly short and clean. I do not have a beard or moustache, and no tattoos. I always have a wash and a shave, clean my teeth, and use my deodorant, a couple of hours before the plane lands, so that I look fairly clean and smart. I stay calm and polite without being obsequious. 

My passport was issued in September 2011 and is valid for 10 years. However, last year, the Royal Thai Embassy in London expressed concern because there weren’t many free pages left and I was advised to get a new passport, which I have done.

Anyway, this is my visa history:

1. Visa exempt BKK Airport

5th December 2012 - 26th January 2013 = 22 days

2. Single entry (Hull Consulate postal) ; BKK Airport

20th August 2013 - 16th November 2013 = 58 days

3. Triple entry (Hull postal); BKK Airport

31st January 2013 - 18th October 2013 = 261 days

4. Triple entry (Hull postal); BKK Airport

21st November 2013 - 1st August 2014 = 253 days

5. Triple entry (London in person); BKK Airport

1st October 2014 - 18th June 2015 = 261 days

6. Triple entry (London in person); BKK Airport

17th September 2015 - 9th May 2016 = 236 days

7. Single entry (Vientiane in person) land border crossing

11th May 2016 - 28th July 2016 = 79 days

8. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

14th September 2016 - 7th December 2016 = 85 days

9. Single entry (Kota Bharu visa run co) land border crossing

8th December 2016 - 5th March 2017 = 88 days

10. Single entry (Kota Bharu visa run co) land border crossing

6th March 2017 - 2nd May 2017 = 58 days

11. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

31st May 2017 - 26th July 2017 = 57 days

12. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

5th September 2017 - 1st November 2017 = 58 days

13. Single entry (Kota Bharu visa run co.) land border crossing

2nd November 2017 - 29th January 2018 = 89 days

14. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

21st February 2018 - 6th May 2018 = 75 days

New Passport: 

15. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

24th May 2018 - 10th August 2018 = 79 days

16. Non O-A long stay (London in person) BKK Airport

1st September 2018 - current date.

Since my first day in Thailand 5th December 2012 until my last day in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, 10th August 2018, there have been 2068 days. Of those days, I have spent 1458 of them in Thailand, which is just over 70% of the total.

Finally, you will note I now have a long stay Non O-A. Things, for various reasons, things didn’t work out on Samui. I am currently living in Hua Hin.

I hope my story is of interest to others and gives hope and reassures others. As I say, I have never had much of a problem. The IOs are always polite and helpful. Same same with the staff at the Embassies and Consulates. 

Are you that seriously bored to think expats here would be remotely interested in your essay. 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, silver sea said:

False marriages reportedly a problem recently in media.

Just renew your passport. Passports are only linked in your home country not here.

I have always found IO pretty straight forward and given the numbers coming through their not sending plane full back.

Interesting  conversation ????.

My own experience over the last 6 years or so is that there’s little or no problem with large numbers of tourist visas in your passport.

i was made redundant in 2010 and had to take early retirement. I hadn’t been on a plane for 25 years. I was working 7 days a week with two jobs. I was always too busy to settle down so I never married or had children. I thought I would be in the office until I was 70, I would drop down dead and I would be carried out feet first, never to return. So it was a bit of a shock when I got made redundant in 2010.

I got myself a passport. I had not been in a plane for over 25 years, so it was another bit of a shock when having booked a flight to Koh Samui on an internet site, I was sent only an e-ticket. Where were my cardboard tickets like you get when you buy a seat in a cinema?! 

While I had been living my life all day and sometimes all night in the office, the world had moved on, and travel information was now done on computer. All you needed to do when you checked in at the airport was to hand over your passport; you didn’t need a physical cardboard ticket, like in the old days. I was wide eyed with amazement at all these changes.

i mention that to show that in 2012, when I booked my first flight, I was having to start again as a complete beginner as a traveller. I am not very good with computers or with playing ‘fast and loose’ with rules and regulations. I am very shy and reserved and do not smoke or drink, and I am ‘home alone’ and usually in bed by 11:00 pm. Indeed, on my first trip to Thailand, I didn’t realise at first that the 7-11s were open 24 hours. 

My first trip to Thailand was to Koh Samui. I had never heard of Samui, but that was where I had to go. I had seen an ad on the internet and was going for a spiritual experience. I had never heard of Pattaya either, and so was unaware of what went on there.

I liked my three weeks on Samui. People were very nice to me and so I decided to visit Samui again later that same year, and then again and again. I kept returning and enjoyed doing the tourist thing.

I still own a small flat in the UK, which I do not rent out. It is locked securely while I am away, and no one else has access to it. I still pay income tax and local city and utility taxes. As far as I am concerned the UK is my place of residence and when I travel, I am at all times a tourist.

