gluay tort / fried banana fritters ?

Penphak

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Only available in the banana season which starts in 3 months.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

I was just having a conversation today about bananas and concluded that they dont have seasons.

Depending on when your new plant starts, fruit will there 12month later often less.

My bananas are ready aug sept, my neighbours ready pretty much all year round as he has a field of them.

I can buy bananas from my local man every week non stop.

So I never heard of bananas having a growing season?

We had bananas ripen last week. Takes us a long time to get through one stalk (or whatever the collective name is) !

There is a fried banana vendor between Lanna Palace Hotel and the next intersection going west. Quite popular with many locals.

The best (IMO) are from the seller who comes every Saturday and Sunday to the Ruam Chok weekend Market and sells them. She is there year round and I think she grows the bananas. We buy them from her at least twice a month. In fact she was there yesterday. She has many customers who call in their orders and she sells a lot of them. If you turn into the parking lot using the first driveway (where the new Starbucks is being constructed), look to your right and she is the 2nd vendor from the end closest to the driveway.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The small bananas,my favorite,from  Kamphaeng Phet Province,

are seasonal and are are only available during the rainy season. 

regards Worgeordie

Finally somebody who acknowledges that there are different kinds of bananas and seasonality. ????

In Indonesia they have great banana fritters made of very big green bananas...i've never seen those in thailand also not fried.

What i see here is grilled small banana's but that's totally different than tempura banana fritters aka pisang goreng.

These battered dipped bananas seem pretty common out in the countryside markets, every day.  

Must say that the offered video of fried banana fritters is not to helpful as the girl shows us a bag of 'powder', described only in indo language.  To make at home i suggest using tempura batter, and best to use japanese cake flour in making,  certainly not bread flour.

PS.  I always fry in peanut oil, never buy palm. 

The best I've found so far are on a street stall between the CM Uni gates on Huaykaew Road and opposite where the rotdaeng buses queue to go up to Doi Suthep it's virtually outside the Vietnamese restaurant nearby.  They close quite early in the afternoon so best to get there before noon.

Archived