Foreigner doing small farming

TheWarrior

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have never heard of that before and I suspect that it is possible, but you may have to talk to the land owner, the pu yai ban (village leader), and if they agree you will have to go to the amphur (area local administration), the people in there who deal with the land boundaries and land registration and lawyers.

It may be and possibly is that you personally as a farang will not be able to do it, though your Thai wife/gf may be able to do it without your name appearing anywhere.

Thailand for some reason, good or bad does not like foreigners owning land in Thailand. You can have a condo provided that there are more than 51% Thais in the building but you cannot own the land it is built on.

Your wife/gf can own land and a house theron and you can take out out a 30 year ownership of the house (I have forgotten the correct name for it). If you split up nobody can take away your right to live there but sadly you would have to negotiate the right to cross their land to get to the house.

In my case my wife had a plot of land and I gave her the money to but the plot next door. I also gave here the money to build the house and it is her name. I am 21 years older than her and most probably will die first. If she dies before me, legally I will own half the land and house and our son will own the other half. 

As a farang I have to dispose of my share which is easy as I will give my share to my son. If I stay and refuse to part with my share than Thai law forces me to sell it within one year or the government will sell it over my head.

TBH at 74 I really don't want to own it but to live here until I die.

Sorry about the long ramble but even if you provide the loan money it cannot be see to have come from you and you will most likely have no rights to either the land or your money back IMHO.

Ok thanks. This was very informative. Actually I want to live in Thailand, BUT I dont plan to have Thai Wife or Thai GF. I think my culture is very different then Thai culture when relationships are in question. But I think I would like Thai culture to live there. I guess I will talk to lawyer in Thailand to clarify the things, so I dont spend my brain waves on something that is not possible ????

Thanks Again

Cheers

1 hour ago, TheWarrior said:

Ok thanks. This was very informative. Actually I want to live in Thailand, BUT I dont plan to have Thai Wife or Thai GF. I think my culture is very different then Thai culture when relationships are in question. But I think I would like Thai culture to live there. I guess I will talk to lawyer in Thailand to clarify the things, so I dont spend my brain waves on something that is not possible ????

Thanks Again

Cheers

IMHO if you have no Thai wife or gf then your plan will be as dead as a dodo.

Without a Thai person (wife/gf) then your plan is dead from the start.

The first of the problems that you will run into is the labour laws which prevents a farang from certain jobs and one of those is farming.

IIRC you will need to form a company of which you can ONLY own 49% and you will need to employ at least 4 Thais to work with you before you can apply for a work permit which you will not be granted as farming is a Thai restricted job.

I am quite happy to be proved wrong on this point but AFAIR without Thais in the melting pot it is unlikely to happen.

I believe that you definitely need to speak with not just one lawyer but at least 3 or more different ones to give you the best 2 from 3, 3 from 5 opinions.

I understand that it will be a PITA but ask the lawyers before you go too far and lose your money before you start.

I don't know what kind of farming you intend to try but it has been said many times on TVF, if you want to make a small fortune in farming in Thailand, then start with a large one and be prepared to lose a large chunk of the large fortune.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

I don't know what kind of farming you intend to try but it has been said many times on TVF, if you want to make a small fortune in farming in Thailand, then start with a large one and be prepared to lose a large chunk of the large fortune.

I didnt SAID I want to DO farming. I SAID I want to LIVE on the land.

But the input is very good (If I take out some sarcastic remarks). Thats the reason I'm posting this. to get some inputs. And if it is not possible not possible. I dont expect the lawyer to make miricles. I wanted to get some facts here. When I go to the lawyer just to clarify.  Better to know the facts before I jump. I dont want to learn as I go and loose bunch if not all the invested money.

Cheers

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

IMHO if you have no Thai wife or gf then your plan will be as dead as a dodo.

Without a Thai person (wife/gf) then your plan is dead from the start.

The first of the problems that you will run into is the labour laws which prevents a farang from certain jobs and one of those is farming.

IIRC you will need to form a company of which you can ONLY own 49% and you will need to employ at least 4 Thais to work with you before you can apply for a work permit which you will not be granted as farming is a Thai restricted job.

I am quite happy to be proved wrong on this point but AFAIR without Thais in the melting pot it is unlikely to happen.

I believe that you definitely need to speak with not just one lawyer but at least 3 or more different ones to give you the best 2 from 3, 3 from 5 opinions.

I understand that it will be a PITA but ask the lawyers before you go too far and lose your money before you start.

OP, this is correct and just about wraps up your question.

However, I would think it would be possible to find a small plot of land to rent, somewhere out in the sticks, put in a little knock-down house and grow your own veggies without too much problem. You'll never own the land but you'd save on a capital outlay.

In my 30+ years here all i can say its a sign of trouble messing about on Farms. Often caused after blowing too much when the first arrived, and now needing a supplement. If not Farming, they try Teaching. Even those with Wives eventually get creamed by living amongst the Family, who definitely benefit from day one. till its all gone. Must be some who made it but never heard of one.

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

In my 30+ years here all i can say its a sign of trouble messing about on Farms. Often caused after blowing too much when the first arrived, and now needing a supplement. If not Farming, they try Teaching. Even those with Wives eventually get creamed by living amongst the Family, who definitely benefit from day one. till its all gone. Must be some who made it but never heard of one.