On one occasion, about 3 years ago, I was on overstay by one day. I was catching a flight at 6 am so my overstay was only 6 hours, but I still had to pay a fine of 500 baht and I got an overstay stamp in my passport.

Two years ago, at BKK Airport, as I was flying out, the IO looked through my passport and passed me over to another IO. He took me to a private desk which had a computer. I pulled out my iPad and started checking my emails, although I kept a close watch on him.

He just seemed to be ‘going through the motions’ of checking the computer. He then handed me back my passport, gave me a smile and I was on my way again. There was no warning about too many visas or a stamp in my passport to that effect.

I always carry 20,000 baht with me in cash, and I always keep an eye on the posts on ThaiVisa for new information.

I dress like a tourist in T shirts and shorts and casual open shoes. My hair is always fairly short and clean. I do not have a beard or moustache, and no tattoos. I always have a wash and a shave, clean my teeth, and use my deodorant, a couple of hours before the plane lands, so that I look fairly clean and smart. I stay calm and polite without being obsequious. 

My passport was issued in September 2011 and is valid for 10 years. However, last year, the Royal Thai Embassy in London expressed concern because there weren’t many free pages left and I was advised to get a new passport, which I have done.

Anyway, this is my visa history:

1. Visa exempt BKK Airport

5th December 2012 - 26th January 2013 = 22 days

2. Single entry (Hull Consulate postal) ; BKK Airport

20th August 2013 - 16th November 2013 = 58 days

3. Triple entry (Hull postal); BKK Airport

31st January 2013 - 18th October 2013 = 261 days

4. Triple entry (Hull postal); BKK Airport

21st November 2013 - 1st August 2014 = 253 days

5. Triple entry (London in person); BKK Airport

1st October 2014 - 18th June 2015 = 261 days

6. Triple entry (London in person); BKK Airport

17th September 2015 - 9th May 2016 = 236 days

7. Single entry (Vientiane in person) land border crossing

11th May 2016 - 28th July 2016 = 79 days

8. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

14th September 2016 - 7th December 2016 = 85 days

9. Single entry (Kota Bharu visa run co) land border crossing

8th December 2016 - 5th March 2017 = 88 days

10. Single entry (Kota Bharu visa run co) land border crossing

6th March 2017 - 2nd May 2017 = 58 days

11. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

31st May 2017 - 26th July 2017 = 57 days

12. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

5th September 2017 - 1st November 2017 = 58 days

13. Single entry (Kota Bharu visa run co.) land border crossing

2nd November 2017 - 29th January 2018 = 89 days

14. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

21st February 2018 - 6th May 2018 = 75 days

New Passport: 

15. Single entry (London in person) BKK Airport

24th May 2018 - 10th August 2018 = 79 days

Since my first day in Thailand 5th December 2012 until my last day in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, 10th August 2018, there have been 2068 days. Of those days, I have spent 1458 of them in Thailand, which is just over 70% of the total.

Finally, you will note I now have a long stay Non O-A. Things, for various reasons, things didn’t work out on Samui. I am currently living in Hua Hin.

I hope my story is of interest to others and gives hope and reassures others. As I say, I have never had much of a problem. The IOs are always polite and helpful. Same same with the staff at the Embassies and Consulates. 

Maybe a bit too much info. I doubt if not having tatooes or a moustache, or not smoking or drinking has any relevance to being allowed entry.

• Haha 1

I checked my emails today and have an email from expedia, its basically saying my return flight from Bangkok to china has been cancelled by the airline, so that’s what happened there. I’m certainly not annoyed, it seems relatively fair. Strangely the second part of the flight that was given to me to get home from the Chinese immigration has not so far been cancelled, I’m not sure if it will come later or not.

just to clear things up, my partner equals my girlfriend. 

Regards my passport history versus others reports, I wasn’t always coming in with tourist visa’s, i had a fair few stamps that I see are now called visa exempt stamps, that i had extended by 30 days, by doing this i guess I actually payed almost double the price for the time I stayed vs the tourist visa but it’s obviously not the way that IO’s appreciate, in that sense its my fault for not being more on it and up to date with the current situation. 

In answer to the China southern question - its not the best airline I’ve flown with, I flew economy, and it seemed to be a little more cramped than I remember with some other airlines, the screens for movies where a bit old, I got 20kg free baggage, there was free drinks and food was ok, but iv definitely had much better. I wouldn’t reccomend it over any other airline but if there’s a great deal, it gets the job done. 

