BANGKOK 16 February 2019 06:00
Scott

SURVEY: What age is too old to drive?

SURVEY: What age is too old to drive?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A recent thread on Prince Philip's involvement in a traffic accident, highlights the possible danger of aging drivers.   What restrictions should be put on elderly drivers?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

I selected 70 years old for an annual (or bi-annual) re-assessment of driving capacities, but actually would select 65. It is a scientific fact that reactions, etc slow as one ages, but as far as I know, there is no uniform age where things have degraded to the point where we would all agree, therefore an age to begin checking and/or double-checking capabilities is going to be arbitrary. I would choose the age of retirement (65) as my arbitrary number.

However, it ain't gonna happen, and it ain't gonna happen for one reason and one reason only;

Old people vote.

End of story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I selected 80 too. My Mom putters around to the Docs at 85.

However, the problem with car accidents is young drivers, not old. I think annual driving certifications for the gray/no hairs is fine at a certain age. I also think that driving rules 16/17-21 should be tightened to prohibit driving at night except under limited circumstances, loss of driving privilegesges for any moving violations, etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm closing in on 70 so that's out. Chances are I don't make 90 so took that. As for the Greek someone, maybe Liz or Chuck, need to set him down and read him the riot act. The old goat ordered up another new LR and was back behind the wheel, no seat belt, over the weekend. Reports are that he has been driving on public roads without his security detail for years. Lucky for him the IRA have been tamed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I choose 70.   I know as I've gotten older, my reaction time has decreased and I also have problems with eye sight, especially at night.   A lot of places only have a vision exam for the assessment.   

I have a car with a lot of collision avoidance equipment, which is really helpful.   If I am distracted by anything, the car will slow down/stop for anything in front of me.   Also the rear-view screen and alarms make it easier to back out of places.   They do have limitations, but are a great help.   

let your pacemaker be your guide..

Edited by mok199