Changing to fibre optic internet connection

Wullie Mercer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

If you know that then you should also be aware that quoting a speedtest.net is not a credible source, as they use multi threads to get to that result same as a torrent or a download manager.

Perhaps you have not used speedtest.net recently but they have option to use either multi or single thread.  Believe most of use download multi thread or multi items in real life so in fact it is quite reliable in that case using multi.

Here's a tip to save some money. I recently downgraded my 3bb fiber optic connection because it was too fast!! I was paying 1200 baht for a 200/100 connection which indeed it was to the Bangkok server. But as my maximum download speed from USA or UK is around 50mb/s I downgraded to the 100/50 package for 750 Baht. Guess what, my international downloads are still 50mb/s.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps you have not used speedtest.net recently but they have option to use either multi or single thread.  Believe most of use download multi thread or multi items in real life so in fact it is quite reliable in that case using multi.

No i didn't use that site for long time, because multi thread is not reliable, and will never be because do you know in advance how many threads you gonna get on your next download?

It is like a cyclist doing a speed test on a downhill, unless you consider that also a reliable result

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In pre ADSL and FIBER days perhaps but now in most areas good internet is available within Thailand from all providers that serve the area. and they do provide paid for service speeds (or you change) - the slowdown is mostly external links and for that provider can make a difference, but it can also vary by route and times.  Remember that artificial caps may be placed on speed under contract fair use policy if too high for too long.  Expect many of us have that happen on occasion and blame the internet connection.

You say that, but there are often complaints, even in this thread, that such and such ISP providers fiber connection is bad yet another post will praise the same ISP. In many rural areas the fiber connection is only to the nearest microwave or satellite link, and depending on how many subscribers that shared link can just get overloaded. Where you live is certainly a factor to consider.

Just now, Stocky said:

In many rural areas the fiber connection is only to the nearest microwave link, and depending on how many subscribers that shared link just gets overloaded. Where you live is as important as which ISP you pick.

Isn't any credible ISP supposed NOT to overload their connections, and provide a reliable service to their customers?

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Isn't any credible ISP supposed NOT to overload their connections, and provide a reliable service to their customers?

Certainly, but do you honestly believe that even the best Thai ISP adheres to that kind of customer service commitment?

" a  LAN cable is not feasible. "

You know the situation at your house and the worker's house and I don't, so you're probably right. Just wanted to throw this in:

Ethernet connections are much more robust than you'd think. My media PC was much too slow and erratic on Wi-Fi so I ran a piece of 8-conductor telco wire up the wall, across the attic, and back down to the router. About 15 meters and it ran at gigabit speed. Two years ago that wire got damaged in the attic. I hand-spliced all 8 conductors, wrapped them up in tape. That would seem a criminal act, yet it still runs perfect at gigabit speed.

I should also mention a CCTV camera that's on proper outdoor Cat 5 Ethernet. It's only on a 100mbps device but it's 45 meters away and has been running perfectly for three years.    

So, sometimes LAN cabling can be the right choice. String it through the trees!

I am a fan of TOT Fiber. I've had both TOT & 3BB DSL prior to them stringing fiber down the road.

Both of the DSL services were enough to make you want to tear your eyeballs out in frustration.

TOT Fiber2U is pretty solid. 

Now international speeds always going to be tricky due to the throtolling at the CAT gateway with all of them. 

Some of the latest VPN protocols help defeat that, but you are always at the mercy of CAT.

But back to fiber, it's priced competitively and it a helluva a lot more stable.

Oh and if one of your alternatives is True, avoid like the plague. Their double NAT makes everything much much harder

On 1/20/2019 at 3:10 PM, tweedledee2 said:

I live in a rural area 12 miles NE of Mueang Surin. I am the first of only two 3BB subscribers in the area, located 1 km from the village where our connection originates. I initially had 20/4 VDSL and the actual speed was constantly 27+/7+. When they started offering 30/10, I called the 3BB Bangkok service center and a tech changed my account settings and after rebooting the modem, my speed was 38+/14+. When I upgraded to 100/30 Fiber, I now get 128+/38+. On the internet testing feature on my PS4 Console connected to Sonys network servers in Singapore, the speed is 112+/31+.  I stream US TV, AUS TV, BBC, VUDU, Amazon Prime and US Netflix content generally every day with no streaming issues.  Backs in the States, I had AT&T U-Verse 30/10 that cost me 2x what I'm now paying for 3BB Fiber. No complaints from me about 3BB's service.

Well obviously not.  I have the same service 3bb as you and my speeds vary from 32mbs download to 0.5mbs, though it's mostly the former.  Instability is the big issue.  Like another poster, I think area and customer numbers has a lot to do with it.

Archived