The Elite visa sounds great, but I’m far from elite and spending the money on that would be enough of a dent in my savings that it would just mean I have less to spend at the local coffee shop and restaurants and I’d much prefer my money to be going in from the bottom up than the top down. My current plan is to get an METV from the embassy in London, I think I will fly to Malaysia as reccomended by some previous posters, meet my girlfriend there, spend a few stress free days together somewhere nice and then enter by land into southern Thailand, we’ve been together for 4 years now so sooner or later it might be time to think about getting married. 

The only question I have now is, if the friendship bridge truly is the friendliest point to enter, is it worth me trying to get to Lao rather than crossing from Malaysia? I think most flights from London will go through Bangkok so I’d probably have to fly from Malaysia or Vietnam to Vientiane and then cross, its a little more hassle but I’m willing to do it if it makes my chances of less hassle significantly better. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

Not much of an assumption. When people talk about wanting to spend time with their partner, they normally talk about a personal relationship rather than a business partner or the like.

Sophon

You miss my point. Men can have male partners/boyfriends.

2 hours ago, silver sea said:

I am glad it worked out OK in your case.  But, sometimes, even those with less than 6 mo in the country get a much more negative experience:

As this report demonstrates (and we don't hear the other hundreds of similar stories not posted here) even a older, 5-mo/yr Snowbirds from wealthy European countries are being targeted for harassment.  It is not because they "work illegally" or "cannot afford their stay" (the biggest lie they use) - or even "live here too much" (which is not a legal reason for denial) - but solely because they are using Tourist Visas, which don't feed a corrupt-money pipeline to immigration.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Or, even more likely, when the OP started figuratively waving around "thousands of pounds" the IO thought that a bribe was being attempted, hence his claim that it was illegal!

Exactly what I thought. 

On 1/19/2019 at 11:10 PM, FritsSikkink said:

If you have money get an elite visa.

???? I’m honestly amazed anyone buys that. You still have reporting, you still can’t work, so why throw that money away when an agent can take care of your visa for much less?

It doesn’t make financial sense unless you simply have money to burn.

1 hour ago, Lovelypaiday said:

Regards my passport history versus others reports, I wasn’t always coming in with tourist visa’s, i had a fair few stamps that I see are now called visa exempt stamps, that i had extended by 30 days, by doing this i guess I actually payed almost double the price for the time I stayed vs the tourist visa but it’s obviously not the way that IO’s appreciate, in that sense its my fault for not being more on it and up to date with the current situation. 

If you had posted your history here, most would have said that coming from your home-country, after a break out-of-country - and given you do not stay here full-time - that your entry would have been OK.  By the odds, they are correct - but I don't think a "gamble" is appropriate after a 16-hour trip. 

I would have been one of the only ones advising to avoid the airports, and probably called paranoid for doing so.  That's OK - I am paranoid of what a govt-outposts operating similarly to a "mob-boss system" - well-documented in ignoring laws, harassing innocent and honest people, and riddled with corruption - is prone to do.

They could have given you the option to fly onward to a nearby, friendly country, but they knew that this would allow you to enter Thailand via a law-abiding entry point.  Plus, I think they enjoy knowing the hell they can put "farangs" through, by abusing their power and wiping their feet on their country's laws.

I’m far from elite and spending the money on that would be enough of a dent in my savings that it would just mean I have less to spend at the local coffee shop and restaurants and I’d much prefer my money to be going in from the bottom up than the top down

Amen.  Why reward the very people who just put you through that nightmare with a payoff, when you can do so much more good supporting honest, market-based businesses, and their Thai employees, instead?

My current plan is to get an METV from the embassy in London, I think I will fly to Malaysia as recommended by some previous posters, meet my girlfriend there, spend a few stress free days together somewhere nice and then enter by land into southern Thailand, we’ve been together for 4 years now so sooner or later it might be time to think about getting married. 

That should be fine.  I recall only one rejected-entry there for a person with a Valid Tourist Visa plus 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks - and he was rejected for having multiple overstays.  You will be fine.

The only question I have now is, if the friendship bridge truly is the friendliest point to enter, is it worth me trying to get to Lao rather than crossing from Malaysia? I think most flights from London will go through Bangkok so I’d probably have to fly from Malaysia or Vietnam to Vientiane and then cross, its a little more hassle but I’m willing to do it if it makes my chances of less hassle significantly better. 

With a new METV, I would not bother going all the way to Vientiane.  The only land-border entry-point which would be a problem is Poipet/Aranyaprathet.

And, even if you were rejected-entry - which is very unlikely - you could walk back to the Malaysian border-post, cancel your exit stamp, then try another entry-point.  It will not be like a rejection by-air, where they hold you in detention, then punitively fly you back 1/2 way around the world - no doubt laughing about it in the break-room, later.