Changing to fibre optic internet connection

Wullie Mercer

20 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

True put in new router and fibre optic last week. Now the signal upstairs is very weak and we cannot listen to fm radio with the router and other box on as it causes interference. So not much of an upgrade, but we could get a gigabyte connection for 1500 baht, but who needs anything that fast?

Just changing the position of the antennas might help.  If you have an old modem/wifi you might try connecting that with a LAN cable and locate in different part of house (no cost except LAN cable).  If you do not a remote unit can be bought.  I use old ADSL unit this way and that provides good coverage of six bedroom house.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just changing the position of the antennas might help.  If you have an old modem/wifi you might try connecting that with a LAN cable and locate in different part of house (no cost except LAN cable).  If you do not a remote unit can be bought.  I use old ADSL unit this way and that provides good coverage of six bedroom house.
Lop, can you provide some details on these remote units? What are they xalled/what do they look like etc. I have fiber optic with router connected to the line (see below) and if possible would like range to reach worker's house next door. Currently the singnal there is very weak.20190120_101304.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Lop, can you provide some details on these remote units?

I do not use myself as the old modem/router acts as one without cost of buying new equipment - but you can easily buy units that receive WiFi or LAN and they broadcast from their location to extend your range.  This Lazada page lists many.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719cLlBOmg&q=wifi repeater&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=wifi repeater_0_1

1 hour ago, Issanman said:

Just now:

3BB fibre through Express VPN via Tampa Florida:

52.24 Mbps download and 4.16 Mbps upload.

Some of us don't look at any UK websites, so we are unaware of any UK internet problems.

And some of us do not look at ANY US websites, so thanks for the useless information..... LOL JOKING!

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Lop, can you provide some details on these remote units? What are they xalled/what do they look like etc. I have fiber optic with router connected to the line (see below) and if possible would like range to reach worker's house next door. Currently the singnal there is very weak.20190120_101304.jpeg

I use a TP Link Extender (Invade IT) plugged into an electric socket in the corner of my house.and can get Wi Fi 50 metres from my router, 3BB 100/30

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Lop, can you provide some details on these remote units? What are they xalled/what do they look like etc. I have fiber optic with router connected to the line (see below) and if possible would like range to reach worker's house next door. Currently the singnal there is very weak.

A powerlan device such as the one I gave a link for would probably be the best way of doing this, assuming that your electrical circuits are in fair condition.

Wifi repeater type devices are to be avoided.

Also I dont like the way your boxes are stacked. Keep the wifi router as far away as you can from all other electrical equipment - particularly anything with wifi or transformers - and, if possible, turn off any unnecessary wifi on other devices. Raising the router up away from ground level is usually helpful also.

I have TOT fibre 150up, 50 down. On my desktop, which is connected to a LAN cable, I get between 150 and 180MBPS. On my wireless, anywhere in the house, I get 90mbps. I have a powerful Netgear router, which helps. But even without it, I would get the same LAN speeds. Amazing consistency of service and speeds. I love it. On downloads I consistently am able to download an HD 4 GB file in three or four minutes, providing there are enough seeds. Super happy with the local fiber optic. Kudos to TOT. 

36 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

A powerlan device such as the one I gave a link for would probably be the best way of doing this, assuming that your electrical circuits are in fair condition.

Wifi repeater type devices are to be avoided.

Also I dont like the way your boxes are stacked. Keep the wifi router as far away as you can from all other electrical equipment - particularly anything with wifi or transformers - and, if possible, turn off any unnecessary wifi on other devices. Raising the router up away from ground level is usually helpful also.

Not my experience Kitten. I got one of these 'down the mains' jobbies from Invade, not a cheap one, and it was on it's way back within the hour, did not work. Maybe my electrics are not 100% but the man at Invade told me they had tried them to connect their office, and then went back to Cat cables and wifi.

