Russian teenagers rescued after getting trapped in Pattaya condo lift

rooster59

Russian teenagers rescued after getting trapped in Pattaya condo lift

49236530_978626805661988_4434175479645208576_n.jpg

Image: Pattaya Update News

Two Russian tourists had to be rescued after becoming trapped in an elevator at a condominium in Pattaya on Saturday.

Mr. Amirbek Alimov, 17, and Ms. Mariya Mikhaylova, 19, were trapped for almost two hours in the elevator at Angket Condominium. 

The alarm was raised when one of the teenagers called their mother shortly after 1 AM on Saturday morning saying the lift had stopped between the 7th and 8th floor and they were trapped inside.

After almost two hours, rescue workers finally managed to free the teens.

Source: Pattaya Update News

Thaivisa News: 2019-01-20

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The alarm was raised when one of the teenagers called their mother shortly after 1 AM on Saturday morning saying the lift had stopped between the 7th and 8th floor and they were trapped inside.

They had to phone someone to get help? Lifts supposedly have alarm buttons on the inside.

39 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They had to phone someone to get help? Lifts supposedly have alarm buttons on the inside.

They might be two tough and resilient teenagers, but they were still kids, and who's the person you call when there's a problem (at least in normal families)? The available parent; and in this case it was Mum. 

Besides, I doubt that these Russian kids were fluent in Thai, let alone spoke English. 

I am more concerned with the fact that it took 2 hours to free these  kids. Where was the elevator technician? In a big city like Pattaya, there should be 24/7 emergency service just like there is in any big tourist city. What I don't understand is why there was no fire crew there. Whenever someone gets trapped in an elevator, whether its in Brisbane or Osaka or Topeka or Shanghai or Lyon, the fire department always responds because of the potential for an electrical malfunction fire. Instead, there were the  body snatchers and BiB.

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

They might be two tough and resilient teenagers, but they were still kids, and who's the person you call when there's a problem (at least in normal families)? The available parent; and in this case it was Mum. 

Besides, I doubt that these Russian kids were fluent in Thai, let alone spoke English. 

When you push the alarm button the alarm should ring and should attract the attention of someone in the building who knows what to do or who to call. Nothing wrong with calling your mother too, but the alarm button is the first thing to think about. There should be no need to talk Thai as the alarm should be enough.

Presumably all the mother did was contact the building security anyway, which probably accounts for some of the delay in getting help.

For me two hours doesnt seem very long to get someone out of a stuck elevator at 1am.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

For me two hours doesnt seem very long to get someone out of a stuck elevator at 1am.

And fortunately the lights didn't go off.

2 hours trapped in a dark elevator is "less fun".

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

And fortunately the lights didn't go off.

2 hours trapped in a dark elevator is "less fun".

Yes, I can vouch for that. Especially if the lift starts moving again!!

I had that experience in KL about 20 years back. Lift was in a bank of four at a shopping centre / condo (KL Plaza on Bukit Bintang) and, after eventually getting it down to basement level to start an attempt to prise open the doors, it suddenly took off again, going up about 8 floors. They had not isolated the lift so that anyone pressing a button brought my lift into action. This happened a few times. As well as dark, it also started to shake. Not ideal.

When they eventually got me out (I was alone, no 19yo Russian girl!!) I said to one of the guys that I was getting a bit concerned. His response was, so were we!!

Archived