Firstly, congratulations on your 1st year's membership on TV. Your post reads you have been in Thailand for over 30 years. I would love to hear your story should you care to share it.

20 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Firstly, congratulations on your 1st year's membership on TV. Your post reads you have been in Thailand for over 30 years. I would love to hear your story should you care to share it.

20 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Pointless, all the Old Hands know the facts, their not in financial poo.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, TheWarrior said:

Is it possible for Foreigner to rent small land like 5-12 rai. And a small scale farming on it in Thailand?

Lets get this thread back to the original question. 

My answer is simply, YES. 

Farming here in Thailand is just that, farming! Anywhere in the world the only people who would consider being involved out of choice do so because they want to. It is a lifestyle choice to live in a small community. Basic costs of living are lower than cities. What you choose to spend on "the farm budget" is up to your discretion. 

For the OP, if you want to rent and work a small farm, then do it. The expectation is you will return the land no worse than it was. Any improvements you make are at your cost and you are free to take what you can with you. The rest stays where it is when you pass back the land. 

38 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Lets get this thread back to the original question. 

My answer is simply, YES. 

Farming here in Thailand is just that, farming! Anywhere in the world the only people who would consider being involved out of choice do so because they want to. It is a lifestyle choice to live in a small community. Basic costs of living are lower than cities. What you choose to spend on "the farm budget" is up to your discretion. 

For the OP, if you want to rent and work a small farm, then do it. The expectation is you will return the land no worse than it was. Any improvements you make are at your cost and you are free to take what you can with you. The rest stays where it is when you pass back the land. 

Myself IA  farmerjo, and a good few other farangs have been farming before they come to Thailand and know all the pitfalls, someone from outside farming decides to give it a go, thinking about the good life,  and it all goes wrong they will be the ones writing on forums saying so, ie the guy who somehow lost? 2 million baht on a Ford tractor <deleted>, someone did not do the homework before, investing.

Yes, we have had problems we lost 40rie of corn, no rain and that was in August, I have worked with cattle for 25 years I still brought a Thai heifer that was well barron ,would never have a calf (a Freemartin), had to sell her for meatballs.

We are still farming, and hope to for a while yet.  

It would be a pity to see this forum disappear, but I honestly see that happening. Genuine advice and experiences have always been shared freely and I for one have benefited. I remember years ago, another TV member commented that this was one of the only troll free forums. Newbies here are fortunate to have access to some truely great advice. 

I think others may share my opinion that riches from farming are best measured in enjoyment and achievements not financially. When it stops being fun, stop doing it. Six years ago my plans went pear shaped and I have been back in Australia for the last 5 years getting back to a position where I could come back and start again. 

So again to the OP, it is possible, it is definitely rewarding, but it is hard work and it ain't free! If you are up  for it, do it with no regrets.

2 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

It would be a pity to see this forum disappear, but I honestly see that happening. Genuine advice and experiences have always been shared freely and I for one have benefited. I remember years ago, another TV member commented that this was one of the only troll free forums. Newbies here are fortunate to have access to some truely great advice. 

I think others may share my opinion that riches from farming are best measured in enjoyment and achievements not financially. When it stops being fun, stop doing it. Six years ago my plans went pear shaped and I have been back in Australia for the last 5 years getting back to a position where I could come back and start again. 

So again to the OP, it is possible, it is definitely rewarding, but it is hard work and it ain't free! If you are up  for it, do it with no regrets.

image.png.a155171343f8ae6165dcb3ae5a0d0622.png

I am an Australian and I am dog sick with all the politically correct BS that dominates social troll media. Get a job, do something that entitles you to have an opinion. But do not suggest that all Thai women are vultures waiting to swoop on idiots with pockets bulging full of money. 

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

I am an Australian and I am dog sick with all the politically correct BS that dominates social troll media. Get a job, do something that entitles you to have an opinion. But do not suggest that all Thai women are vultures waiting to swoop on idiots with pockets bulging full of money. 

image.png.79da74c09492afb98292ecfd14e13de5.png

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the age of the OP.

It IS important because the type of visa needed is important.

If the OP is over 50 and can put up 800,000 baht and/or 65,000 baht per month then a retirement visa is possible. The downside is that a retirement extension prohibits the OP to work.

With no Thai wife or g/f the OP cannot get get a Thai wife extension which does allow him to work but in selected categories only and farming is not permitted.

Tourist multi entry visas would work for a while but not forever as Immigration is clamping down on those too.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the age of the OP.

It IS important because the type of visa needed is important.

If the OP is over 50 and can put up 800,000 baht and/or 65,000 baht per month then a retirement visa is possible. The downside is that a retirement extension prohibits the OP to work.

With no Thai wife or g/f the OP cannot get get a Thai wife extension which does allow him to work but in selected categories only and farming is not permitted.

Tourist multi entry visas would work for a while but not forever as Immigration is clamping down on those too.

I am now on retirement extension, and now I go to immigration on my own, the wife does not sign anything now, I am basically on my own re visa.

As for farangs farming this has been written a hundred times, I have been farming for 12 years, so have other TV members you keep yourself to yourself, speak a bit of Thai, help out your neighbours, you should be ok.

I know with retirement extension you can not work the above has worked for me, immigration know we have a small holding, I have talked cows with one of there offices, still no problems  I just say it is all the wifes, you play fair then they will be ok with you.

But will Big Joke throw  a spanner in the works, watch this space 

Archived