And totally agree, fix your router to the wall with a couple of screws and put a piece of kitchen foil behind the antennae to bounce the signal in the required direction and not through your wall. My TP Link repeater works 100%. Cheers.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I do not use myself as the old modem/router acts as one without cost of buying new equipment - but you can easily buy units that receive WiFi or LAN and they broadcast from their location to extend your range.  This Lazada page lists many.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719cLlBOmg&q=wifi repeater&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=wifi repeater_0_1

Bear in mind these devices cut the speed by about 50%, if they work at all. Best placed nearer to the router than where you want to use the signal

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Not my experience Kitten. I got one of these 'down the mains' jobbies from Invade, not a cheap one, and it was on it's way back within the hour, did not work. Maybe my electrics are not 100% but the man at Invade told me they had tried them to connect their office, and then went back to Cat cables and wifi.

I think it depends on the brand and model, and also on the house electrics as you mention.

I've had two types of powerlan device. The first one worked well but sometimes needed to be restarted. The second one (Dlink) has worked perfectly ever since it was installed. I use it to connect my bridge-mode 3BB modem to my own router as my phone line is on the wrong side of my condo.

One problem with wifi extenders, as mentioned, is that they reduce the available wifi bandwidth. Also a lot of attention needs to be given to positioning to get them to work well. Certainly no harm in trying either type as it does very much depend on individual circumstances.

I've got 3bb fibre optic. It's rarely delivered the speeds advertised.  Gallingly, it never solved the main problem that I've always had wherever I've lived: a sporadic and often dramatic drop in speed for minutes or hours. Thus from time to time both my upload and download speed might drop from say 30mbs to 0.5mbs.

It's been the same problem wherever I've been, and whatever the equipment used, and with a variety of companies.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

3BB installing Fibre Optic tomorrow. Man just left, all the fone line routers - as well as the fone lines - create many problems for them. So out with the old and in with the new.

Yes, fibre is much more reliable, especially in damp areas. And cheap. ISPs love it.

Just now, mommysboy said:

Gallingly, it never solved the main problem that I've always had wherever I've lived: a sporadic and often dramatic drop in speed for minutes or hours. Thus from time to time both my upload and download speed might drop from say 30mbs to 0.5mbs.

It's been the same problem wherever I've been, and whatever the equipment used, and with a variety of companies.

Then the problem must either be with your own equipment, or with the server you are trying to connect to, or with the routing.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

One problem with wifi extenders, as mentioned, is that they reduce the available wifi bandwidth. Also a lot of attention needs to be given to positioning to get them to work well. Certainly no harm in trying either type as it does very much depend on individual circumstances.

Thanks, the threat of cutting speed is enough to deter me.

to be clear, my interest is in extending the range to the housenext door -- range is already fine within my house and even out in my yard.

So a  LAN cable is not feasible.

it's not essential, just thought maybe there was a device that could amplify the signal or help receive it next door.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, the threat of cutting speed is enough to deter me.

This is your WiFi speed - not your internet speed.  Should not make much difference to most users for normal audio/video use on WiFi - but if downloading/uploading files from the extension locations is needed it would not be near as fast as a LAN cable.

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

it's not essential, just thought maybe there was a device that could amplify the signal or help receive it next door.

Powerlan will normally not work between two houses. It normally only works when both parts are connected to the same meter.

However, if you put a wifi powerlan device in the part of your house that is nearest the house next door then that should increase the wifi strength next door. It does all depend on the layout of your houses and the location of your router as to which solution would be best for you.

Powerlan devices do not affect the global wifi speed, unlike wifi extenders.

See the Amazon link I posted earlier as this explains how they work.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As I mentioned, to outside Thailand on my 3BB VDSL I get much better than the figures quoted.

Have a look at the results of a test performed just now:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7971531908

now try it with this one and let us know, click  enable all https://testmy.net/multithread

I know that different speed tests give very different results. I was just trying to point out that my 3BB VDSL is nowhere near as bad outside of Thailand as some seem to think all Thai connections (fibre or xDSL) are. Several other members have reported that their connections are not so bad either.

So choosing the right provider is important.

