What island is closest to the mainland?

mrblonde

Me and my partner are not the greatest fans of the sea or boats, but feel we are missing out by not seeing some of the smaller, quieter islands. We’d like to try a short boat trip to an island though, what island is closest to the mainland please, that we’d have to get a boat to? 

We usually base base ourselves in Pattaya but happy to travel. I’ve done koh samet before but to be honest that was a bit too far (from what I can remember) 

15 hours ago, Mooner said:

Samet has a new ferry. 150 baht. 10 mins

10 minutes? I visited there about 12 years ago and went on a rickety old wooden boat and it felt like it took forever (was probably only 30 or 45 minutes).  It scared me rigid, hence wanting an island as close to mainland as possible

is the 10 minute transfer a speedboat? 

Koh larn is 30 minutes by ferry from Pattaya but make sure to get to the side that faces Pattaya and rent a motorbike and some nice quite clean little beaches to explore 

Do NOT! get the ferry to the far side that does Chinese day trips! 

Thanks all for the island advice, and for the grammar lessons too, can't belive I've got 40 years through my life without being pulled up before......

Will take a look at Koh Chang, but all boat journeys look 4-5 Km at least, so think we will struggle even with that

EDIT: What about Koh Klet Kaeo, Tao Mo Island, Ko Raet or Samae San Island? (spellings taken from Google maps, so may not be correct)  I zoomed in to the coastline on Google maps and scanned around, they all look very close, maybe 500m maximum from the mainland?  Or are they islands not open to visitors?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:08 AM, mrblonde said:

10 minutes? I visited there about 12 years ago and went on a rickety old wooden boat and it felt like it took forever (was probably only 30 or 45 minutes).  It scared me rigid, hence wanting an island as close to mainland as possible

is the 10 minute transfer a speedboat? 

Try Phuket then. No boats, no ferries, just a helluva lot of tourists.

6 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Since reading up more, Koh Klet Kaeo, is also know as 'Monkey Island' and 'Koh Ped'.  It looks very close, is there much to do there, other than being mobbed my the monkeys?  How long a boat trip is it anyone?

I think it's best described as an atoll with monkeys.

Why not consider Koh Si Chang as I mentioned? I think that would be much nicer.

• 9 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 1:18 AM, KittenKong said:

I think it's best described as an atoll with monkeys.

Why not consider Koh Si Chang as I mentioned? I think that would be much nicer.

Just had a look, Koh Sichang still looks maybe 2km from the mainland... looking for something much closer if possible  (old post revived I know, just re-searching my old posts)

Archived