newbie in chiang mai

Penphak

can anyone recommend a scooter rental shop that rents by the month?

Also just about to buy a 55 incher (TV) A Hyundai or a samsung? Ive heard that tv plus and some sort of Android top box is the way to go to get the most ? best channels.

Anyone have any tips or recos on how to go about this?

Do people still buy tv sets?

Not had a tv since my life in the UK 9yr ago.

I tell a lie, I do have one that I bought with all the small change i collected by not tipping at restaurants, but that was a waste.

With You tube and movie/netflix websites , everything can be had on a regular laptop or smartphone

A soi off Loi Kroh Road opposite the Duangtawan Hotel has a scooter rental shop. Reasonable prices, about 2500 baht/month. Automatics with about 20K to 30K on the odometer.

Life will not be easy if you do not have a motorbike IDP or Thai driving licence. Expect fines if that's the case.

Wherever you rent, if they want to hold your passport as security, walk away. They should only need a photocopy.

Big C has a wide range of smart TV's. Size governs the price. IMHO Samsung would be a more established brand.

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

With You tube and movie/netflix websites , everything can be had on a regular laptop or smartphone

Not quite the same watching the football on your phone at the weekend.

I have a TV solely for the football and the odd movie.

Most other TV these days is rubbish though.

KP.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Is there insurance included with those prices

(I doubt it).

Is insurance offered additionally when renting?

None required by Thai law I assume?

What happens if the scooter is stolen?

I was told by Bikky when I rented there once that if a person has a valid drivers license then you you have insurance coverage. Mango said the same when I asked .... and like Bikky that was well over a year ago. Yes I would ask at each rental place.

Since I have a valid Thai license I didn't ask if an IDP was acceptable.

I don't believe the insurance covered the physical motorbike. If it is damaged/totaled you pay for it. Mango includes a value of the bike in the rental agreement.

20 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

KP.

Really? Oh, thank you for your objective perspective. I wonder what a whole succession of highly professional and enjoyable TV series I ve watched recently are? A figment of my dreams?

10 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Is there insurance included with those prices

(I doubt it).

Is insurance offered additionally when renting?

None required by Thai law I assume?

What happens if the scooter is stolen?

Most times just mandatory Gov't insurance. 80K max

You damage it - you pay

It gets stolen - you pay

No way for you, as the renter, to purchase additional coverage.

If you are looking at buying a TV I am thinking that you are here for a while. Buy a used bike for 20k-30k. Plenty of good deals. Make sure you get a Thai license as quickly as possible. Not hard to do. Dead simple if you already have a motorcycle license. A little more effort but not too much so if you don't. It will make your interactions with police much quicker and easier. 

23 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Do people still buy tv sets?

Not had a tv since my life in the UK 9yr ago.

I tell a lie, I do have one that I bought with all the small change i collected by not tipping at restaurants, but that was a waste.

Who wants to watch a blockbuster movie, or a Premier League match on a lappy or phone. Get a BIG smart TV.

21 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

KP.

It is in USA. Try BBC instead.

22 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

KP.

How would you know as you can't afford a decent TV or sound system to watch it?

Just now, KhunProletariat said:

What do you know about my finances, Marcus?

Do you have a link to those too?

KP.

If you had a good TV and sound system you would not have said it's rubbish because for those of us who can afford it - it is great.  Great, sound, great picture, great content.  Better than the original as the screen upgrades the experience and FLAC the sound. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you had a good TV and sound system you would not have said it's rubbish because for those of us who can afford it - it is great.  Great, sound, great picture, great content.  Better than the original as the screen upgrades the experience and FLAC the sound. 

Marcus, once again you are misinterpreting my meaning. I didn't say TV's inherently suck, what I said was the programs on offer these days (especially day time TV from the US & UK) are below par.

Take your time and read my posts thoroughly in future or you will end up showing yourself up again.

KP.

9 hours ago, Gracas said:

How can you not like all those wonderful Reality TV shows they have in the USA.

There are enough of them in UK as well. You must be selective in your watching. Just into Les Miserables on BBC, Mrs Wilson was great, First Witness, and all the Attenborough stuff. Get a good VPN (I use Express) and it's at your service. ITV and Channel 4 do good documentaries and dramas too. As for wanting movies....extratorrent or Kickass downloads for all the latest. Sorted.

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

FLAC is a method of compressing audio files without any noticeable degredation of the sound. It cannot apply to audio or TV streaming. 

Archived