Rival groups demonstrate in Thailand as election tensions grow

rooster59

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

You simply ignore what has been said, and go onto repeat your own prejudices.No foreigner that I know of tells Thais how to live their lives - to deal with your most absurd claim. Nor do foreigners, even those with real Thai expertise, presume to tell Thais how to solve their problems. If you prefer to live in a state of pig ignorance, that is your prerogative but don't try and elevate your lack of interest/understanding into some kind of virtue. It isn't.

I do agree with you that humility is needed and we should be careful not to preach given developments in our own countries. But Thailand is in a bad way and many Thais struggling for a better political system appreciate foreign support. ( so do the dinosaurs - but that's another story.)

Many foreigners have no comprehension of Thailand's struggle for a better society and the sacrifices they have made. At a more basic level, well-disposed foreigners are greatly encouraged when progress is made in Thailand.

As the great poet, Wordsworth said at the time of the French Revolution which seemed to hold out liberty, equality and fraternity.

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was very heaven!"

We are nowhere near that point in Thailand but my sympathies are with those who haven't given up on their hopes.

The French Revolutions still on looking at You Tube live.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JAG said:

I suppose it depends on whether there is anyone on his team bright enough to "get it", and with the balls to explain it to him!

Only depends on his general knowledge of the West and their history and culture. So i would not hold your breath. Also is it fair to expect him to know this, I am sure we would be lost with references to Thai sayings and historic tales.

But like you said there must be someone who gets it, i wonder if they indeed have the balls to tell him. Personally the guy is really xenophobic so i doubt he has been in contact with Western values much. 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I suppose it depends on whether there is anyone on his team bright enough to "get it", and with the balls to explain it to him!

I doubt it would even make his or the flunkies radar screens. Some foreign caricature being held up won't interest them.

Much too busy on "matters of state" - kerchink!

7 hours ago, jayboy said:

Shall we count the pieces of nonsense in this post?

1. It is not a "fact" Thais are "hitting the streets".

2. A few opposing small bands have made brief demonstrations

3. Whether they care about their government or not, they are irrelevant until (or if) they metamorphose into something more substantial. 

4. Why does he wish (one assumes he means) larger protests didn't need to happen? See 5

5. Larger street protests have historically enabled change in Thailand - not always immediate.

6. If this fellow wants all to be peaceful it would require activists and citizens to stay at home. In any case, see 7

7. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" -   Thomas Jefferson

8. The last line of the post is not only laughable but inane. It's clear that his opinion is fairly puerile but few would suggest he has no right to express it because he isn't Thai. See 9

9. There might be some logic to suggest a foreigner should be circumspect but it requires a higher order of idiocy to suggest he should have no opinion. See 10

10. However, if he really believes foreigners should have 'no opinion', he should ask the owners of TV to close down political discussions on the forum.

History shows that the migration of principles and management techniques have resulted in the civilisation we have now. Thailand has benefitted greatly, perhaps parasite-like from the democracies in other countries. Setting aside the comment from a previous head-boy that Thailand should 'Take everything from the foreigners and give nothing back', Thailand must admit that it benefits greatly - also perhaps parasite-like from being accepted at the big table of grown-up nations.

Thailand badly needs to grow a few clues about their true place in the world. Then perhaps they'll stop all the 'we're great' BS. If they act now, they still won't be great but perhaps they won't be quite so pissant.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The French Revolutions still on looking at You Tube live.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:
  3 hours ago, jayboy said:

You simply ignore what has been said, and go onto repeat your own prejudices.No foreigner that I know of tells Thais how to live their lives - to deal with your most absurd claim. Nor do foreigners, even those with real Thai expertise, presume to tell Thais how to solve their problems. If you prefer to live in a state of pig ignorance, that is your prerogative but don't try and elevate your lack of interest/understanding into some kind of virtue. It isn't.

I do agree with you that humility is needed and we should be careful not to preach given developments in our own countries. But Thailand is in a bad way and many Thais struggling for a better political system appreciate foreign support. ( so do the dinosaurs - but that's another story.)

Many foreigners have no comprehension of Thailand's struggle for a better society and the sacrifices they have made. At a more basic level, well-disposed foreigners are greatly encouraged when progress is made in Thailand.

As the great poet, Wordsworth said at the time of the French Revolution which seemed to hold out liberty, equality and fraternity.

We are nowhere near that point in Thailand but my sympathies are with those who haven't given up on their hopes.

Of course foreigners tell the Thais how to live, they've been doing it for hundreds of years. There is no difference between listening to a foreigner observing what is wrong with Thailand and Thais (and there's plenty that's  wrong), and them merely observing what foreigners do and copying it - which they're quite good at. I doubt any foreigner told Thais they should build roads, but I'll bet you saw a few today, and roads weren't invented by Thais or in Thailand - they copied them from other nations who thought they were helping their more primitive cousins.

