SURVEY: What age is too old to drive?

Scott

SURVEY: What age is too old to drive?  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A recent thread on Prince Philip's involvement in a traffic accident, highlights the possible danger of aging drivers.   What restrictions should be put on elderly drivers?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I selected 70 years old for an annual (or bi-annual) re-assessment of driving capacities, but actually would select 65. It is a scientific fact that reactions, etc slow as one ages, but as far as I know, there is no uniform age where things have degraded to the point where we would all agree, therefore an age to begin checking and/or double-checking capabilities is going to be arbitrary. I would choose the age of retirement (65) as my arbitrary number.

However, it ain't gonna happen, and it ain't gonna happen for one reason and one reason only;

Old people vote.

End of story.

I selected 80 too. My Mom putters around to the Docs at 85.

However, the problem with car accidents is young drivers, not old. I think annual driving certifications for the gray/no hairs is fine at a certain age. I also think that driving rules 16/17-21 should be tightened to prohibit driving at night except under limited circumstances, loss of driving privilegesges for any moving violations, etc.

I'm closing in on 70 so that's out. Chances are I don't make 90 so took that. As for the Greek someone, maybe Liz or Chuck, need to set him down and read him the riot act. The old goat ordered up another new LR and was back behind the wheel, no seat belt, over the weekend. Reports are that he has been driving on public roads without his security detail for years. Lucky for him the IRA have been tamed.

I choose 70.   I know as I've gotten older, my reaction time has decreased and I also have problems with eye sight, especially at night.   A lot of places only have a vision exam for the assessment.   

I have a car with a lot of collision avoidance equipment, which is really helpful.   If I am distracted by anything, the car will slow down/stop for anything in front of me.   Also the rear-view screen and alarms make it easier to back out of places.   They do have limitations, but are a great help.   

Speaking for me personally as I have no older family members. I am mid 60s and I see certain of my abilities beginning to degrade. One in particular is eyesight. We'd all like to think we are invincible and nothing will stop us but something will stop us at some point...be it eyes, heart, hearing, another car, something will stop us. Hopefully, it will be another family member with the guts to step up and say, NO, your driving is not what it should be and you should quit. I'd like to think I am smart enough to give it up on my own but we can be our own worst enemies. 

i-want-to-die-peacefully-in-my-sleep-like-my-26330613.png

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

I saw the report on BBC this morning, Phillip driving alone again 2 days after the accident ...... NOT WEARING A SEAT BELT.

Just shows what an arrogant man he is... laws are for peasants not me, disgusting.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who likes being told what to do. 

They should stop him driving before he kills someone.

Every single time you read a story of someone crashing into a place of business or into a house it seems to be a driver over 70 and it happens a lot.  Anyone choosing “90 or over” on this survey should automatically have their drivers license revoked!  I hope Thai authorities are watching this thread closely today and follow through. ????

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

age is not necessarily the issue, it's the ability/competence that is more relevant.

8 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Age is not really a good measure, it is about the individual persons mental and physical ability.

I have been driving now since 1971. My reflexes are still good. I dont drive at night if I can avoid it. During the day, I am a far better driver than any non professional under the age of 35. It could be because I am not in a hurry, dont text and drive, dont need to keep changing the music, nor need to drive with my ***k.

6 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Age is not really a good measure, it is about the individual persons mental and physical ability.

Of course it is. I'm 76 and have no trouble driving. However, when (or if) I reach the age of Prince Phillip, the situation will certainly change. When I notice an increase in mistakes when I drive, I will call it quits. Driving at the age of 97 seems ridiculous to me.

If Prince Philip has been photographed driving without a seat belt why have the police not prosecuted him yet. If it was one of us serfs they are quick to action.

Regarding age, each individual has a different set of circumstances, but at his age he cannot have the reflexes needed to navigate today's traffic conditions safely. 

I am 68 , I  vote 80 but I agree that after let say 65 we need a medical exam

as for me, I am very confident of my reflex , I drive only scooter , not very fast but if at 75 I feel unsure , I "ll  stop driving 

after 90, it should be forbidden, too dangerous 

2 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I am 68 , I  vote 80 but I agree that after let say 65 we need a medical exam

as for me, I am very confident of my reflex , I drive only scooter , not very fast but if at 75 I feel unsure , I "ll  stop driving 

after 90, it should be forbidden, too dangerous 

I dislike rules like that.. to forbid people they should just be tested if they fail, then its the end. But until they fail the test its ok for them to drive.

Lets say this applies for civilized countries with real checks.. not Thailand because you bribe your way out of most things here.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I have been driving now since 1971. My reflexes are still good. I dont drive at night if I can avoid it. During the day, I am a far better driver than any non professional under the age of 35. It could be because I am not in a hurry, dont text and drive, dont need to keep changing the music, nor need to drive with my ***k.

Then any under 35?  Give us break Mr Perfect in his own mind/bubble. That statement hinges on senility! Why the heck can you NOT drive at night? 

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

Then any under 35?  Give us break Mr Perfect in his own mind/bubble. That statement hinges on senility! Why the heck can you NOT drive at night? 

Thats right young fellow. Its not just reflexes, its maturity and experience. Look at the anger in your response, bet you get a little irritated when a geezer is doing EXACTLY the speed limit? 

I can surely guarantee that I have more miles on the road than you do or anyone under the age of 35. I can surely guarantee that I have driven in more places than you have or anyone else under the age of 35. I can surely guarantee that I have driven many more types and models of vehicle than you have or anyone else under the age of 35.

But no mind, a 65 clean record driver pays less for insurance than one who is 35 or under. Is that based on senility? Does that make you angry? 

I can drive at night. However, I chose not to because my night vision is not the best, so the mature thing to do is know your limitations.....

Archived