I live in a rural area 12 miles NE of Mueang Surin. I am the first of only two 3BB subscribers in the area, located 1 km from the village where our connection originates. I initially had 20/4 VDSL and the actual speed was constantly 27+/7+. When they started offering 30/10, I called the 3BB Bangkok service center and a tech changed my account settings and after rebooting the modem, my speed was 38+/14+. When I upgraded to 100/30 Fiber, I now get 128+/38+. On the internet testing feature on my PS4 Console connected to Sonys network servers in Singapore, the speed is 112+/31+.  I stream US TV, AUS TV, BBC, VUDU, Amazon Prime and US Netflix content generally every day with no streaming issues.  Backs in the States, I had AT&T U-Verse 30/10 that cost me 2x what I'm now paying for 3BB Fiber. No complaints from me about 3BB's service.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Then the problem must either be with your own equipment, or with the server you are trying to connect to, or with the routing.

I've had many computers devices, including mobile phones, so I don't think it's the equipment.  I think it's the router/server.  Fiber optic certainly took the speed up, but didn't cure the instability issue.  I can't be sure though, but friends have also had the same issue.

24 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I think where you live is probably equally or possibly more important.

In pre ADSL and FIBER days perhaps but now in most areas good internet is available within Thailand from all providers that serve the area. and they do provide paid for service speeds (or you change) - the slowdown is mostly external links and for that provider can make a difference, but it can also vary by route and times.  Remember that artificial caps may be placed on speed under contract fair use policy if too high for too long.  Expect many of us have that happen on occasion and blame the internet connection.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

In pre ADSL and FIBER days perhaps but now in most areas good internet is available within Thailand from all providers that serve the area. and they do provide paid for service speeds (or you change) - the slowdown is mostly external links and for that provider can make a difference, but it can also vary by route and times.  Remember that artificial caps may be placed on speed under contract fair use policy if too high for too long.  Expect many of us have that happen on occasion and blame the internet connection.

Well, whatever it is, it is a fact of life for me- it happens every day and doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason. I'll make enquiries about another server, but don't expect much to improve. 

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

TOT, not impressed, some days its lower than 3 to the UK and all they say is "outside thailand not guarantee and cannot help" Looking into other companies which were never available in the sticks in years gone by.

TOT probably worst ISP in Thailand.

I had their fiber for a whole 2 weeks before i kicked them out, as I had a special clause in my contract that I could cancel at any time.

Paid for 2 weeks connection and they didn't even wanted the fiber modem and Toto router back for which I coughed up 10 Baht.

There must be a thread somewhere on here with my story including screenshots from speed tests.  You should be happy with your 10Mb as that is about 10 times what I got on some evenings ????

You most probably will also need to enable the VPN in the evening if you want to stream anything.

By the way, 3BB do free installation with free router included, on their fiber

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I know that different speed tests give very different results. I was just trying to point out that my 3BB VDSL is nowhere near as bad outside of Thailand as some seem to think all Thai connections (fibre or xDSL) are. Several other members have reported that their connections are not so bad either.

So choosing the right provider is important.

If you know that then you should also be aware that quoting a speedtest.net is not a credible source, as they use multi threads to get to that result same as a torrent or a download manager.

testmy.net is the only real life speed test I'm aware of, because they use a single thread, as that is all you get when streaming

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Looks like your router is hidden behind some furniture.

Moving your router and placing it as high as possible, or closer to a window, may improve the signal already significantly.

You also don't mention the distance to the workers house

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

If you know that then you should also be aware that quoting a speedtest.net is not a credible source, as they use multi threads to get to that result same as a torrent or a download manager.

testmy.net is the only real life speed test I'm aware of, because they use a single thread, as that is all you get when streaming

Actually the best possible test is real-life itself, and not a test at all.

53 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Actually the best possible test is real-life itself, and not a test at all.

Care to explain how you do that?

You can connect to a stream and it either play or doesn't play properly, but in the latter case it doesn't tell you if the issue is at the upload source or at the receiver end, or the ISP throttling the stream with ( DPI )Deep packet inspection. DPI does not affect speed tests.

By doing a speed test which uses a single connection, you know if your speed is sufficient, and at least know if the problem is at your end or not.

Archived