A primitive isolation isn't going to help anyone, nor is naivety about how Thailand has made what progress it has towards being a grown-up nation.

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

Only a dead poet quoting fool would say that there is no attempt by foreigners here to tell Thais how to do practically everything in their lives. Every other post on TV is on how wrong the Thais are in how they handle their problems. Now I agree, they may not be telling the Thais to their faces because that would take guts. And because I choose not to slam another country (while my own is far from perfect) with my 'opinion', I'm either lacking interest or intelligence and then I think of myself as virtuous because I'm stupid? Your arrogance is disgusting, a by product of runaway egocentricity, another one in love of the sound of his own voice. Have at it, I'm sure you'll dazzle a few of your own (especially with those pseudo intellectual quotes)

Which explains your post fully. Always suspected it was bar stool nonsense, you now provided proof.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Bar stool? What part of the bar I left did you not understand. And that explains why your posts are so confusing , your comprehension is woeful!

29 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Only a dead poet quoting fool would say that there is no attempt by foreigners here to tell Thais how to do practically everything in their lives. Every other post on TV is on how wrong the Thais are in how they handle their problems. Now I agree, they may not be telling the Thais to their faces because that would take guts. And because I choose not to slam another country (while my own is far from perfect) with my 'opinion', I'm either lacking interest or intelligence and then I think of myself as virtuous because I'm stupid? Your arrogance is disgusting, a by product of runaway egocentricity, another one in love of the sound of his own voice. Have at it, I'm sure you'll dazzle a few of your own (especially with those pseudo intellectual quotes)

I don't really understand your post and because it is so slipshod, it's hard to deconstruct. Without wishing to be patronising, it's always a good idea to read (and if possible comprehend) what has been said before in a conversation. You do seem to be deeply confused not least because you are under the delusion members are 'slamming Thailand', to use your somewhat unlettered expression.For most of us, the driving force is that we love Thailand and wish the best for the Thai people - not the discredited minority and their enforcers.

22 minutes ago, jayboy said:

....For most of us, the driving force is that we love Thailand and wish the best for the Thai people - not the discredited minority and their enforcers.

Well expressed, Jayboy. I think many of us would wholly side with your sentiments. Some of us really do want to see the Thai people come out on top (even if we do feel, and give vent to, a degree of frustration and exasperation from time to time!).

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Well expressed, Jayboy. I think many of us would wholly side with your sentiments. Some of us really do want to see the Thai people come out on top (even if we do feel, and give vent to, a degree of frustration and exasperation from time to time!).

Unfortunately some posters use language suffused in arrogance and racism.

Thailand has benefitted greatly, perhaps parasite-like from the democracies in other countries. Setting aside the comment from a previous head-boy that Thailand should 'Take everything from the foreigners and give nothing back', Thailand must admit that it benefits greatly - also perhaps parasite-like from being accepted at the big table of grown-up nations. 

Yes, really grown-up. The UK split hopelessly over a reckless referendum, no idea what to do just 2 months from the biggest event since WW2.

America run by a clown with government services shut down.

And on the personal level, one of the attractions for a lot of farangs living in Thailand is the easy going, friendly nature of Thai people and society in comparison to their serious, stressed out and alienated folks back home.

Yes foreigners do have the right to 'utter' their opinion on Thai affairs even if their opinion counts for zero. But since it means absolutely squat, I guess the only reason then is because they're in love with the sound of their own voice lol. Unless you can punch a ballot here I'm not impressed how much taxes you pay, you have no real say. You can bleat like a sheep about a 'dictatorship' but for what end? Because it makes you feel better? Perhaps you're living here in a private fantasy that what you think here is relevant to the outcome of Thai affairs. There's nothing wrong living in a pretend world and in fact judging on what I've read on TV over the years there are even folks you can share this fantasy with online. Its even been suggested here and in other threads that Thais should 'rise up' and 'take the streets' or as above, a quote from a dead American suggesting blood be shed for 'liberty' lol. Why don't all these 'patriotic' foreigners just rise up themselves against the army and show the Thais how to sacrifice their lives for the 'greater good'. LOL. If you guys are so itching to make a difference and leave your mark, why don't you go back to the country you were born in so that your vote and opinion actually mean something? I mean with how messed up some of biggest countries in world are right now (brexit/trump) don't you think they need some help from concerned citizens? There must be political volunteering needs not being met in your respective country, go back there and see if you can make a difference. Because the noise pollution you're generating in Thailand is just reinforcing that you're a legend, in your own mind. 

