Pattaya police arrest thief who stole from foreign tourists while they were swimming

rooster59

Pattaya police arrest thief who stole from foreign tourists while they were swimming

50247576_2302438496456138_3172611905407680512_n.jpg

Image: Ruk Siam News

Police in Pattaya on Saturday announced the arrest of a Thai man who they say is responsible for a spate of thefts from foreign tourists.

Police said that Thanakorn Saiwong, 29, would prowl the swimming pool areas of local condos and hotels looking for foreigners who had left their room keys unattended on their chairs when they went for a swim.

Police said Thanakorn would commit the thefts from condos and hotel which he knew displayed the room number on the key. Once he had taken the key he would simply enter the victim’s room and help himself to the their personal belongings.

In four separate incidents in just the past week, Thanakorn had stolen cash and valuables totalling 300,000 baht, which included an iPhone 8, a MacBook computer, watches, credit cards and passports. 

Police said they were able to catch Thanakorn, who was known to them, by studying CCTV footage. 

Police said the thefts took place at Laguna Beach 3 Resort, Rizin Hotel, AP guesthouse and Jomtien Thip Condo.

The victims were identified as Aleksandr Soltanov, Denis Kurchenko, Ralf Udo Mayer and Britt Ulf Niklas Birgersson.

Thanakorn has been charged with carrying out the theft now faces between 1 year to 5 years and fined from 20,000 baht to 100,000 baht.

Police added that the stolen items will be returned to the victims.

Source: Ruk Siam News

Thaivisa News: 2019-01-20

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Count the number of publicity hungry cops; meanwhile Pattaya taxi-drivers flout the law of the land every hour with impunity and local support from Pattaya Plod.

Hey Hey Hey!  Easy there on the taxi drivers.

Shortly one will find 5 squillion baht in that taxi and give it back to the farrang.

Patience my friend, patience, ????

25 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Police said they were able to catch Thanakorn, who was known to them, by studying CCTV footage. 

"Look! There is the guy we let go last week after a 500 baht fine! Lets make it 1000 baht this time. I want to try that new seafood restaurant."

16 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Uhhm, is anyone  else wondering how the chap had such easy access into the condominium buildings?  What about the security in the lobby?

During our honeymoon in a 5star hotel phuket the nightguards and lobbyist were sleeping at night...full in sight behind the counter.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Silly bloody farang pointing, how did he know who to point at, did he see him stealing... No, pc plod said farang you point at him for the photo.????

How about the falang having previously identified his stolen property found in the possession of the thief, Sherlock?

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Silly bloody farang pointing, how did he know who to point at, did he see him stealing... No, pc plod said farang you point at him for the photo.????

..while the farang was holding a sign, saying "they all look the same to me."

Slightly OT, but to prove it works both ways, I remember a report of a court case in the UK, thieves stole cash from a Chinese takeaway. The lawyer asked the owner of restaurant if he could see the accused in the courtroom. He replied, "They all look the same to me."

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

How about the falang having previously identified his stolen property found in the possession of the thief, Sherlock?

What a crazy comment, whether the farang identified property or not, he was told by police point now.

1 minute ago, SammyT said:

I don't get why the Thai thief gets to cover his face, yet any westerner who commits even the smallest crime is paraded in front of the media sans-facemask

It's a coin toss. There have been a few other crime stories recently where the perpetrators face was shown (example: the fresh-out-of-jail piece of scum who raped his mother, plus other stories).

1 minute ago, neeray said:

It's a coin toss. There have been a few other crime stories recently where the perpetrators face was shown (example: the fresh-out-of-jail piece of scum who raped his mother, plus other stories).

Fair call. However, I don't think I've ever seen a westerner afforded the facemask treatment. Not that I care of course - you commit the crime you take whatever punishment comes at you - often in the form of media and people pointing at you

1 minute ago, SammyT said:
3 minutes ago, neeray said:

Fair call. However, I don't think I've ever seen a westerner afforded the facemask treatment. Not that I care of course - you commit the crime you take whatever punishment comes at you - often in the form of media and people pointing at you

Wasn't the photo of the rapist taken as he was being arrested/transported elsewhere?

Whereas the photo-opportunity (for the police) held in a police station must give the individual the chance to put on a face mask first.

Perhaps the westerners aren't as savvy as the Thais as to concealing their face - more like 'local knowledge'?

3 hours ago, neeray said:

So hilarious !

(the silly re-enactment)

Rather than be Hollywood-wannabe actors, the boys in brown should be out on the streets "protecting the image of Pattaya".

Good idea but how many of them could really explain what law was broken at the time and the designated fine for breaking that law, truthfully.

4 hours ago, neeray said:

So hilarious !

(the silly re-enactment)

Rather than be Hollywood-wannabe actors, the boys in brown should be out on the streets "protecting the image of Pattaya".

the re-enactments are so pointless and weird... if i was that russian guy watching that thief re-enact his crime...i would be seriously struggling, not to give him a hidding....primitive, but it would probably deter him more than any fine, which doesnt get paid anyhow....

Archived