There you have a rant in support of “keeping quiet” Take your own advice !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Ok, you used the word "racism," therefore the argument is automatically over and the opposing side's view completely invalidated.  Much easier than any attempt at clear thinking.  Got it.

Setting aside the comment from a previous head-boy that Thailand should 'Take everything from the foreigners and give nothing back', Thailand must admit that it benefits greatly - also perhaps parasite-like from being accepted at the big table of grown-up nations. 

If the shoe fits...

Yes, really grown-up. The UK split hopelessly over a reckless referendum, no idea what to do just 2 months from the biggest event since WW2.

Classic whataboutism, another proven discussion-stopper for those without a real argument or point.  No sense of context or proportion, just pissing into the wind.  Well done.

1 minute ago, ramr said:

Ok, you used the word "racism," therefore the argument is automatically over and the opposing side's view completely invalidated.  Much easier than any attempt at clear thinking.  Got it.

If the shoe fits...

Classic whataboutism, another proven discussion-stopper for those without a real argument or point.  No sense of context or proportion, just pissing into the wind.  Well done.

If the shoe fits.... What sort of argument is that? Nonsense.

Thailand has benefitted greatly, perhaps parasite-like from the democracies in other countries. Setting aside the comment from a previous head-boy that Thailand should 'Take everything from the foreigners and give nothing back', Thailand must admit that it benefits greatly - also perhaps parasite-like from being accepted at the big table of grown-up nations. 

And on the personal level, one of the attractions for a lot of farangs living in Thailand is the easy going, friendly nature of Thai people and society in comparison to their serious, stressed out and alienated folks back home.

Please don't talk such rot. If you don't understand what someone else has posted, you could just say 'I don't understand' and come out with at least some credibility. Otherwise, to write nonsense like this post shows an immature and uninformed misunderstanding of what someone else has written. 2/10 must try harder.

[And on the personal level, one of the attractions for a lot of farangs living in Thailand]

I believe you. Who are they?

Since you use them too support your dubious argument, it's only right we should know who they are surely? Name and date of birth ought to be sufficient, to ask for an address would be to invade their privacy.

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

If the shoe fits.... What sort of argument is that? Nonsense.

It's not an argument.  It's an invitation for you to actually engage with the meat of the original "parasite-like" comment that seems so threatening to you.

No ramr, I don't give a toss about 'isms'. 

I dislike this poster because of his attitude towards Thais, as expressed below yesterday

Not a colonial master, but I certainly go out of my way to avoid contact with Thais. I prefer people who can offer me something. Thais just don't have anything I want. *shrug* whatever that makes me is what it makes me, I frankly don't care.

Okay

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Please don't talk such rot. If you don't understand what someone else has posted, you could just say 'I don't understand' and come out with at least some credibility. Otherwise, to write nonsense like this post shows an immature and uninformed misunderstanding of what someone else has written. 2/10 must try harder.

[And on the personal level, one of the attractions for a lot of farangs living in Thailand]

I believe you. Who are they?

Since you use them too support your dubious argument, it's only right we should know who they are surely? Name and date of birth ought to be sufficient, to ask for an address would be to invade their privacy.

I understand exactly what you post and it's arrogant ignorance.

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

No ramr, I don't give a toss about 'isms'. 

I dislike this poster because of his attitude towards Thais, as expressed below yesterday

Not a colonial master, but I certainly go out of my way to avoid contact with Thais. I prefer people who can offer me something. Thais just don't have anything I want. *shrug* whatever that makes me is what it makes me, I frankly don't care.

Okay

But you quoted something entirely different than that, so the lack of clarity is on you.  Again, context please.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

I understand exactly what you post and it's arrogant ignorance.

Well, I don't think you understand very much of it at all, and I wrote it. Still, it is what it is, and your understanding it or otherwise makes not one whit of difference to it's truth or falsehood.

Good luck and have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

Where is the meat in the original parasite?

Maybe I can help with this. Parasite-like in this instance means a total acquisition of the work of someone else, without effort or contribution. Like a leech.

It's disappointing that someone who pretends to understand a culture and civilisation actually understands so little, but hey, not my problem.

5 minutes ago, ramr said:

555.  The Dunning-Kruger Effect is strong with this one.

Not really. In fact not at all, but I understand why feeling threatened by what someone writes should cause you to rush to find something which prevents you from having to think about it. Besides, the Dunning-Kruger Effect only applies if the superiority is illusory, not if it is real or self-evident. In this case, it clearly doesn't apply, but it is a nice if fatuous try.

It must be really frustrating, being so transparent and easily understood. No real effort required.

Archived